How To Cure Your 6.0L Coolant Puking Problems! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Choke_On_My_Smoke, this thread has received 38 replies and been viewed 18141 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

How To Cure Your 6.0L Coolant Puking Problems!

First of all thanks for a warm welcome..

We all know we live with this coolant puking problem, some of us in stock form, mild form and specially those beating their motors with a 10lb maul!

EGR is the number one problem on the list, Ford designed the Exhaust gasses that get recirculated into your engine for a better enviroment to get cooled by an EGR cooler, the EGR cooler is only 1 3/4" thick. The exhaust gasses are getting so high the coolant is actually getting Flash boiled, remember this is the same coolant that is supposed to cool your engine down. My solution is to leave the stock EGR plug in the sensor, and block off the exhaust part of the system. We can start a "NEW" thread about HOW-TO plug your system if you guys want.

Second, I do recommend the switch from head bolts to Head studs, as the design of the 6.0 head only carries 10 MAIN bolts, and 5 smaller ones. Their pressure capacity from Factory is 195,000 PSI, they are NOT holding up, and stretching and causing the head in it's weak areas to actually lift upwards and seperating and losing contact with the engine deck surface. Cylinder Pressure will find the least restrictive point of exit, and you got it, it's finding your cooling passages in your head to leak cylinder compression into. This is causing blown head gaskets, warped heads and even engine decks! The solution "PERFORMANCE HEAD STUDS" with atleast a PSI of 245,000 or a stronger metal, like a grade H11.

When doing the upgrade make sure you trash your old head gaskets as they are no longer good. Also take the time to take your heads to a machine shop to get them checked for cracks, and warpage. Once you are ready to install purchase from Ford their NEW upgraded head gasket kit. Problem solved!

Another thing that is not helping is we purchase "CUSTOM" tunable boxes, but yet we let the tuner the the custom part, we need to speak with them and let them know what WE want. Like some tuners/modules peak your timing way too high, or place your PEAK HP at redline zones in your RPM range.

With this told, this has been my trial and error to finally say, This IS YOUR SOLUTION!

I hope this helps many, as I had to learn the hard way. Take this as a small manual of needed upgrades to think about before going HP crazy.

-X Marks The Spot! :agreed:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 08:34 PM

Good Post X

Phil
[B]2003 GMC 2500HD
It's got a few things done to it....
with more to come.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 08:39 PM

Give that man another chance at the FASS!
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 10:21 PM

X and I have both been through the same situations with these motors. I have to agree with what he says fully. There are some guys out there making aftermarket head gaskets for the machines. That may replace the upgraded Ford ones. Good Post.
BUMP

:agreed: :Thumbup:
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 01:11 AM
'Ol Builder guy

Choke on my smoke,

Nice post. Thanks for the helpfull advice. :Thumbup:

BTW: Very nice numbers. What did you have to do in terms of mods to get there?
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
Choke on my smoke,

Nice post. Thanks for the helpfull advice. :Thumbup:

BTW: Very nice numbers. What did you have to do in terms of mods to get there?
Thank you guys! Just trying to help out as alot of people are running into walls and getting frustrated and tossing out the 6.0L, This motor has SO MUCH potential, that I ran my times, with bolt on items. stock block, stock heads, stock turbo. Tell me what other motor that can do that?

Mods go as follow:
H11 metal grade Head Stud Kit
Custom Metal Head Gaskets
Eliminated EGR system
Custom Intercooler & Piping
High Flow Injectors
Custom Tuned Box stacked with a PDQ Fuel Volumizer
Upgraded Tranny Kit
NOS Wet System
4" downpipe w/ 4" exhaust NO muffler NO Kitty
Custom Airaid intake
Few Mods to the Stock Turbo :Thumbup:

All in All I have about $4500-$5000 invested TOPS!
Now compare the simple bolt-ons and the cheap price it took me to get those time slips, compared to other motors. I guess we still dont want to beleive the 6.0's potential!

-X
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 11:40 AM

I wouldlove to see some pics on the egr block off!
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISurvivedNMU
I wouldlove to see some pics on the egr block off!
x2

Brian call me I have lost your phone # is why I haven't called you back
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choke_On_My_Smoke
I ran my times, with bolt on items. stock block, stock heads, stock turbo. Tell me what other motor that can do that?

-X
I'll tell you one, all stock minus a programer, transwork, exhaust= 12's :evil: J/K with ya

My dad has an 05 550 thats bone stock. He works the crap outa it(tows plows ect.), has 8k so far. It will stay stock but what should I do to it to keep it happy? If I tell him he has to put studs in his so far ok motor with no problems he is going to tell me to pound sand. Are these EGR mods important and whats involved? Thanks BTW
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlover
I'll tell you one, all stock minus a programer, transwork, exhaust= 12's :evil: J/K with ya

My dad has an 05 550 thats bone stock. He works the crap outa it(tows plows ect.), has 8k so far. It will stay stock but what should I do to it to keep it happy? If I tell him he has to put studs in his so far ok motor with no problems he is going to tell me to pound sand. Are these EGR mods important and whats involved? Thanks BTW

HEY! "SECURITY!!!!" "SECUURRITTY!!" Your not allowed in here!!! :roflmao:

Common on in and JOIN THE FUN!

-X
The Following User Says Thank You to Choke_On_My_Smoke For this addition to TDG:
American_Pride (12-04-2010)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode