The License Plate Mod - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 4cstr, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 5488 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
4cstr

The License Plate Mod

Ok...this is my weak attempt for a "How To" article so that I can get my name in the drawing for the FASS system. Be nice Phil...

I got incredibly tired of my block heater cord always dangling out in front...where bugs, birds and the winter salt just ruined the end. After replacing the cord end a couple of times...I thought something had to be better.

I wish I could take credit for the actual idea...but that came from another user on another board. I did however...act upon the idea and made it a reality. Many guys were taking a Marinco Charger Inlet and drilling through the bumper. You can hardwire the block heater directly to this. I don't like the idea of drilling through my bumper. I like it just the way it is.

So...what about hiding it behind the license plate? But then you need access. Ok...I remember my '76 Chevelle had a flip down license plate holder in the back to get to the gas tank. They were super popular back then...and covered a wide range of automobiles.

I gathered my parts. I need some metal strap for the license place mounting frame. A flat piece of steel for the mounting place for the charger inlet and the flip-up(in this case) license plate holder. I purchased my charger inlet, and also bought a contractor grade 3 outlet plug. I wired this directly into the charger inlet...then plugged the block heater into that. This left me two more slots incase I wanted to add an oil pan heater and/or an in cab heater.

The first part of getting the old license plate holder off and getting the new frame mounted. This is the metal strap I used. Its 1 3/8" wide and bendable...but sturdy. I cut two pieces about 16 inches long and mounted them in the old plate holder holes. At the top...I bent them 90 degrees inward and bolted them up into the bumper from the bottom. Here is the completed frame, and here is how the top of the frame is mounted. I am laying on my back looking up to take this shot.

I then cut and mounted the mounting plate. I don't remember how big of hole I needed for the charger inlet...but when you order it there are instructions on how big of hole you need. I believe I cut the mounting plate 5" by 9" and bolted it to the new frame. Can see here. I also drilled holes for the license plate holder.

Next came the license plate holder. I went to the local wrecking yard and found one right away on a mid-80s GM. Guy wanted 10 bucks...cheap enough. Got it home, inverted it and bolted it up the the frame as well. This is now what it looks like. I then needed to figure out a way to keep the license plate up when my truck was plugged in. I didn't want it resting against the cord. A quick walk through Menards solved my problem. I screwed a gate hinge onto the back of the license plate holder and use it to keep the plate up. This is how it looks...and this, this, and this is how it works.

Now my block heater it protected...and I will admit that I have received a lot of compliments on this set-up. Almost everybody says that I should patent it...but I'm just too lazy to go through that. Total cost of this mod was around $40...and that included the charger inlet, the license plate holder, straps, mounting plate, paint and a beer or two.

So Phil...does this get me entered? And...since it can be done on the other diesels (GM and Dodge) can I get my name entered 3 times?? :

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 03:06 PM

I'll make an executive decision here...... It counts..... Cool idea by the way....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 03:11 PM

Dang Dave...I like how To's....Cool Idea BTW

Phil
[B]2003 GMC 2500HD
It's got a few things done to it....
with more to come.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 01:42 AM
'Ol Builder guy

That IS really cool.

We don't have front licence plates in PA, but I guess I could do a sports team license plate I like inplace of a DOT license plate???

If you didn't have a licence plate, would the uncovered plug look bad? I wonder if it could be mounted underneath somewhere to hide it?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 10:35 AM

Dave that's a great idea and looks cool to. May look at doing something like that on my '95

John
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Diesel Fume Crazy

You could also put an on-board air outlet and a 12V DC Connector for jumper cables behind the front plate. That way you never have to open your hood to give the buddy a jump when he leaves his lights on in the pouring rain.

Paul H
FOKISD Webmaster
2004 True Blue Metalic F-350 CC Dually 6.0L Stroker, 410:1 rear gear, 151K Miles,:shrug:

1996 Royal Blue Poly F-350 CC Dually 7.3L Stroker, GMT built 4R100 tranny with triple disk converter, 410:1 rear gear, 322 K Miles, Cali fuel regulator kit, TYMAR Intake, Hypermax DP, 5" straight stacks, ISSPRO Gauges, Ryno Liner, Luverne Steps, Ride Rite air bags
FOKISD member
My Pictures
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 11:03 PM

That is a great idea! Thanks for the info. ANother mod when I get my PSD
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 02:46 AM
whistling up a storm

Garage
What a great addition to an already useful mod! Thanks for the idea.

For those that are going this route, I picked up a plate holder from a 90's Buick Roadmaster today, it is springloaded to stay open or closed. I'm not sure what other vehicles were equipped with this.

'03 PSD 6.0 CCSB 4x4 Lariat loaded-no moon or pedals. SCT XCAL2 by LIPD/DP-Tuner CORRECTED BY RYAN @ SCT
DR EDGE 4.5 with signature shocks, HELO MAXX 8's on 325/65/18 Nitto TG's, 4" MBRP 409 SS turboback w/ powertube, cat delete, and 6" tip, AEM brute force intake, Sinister EGR Valve/Cooler Delete and Coolant Bypass Filter, Y-PIPE, Upipe upgrades, Overhead ISSPRO EV2 GUAGEs (4), Tint, ventvisor, rockford fosgate/XM, Vector bedliner.
MODS: blockheater lic plate, AIC, steveracer, Harpoon, zoodad, flipped cc seat brackets.
To Do list:CCV Reroute
Wishlist: power rear seat, power rear slider or Sleeper cab
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 03:51 PM

Too bad Dave wrote all that....then became a mod...and disqualified himself from the contest.... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by en4cr
ANother mod when I get my PSD
PSDs are cool

05 f350 crew cab long bed, 10.5" rize, deaver rears, bilstein 5150s front and back, 38x15.50x18 **** cepek mud countrys, 18x9.5 pro comp 1023s clearcoated, 4.56s, pml diff covers, rize ladder bars, rize dual stabilzer with bilsteins, adj. trac bar, amp reasearch steps, doug tuned sct, airaid with zoodad, 5" straight pipe, fluidampr, welded egr, shimmed regulator, isspros, viair 480c with nathan p3, husky mats, marathon seat covers, uws toolbox, uws 100 gallon transfer tank w/15gpm pump, uws dog box

01 f150 supercrew, 33" mud grapplers, stock, for sale $13,000

05 brute force 750, snorkeled, lifted, 29.5x12 outlaws front and back, black type 7s, intake, hmf pipe, moose, asr tie rods

06 raptor 700se, 734cc, 10.75:1, cammed, intake, ported/polished, yoshi pipe w/ fmf header, power commander, 15t front, yfz shocks, 20" holeshots, soon to be 770 stroker...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode