Modding the IDM on a 7.3 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by KarTek, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 29158 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
TDG Member Since 2004?

Garage
Modding the IDM on a 7.3

Just a disclaimer before I begin. This procedure involves modifying sensitive electronic components - any number of which, if damaged will completely ruin the IDM which can cost anywhere from a couple hundred to over $400. During the process of doing this modification, electrostatic discharge safety procedures must be observed in order to protect static sensitive devices. By following the instructions for this modification, you acknowledge that you have the skill and experience to complete this modification and accept full responsibility for any damage that may result. Please read all the instructions before starting.

It's been widely discussed that raising the output voltage of the IDM will improve performance but the exact effect is not so well documented. In this article, I'll add my personal experience and back it up with dyno proven results.

On the Superduty, the IDM is located on the driver's side, behind the fender liner. There are 4 8MM bolts and 4 7MM bolts holding the liner on. You'll also need to remove the porcupine wire holders from the engine side of the liner to free it to move down, out of the way to access the IDM.

With the liner removed, this is the view back toward the rear of the truck. Here you see the IDM.

Remove the battery cables, then use a 10MM socket to remove the IDM's electrical connector. Once the bolt is loose, release the plastic tab on the side of the connector to free it from the IDM. Next, remove the 2 10MM bolts holding the IDM mounting bracket to the fender.

For the next step, you will need to remove the IDM's cover. You may want to leave the IDM in it's mounting bracket so you can clamp it in a vice for easier handling. This is the most dificult part of the job. The cover is secured by a silicon type substance that maintains a weatherproof seal. It's important to maintain the integrity of this seal when re-installing the cover later in order to continue to insure the protection of the delicate components inside.

There are probably several ways to remove the cover but I chose to carefully drill a 1/8" hole in the corner (holding the box upside down to keep any metal fragments out), screwing in a dent puller and carefully pulling until the corner popped out enough to get hold of and then gently working it the rest of the way off. After completion of the job, I'll seal the hole with a pop rivet and some silicon sealer.

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, this is how the cover looked when I was done pulling it. Lukily, it's aluminum and it's fairly easy to straighten.

Once inside, this is the component you're looking for - the little blue one with 6042 written on it:

There is some clear gel on the surface of the PC board that may have to be scraped away before the component can be removed. Use a pencil type soldering iron (not a soldering gun, it's too big and too hot for the small conponents) and some forceps, tweezers or other slender needle nose pliers to gently heat and remove the resistor.

For the replacement resistor, I placed an order with Digi-Key corporation. The resistor is a .5W 73.2Kohm 1% metal film. My IDM is an IDM 120. IDM 100 and 110 require a 75Kohm.

Here's a shot of the packages I received. I ordered both resistor values just to be sure I had the correct one.

Here's a shot of the components just to give you an idea of the scale.

Next, bend the leads on the new resistor and snip them off short. Attach the part as ahown here using a small quantity of high quality, low lead solder. The milky appearance on the board is the result of the heat in close proximity to the gel sealant.

Once the new resistor is installed, re-connect the IDM to the trucks harness, re-attach the battery cables and start the truck to test the operation.

Here's the IDM re-installed for testing:

After a successful test, use some appropriate sealant ((Ford) F5TZ-19G204-AB (5oz, 1/2 caulk tube), (Wacker) T-442 or (International) 1830858C1 is recommended) and replace the IDM cover. I took the extra step of clamping the IDM between blocks of wood for 24 hours to ensure that the sealant was completely cured.

Finally re-install the components in their proper locations, replace the fender liner and re-attach the wiring harness holders.

Dyno results and driving impressions will be added at a later time. Please post any additions or corrections and I'll incorporate them into the article.

-Evan

2000 Ford F250, Merillion, 6sp, AIC, DPTuner, BB turbo, Adreneline pump, modified IDM.

1998 Mercedes E300, Custom injector nozzles, soon to have Eaton M90 supercharger, 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 turbo and a full custom intake and exhaust system = 400HP from 3.0l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 02:04 PM
4cstr

Nice writeup Evan....can't wait to hear about the dyno and what if any improvements are noted.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 07:23 PM

Any dyno results yet?

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 02:15 AM
TDG Mafia Member #56

Can this be done to the obs trucks? Thanks Ryan.

2005 Dodge 3500 CC LB 5.9 48RE Smarty 5" Silverline Exhaust AFE Stage 2 305/70/17 Nitto Grapplers Tinted Windows
Putco light bar
1968 Corvette Coupe 5.9 cummins 47RH with Goerend parts assembled by Gilmore Performance 180 pump built by Smokem 12pt cage Ford 9" with spool 35 spline moser axles pro gears Quick Time DOT drag slicks tilt front end soon to get paint and more air.
1995 F-350 Crew Cab soon to be 6 door DRW Hauler project: 5.9 conversion in progress ZF5 speed destroked adaptor plate King pin D60 3.55 gears

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
TDG Member Since 2004?
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWrencher1
Can this be done to the obs trucks? Thanks Ryan.
Hi Ryan,

Yes it can and I understand that it has an even more dramatic effect! As a bonus, your IDM is much easier to get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehauler
Any dyno results yet?
Not yet. I missed the dyno day that I had planned when I first did the writeup. I have another at "Smokin' in the Smokies" next Saturday and I hope to have the results then.

-Evan

2000 Ford F250, Merillion, 6sp, AIC, DPTuner, BB turbo, Adreneline pump, modified IDM.

1998 Mercedes E300, Custom injector nozzles, soon to have Eaton M90 supercharger, 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 turbo and a full custom intake and exhaust system = 400HP from 3.0l
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
TDG Member Since 2004?
Threadstarter

Garage
Just another update: I was shut out of the dyno day on Saturday so I'll have to make an appointment with my local dyno to get it tested.

-Evan

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 02:45 PM

i never picked the resistors by the IDM model numbers, always by the part numbers. what part number is your IDM? the first 4 numbers/letters.

idm mod was always good for 45hp/100 ft-lbs. the smaller resistor will make less power, slightly.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
TDG Member Since 2004?
Threadstarter

Garage
I should have looked at that, Joe. But I didn't think about it since I was going off of the info on the other site. Is there any safety factor to going with the smaller resistor across the board? As far as not pushing the other components closer to their limits?

-Evan

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:26 PM

what kind of resistor should i use for mine i have a OBS truck and i whant the maximum out of this mod. does it make the truck smoke any?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode