Anyone interested in an exhaust install thread? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Snake, this thread has received 34 replies and been viewed 18668 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Sumo Blue

Anyone interested in an exhaust install thread?

Just put a 4" MBRP turbo back single on my truck (muffler and cat delete). I know its a very basic mod, but for new guys like me, it might be helpful. Is it worth posting, or is this as dumb as "how to rotate your tires?"

Oh--got "after" pics as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 10:27 PM

Cant hurt.

Lets have it! :
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 10:37 PM

I think its a great idea... fo rthose that hove not done it... With pics on unbolting from the turbo... It is pretty straight forward.. But nice to know what they might get into before they purchase...

For example on the fords, you have to remove the tranny bracket or cut the stock exhaust to get the turbo downpipe out... There are little things like that that people dont tell you until you get the exhaust in hand..

Brian
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Sumo Blue
Threadstarter

Allright, here goes:

My truck: 2005 F-250 Harley Davidson Crew Cab with the Powerstroke (single rear wheel, obviously).

For those of you who aren't sure if you want to attempt this on your own, I'll say this: if you can loosen and tighten some nuts and bolts, insert a round peg into a round hole, and cut a piece of pipe (either with a plasma cutter or a pipe saw), you can do this mod. The directions from MBRP are :bow: I was able to easily follow them and I need things broken down shotgun style before I understand.

Tools: socket set, plasma cutter (or pipe saw), flathead screwdriver, floor jack (optional), friend (recommended)

Install time: 2-4 hours depending on proficiency and wrench turning ability

My turbo back system came in on Friday and I finally was able to hang it today. Its a 4" turbo back system (3.5" downpipe, 4" all the way back) with a 5" tip. I opted to go with the cat test pipe and the muffler delete. What a freakin' difference! The turbo spools quicker, there's a nice rumble at idle, and under throttle it roars! The turbo whistle is much more noticable at all rpms and at idle, it really does sound like a jet. Very little drone at highway speeds and at 60-70mph, there's enough rumble to make other drivers look around to see what's coming up on them. In cab, you barely notice a difference unless you're mashing the skinny pedal on the right. With the radio on, you can't even tell you had an exhaust system put on.

The install was pretty easy. We didn't even put the truck up on a lift. Actually, taking off the old exhaust was the most difficult part. After removing the clamps behind the cat, the section of pipe with the muffler (goes up over the axle and back to the tip) was a biotch to get out. We ended up cutting the tip off with a plasma cutter and pulling the pipe forward to the front of the truck. The cat came off easy, but getting the factory downpipe out was impossible without another cut. Its obvious that Ford put the exhaust in before they installed the tranny and the tranny crossmember. Cutting the pipe by the crossmember was difficult, only because of the limited space. It was hard to see where your cut was on top of the pipe and we had a couple of mis-cuts where they didn't line up.

Finally got it all out, and then on to the install. We kept all the bolts loose so we could twist and turn the pipes for clearance. The tightest spots were at the down pipe (firewall clearance is minimal), at the mid-pipe (two bolts on the frame come awfully close to the pipe and you have to pay attention to them or you'll get some clanging when you hit a bump), and at the very tail end of the exhaust. I only noticed this because we had the azz end of the truck jacked up so the back end was unloaded. The helper leaf spring comes pretty close to the pipe. However, once the weight was back on the wheels, there was considerably more room. I still don't think you'd have a clearance problem unless you completely unloaded the rear end (huge bounce), but its nice to know you won't dent your pipe if you're gettin' nuts. You really have to ensure the pipe is "square," meaning the axle hump is straight up and down. The clearance between the spare tire, the pipe, and the leaf spring is pretty close. Keep the clamp bolts loose and pull the extension pipe back a little. This should provide the clearance you need between the leaf spring and the pipe. And before you tighten everything down, put your tip on to make sure you have enough clearance between the bottom of the quarter panel and the top of your pipe.

Oh--and you're going to have to cut the extension pipe if you have a short box (6 3/4' bed). If you're measuring in from the straight section of the pipe, measure in 15" . If you're measuring from the bent end of the pipe (as per the directions), your cut needs to be 29" from that end. Have a crew cab with a 8' bed? No need for cutting the extension pipe. If you think about it, this makes sense: the long bed is 8' and the short bed is 6 3/4' so the long bed is 15" longer than the short bed. You don't need to be perfect with the cut because there's a little play forward and backward once you slip the pipes together. And the factory cat is the same length as the cat test pipe (a tad over 28"), should you need or want to interchange the cat and the cat test pipe.

We tightened the clamp at the end of the extension pipe first (the muffler end, or towards the back of the truck). Next, we checked the clearance of the downpipe and midpipe and tightened the band clamp at the turbo.

**TIP** Put a 1/2" - 3/4" piece of wood between the midpipe and the two bolts on the frame rail where there's limited clearance. Then when you tighten the clamps down, the pipe will sit away from the bolts sufficiently.

Then just work your way back tightening the clamps. Make sure they're tight, but don't over-torque the nuts or you'll compress the pipe and restrict airflow.

Like I said, putting this thing on was easier than taking the factory one off. Total time was around 3 hours and I'm up and running. No clangs, no leaks..........just a great sound and better performance.

I'll keep you posted on mpg gains--I can't believe how restrictive the cat was! You can't even see light through that mofo!

Some before and after pics.
#1 Factory muffler
#2 No muffler, but lots of fingerprints
#3 Cat
#4 No cat
#5 View through the cat. Notice you can barely see any light through this thing. Very, very restrictive. issed:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Muffler.JPG
Views:	1302
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1316   Click image for larger version

Name:	No muffler.JPG
Views:	1446
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat.JPG
Views:	1242
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1318   Click image for larger version

Name:	No cat.JPG
Views:	1412
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat view.JPG
Views:	1370
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1320  

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Sumo Blue
Threadstarter

More pics of the install

#1 Finished product
#2 5" tip
#3 Another shot of the tip
#4 Leftover stuff.........arrows pointing to the cuts. The one on the left is where we cut the pipe in front of the tip to get it out over the axle. The one on the right is where the downpipe was cut. The cut is just in front of the tranny crossmember (when the downpipe was still in the truck). The MBRP muffler and the cat are also in this pic. They'll both find a nice home in my garage.
#5 Security system (unrelated to the exhaust) :bow:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust 1.JPG
Views:	1276
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tip 1.JPG
Views:	1067
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tip 2.JPG
Views:	909
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leftovers.JPG
Views:	1378
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Security 2.JPG
Views:	1082
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1325  

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 05:31 AM

It's late so...... :shrug: I just looked at the pics.

FYI, NAPA has 2,3 or 4" Stainless Steel band clamps that work wonders. They do not cost that much, maybe 8.00 per clamp? The bands seem to seal the pipe better, don't dent or bend the pipe and will come off if needed.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Obviously Intuitive !

Good write up.... and SHARP looking truck there Snake !
bet the Rots keep it that way too

still trying to decide what I want to do with my 05 Ex....
don't want the loudness in the cabin I had before with straight pipe,
but may try a muffler delete first and see how it sounds...

if that doesn't work out,
then try a good flow thru muffler , the 05's downpipe doesn't look nearly as bad as the 03's crushed beer can looked

Need to do something soon since I'm getting the SCT Xcal2 this week... (hopefully )
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Sumo Blue
Threadstarter

One thing I liked about the MBRP system is that the cat test pipe and muffler delete came separately. If I had too much noise or a bad drone, I could loosen a couple of clamps and put the muffler back on.

And thanks for the compliments.

--Snake
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake
Just put a 4" MBRP turbo back single on my truck (muffler and cat delete). I know its a very basic mod, but for new guys like me, it might be helpful. Is it worth posting, or is this as dumb as "how to rotate your tires?"

Oh--got "after" pics as well.

EXCELLENT POST SNAKE!!

Very informative, and to detail, no post on a HOW-TO project is stupid, I encourage more post like these, no matter how simple they are as their is always NEW members coming in, and it makes it so much easier to know what you are getting into beforehand, We can make an Excellent Tech Forum!

:Thumbup: :Thumbup:

-X
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 02:58 PM
4cstr

I'll second that choke! All write-ups are worthwhile.

And I'll also second the tip about test fitting everything. When I put on my MBRP duals...we had everything up and fit was perfect. We were really happy with it..so began to tighten everything down.

It was only when we tried to put the spare tire back up that we had issues...major issues. You know how hard it is to re-tweak pipes that have already been tweaked by the clamp. issed: Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth during that part of the project let me tell ya.

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode