Overhead Livewire Mounting - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Flopster843, this thread has received 0 replies and been viewed 1941 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Still kickin

Overhead Livewire Mounting

I prefer to have my livewire mounted in a location where it's easy to get to and easy to read but not blocking a lot of the view. However, the suction cup window mount and regular obd2 cable won't allow you to mount it in a very good spot. It's ether to far away to read clearly, or it's taking up a lot of room. So I decided to make my own cable and mount for a better install.

I wanted to have the livewire mounted in the top left hand corner of the front windshield. So first things first, I decided to make a low-profile cable for the livewire since the original hangs down to far and is impossible to do anything with.
Attachment 11528

The cable consists of the OBD2 connector on one end, and a standard CAT5E computer Ethernet cable that you can get at walmart. Rather than cut up my main cable and risk it not working. I bought a second cable and joined them together with a male to male adapter. You'll need to trim back about 1/4 inch of the plastic from the plug to allow a flush fit when inserted fully. I ended up cutting away the main support for the cable, so be careful with it. I then filled the backside with RTV to add some more support. Here's a view of the cable that came with the Livewire (left), the standart CAT5E ethernet cable (center) and my modified CAT5E cable (right).
Attachment 11530

Now when the cable is inserted it can be folder around the back of the livewire to take up almost no room at all.
Attachment 11529
You could use this trick to make it sit closer to the dash as well.

Now I needed to make a custom bracket to mount the livewire closer to the windshield. I came up with this piece I made from some scrap aluminum I had laying around the house.
Attachment 11532 Attachment 11533
I made it reach up above the head liner and attach to the same bolts that hold the sun visor in place for added strength. I got suction cups from the craft section of walmart to stabilize the mount. The suction cups are just to hold it steady, they support no physical weight at all. Then I plugged the modified CAT5E cable into the livewire, the regular end into the adapter, the original cable into the adapter, and then into the OBD2 port. To ensure everything fit and worked as it should.
Attachment 11531

Then I re-installed the sun visor mount and anything els that I took apart, along with hiding the cable in the A-pillar. I coiled the excess of both below the dash. Now it's all mounted up nice and neat, and I still have my original cable 100% in tact if I ever wanted to remove it for any reason.
Attachment 11535

An extra thing I thought about was to do something with the OBD2 connector by your feet. It hung down pretty low and I was always scared that I would kick it and break it off. So, I unbolted the plug and mounted it to the other side of the bracket. Super easy to do. Now the livewire plugs in from the firewall side and sticks up behind the dash where it is impossible to kick.
Attachment 11534

I had this done in a days time. Most of which was spent planning a mounting bracket. It's not a hard project, but you will need some way of working with metal to make the bracket. And if you want a black cable, be sure to buy a black cable. I made the blue one here with the thought of painting it black, but it turns out that paint doesn't stick to the coating that is on most of these cables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Livewire Old Cable.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	10564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Livewire with New Cable.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	10565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable Compare.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	10566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket and Cable Assy.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	10567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket 1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	10568  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket 2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	10569   Click image for larger version

Name:	OBD 2 Port.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	10570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Install.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	10571  

John
08 6.7 QC SB 4x4 "hand-shaker" edition, De-Badged, EGR Delete, TTT Mirrors, Auto Exhaust Brake, etc.
All details and instructions --> www.CarboniteCummins.com

Successfully blew up three 6.0s before moving up in the food chain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flopster843 For this addition to TDG:
vcassens (05-02-2010)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode