Dinger Removal - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Flopster843, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 2241 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Still kickin

Dinger Removal

Let me start out by saying that I did NOT come up with this mod. I read about it several different places but nobody ever did a "how-to" article to make it easy for everybody els. So I figured that I would.

I'm sure you all noticed that annoying seatbelt chime that always comes on whenever you get in the truck, and the chime that you hear whenever you have the keys in the ignition and the drivers door open. This mod with eliminate both of those. You can now listen to the radio while cleaning out your truck. However, this does not eliminate the other chimes. Whenever you get out of your truck and leave the lights on you'll still get the "ding ding ding" until you turn them off. And whenever that low fuel or check gauge light comes on you'll still get the "ding." I personally like to have those before something bad happens to the truck. (dead battery, out of fuel, etc.)

First I'll cover the seat belt light/chime since it's the easiest. All you have to do is reach under the seat and unplug the connector going to the seatbelt latch. If you have 2 connectors don't worry. 1 of them is for the power seat functions. If you unplug one and your seat doesn't work, just hook it back up and unplug the other.
Attachment 12609

To disable the "key in ignition" is a little more involved and you'll need some basic tools.

Tools needed:
#2 Phillips screwdriver
Small item to press the lock ball. (Small allen wrench, nail, etc.)
Electrical tape.

Unbolt the plastic shield from around the steering column by removing the 3ea phillips screws from the bottom. You don't have to take it completely off.
Attachment 12610

Insert your key into the ignition and turn to the ON position without starting the truck. You will see a small BB looking thing on the bottom of the ignition switch housing. Similar to the lock ball that holds a socket on the end of a ratchet.
Attachment 12616

Depress that little ball with your allen key/nail/whatever and pull outward on the ignition switch. The switch will come right out in your hand.
Attachment 12615 Attachment 12613

Pull the ignition switch the rest of the way out and place it to the side.
Attachment 12614

When you look in to the new hole in the side of the steering column you'll see a small black clip with 1 wire connected to it on the outer ring. On my truck it was a black wire with a pink tracer.
Attachment 12611

Remove this clip by pulling outward. Then tape up the plug at the end with electrical tape. Once it's tapped, just stuff it back into the steering column out of the way of any moving components. The way the chime wire works, is when the key is inserted it causes that black wire to ground, in which case engages the ding. Take the wire before you tape it up and ground it to something while your door is open, the ding will start and won't stop until you remove the wire. I didn't tape it up at first and it just went off one day and I had to dis-assemble the steering column again to fix it.
Attachment 12612

Once you have all this done just reinstall in the opposite order you took it apart. Put the top half of the cover on first and then reinstall the ignition switch by simply sliding it back into the steering column. Then bolt up the bottom cover with the 3 phillips screws you removed earlier. Congrats, you're done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seatbelt Plug.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	11490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seering Column, bottom.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	11491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinger wire.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	11492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinger wire with tape.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	11493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ignition swich released.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	11494  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ignition swich removed.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	11495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Push pin depressed.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	11496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Push pin location.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	11497  

John
08 6.7 QC SB 4x4 "hand-shaker" edition, De-Badged, EGR Delete, TTT Mirrors, Auto Exhaust Brake, etc.
All details and instructions --> www.CarboniteCummins.com

Successfully blew up three 6.0s before moving up in the food chain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:41 AM

ahh the sound of nothing but the radio... great write up.

early '99 converted to late '99 F-350 dually, 4x4, 4 door, long bed, 6 speed. Midwest transmissions 05+ zf-6 transmission with their short throw shifter and SB clutch. Rosewood 180cc with 80% nozzles, Termy modded 17* HPOP, International bellowed up pipes, fs-2500, DP Tunes. A few other things here and there...
dually club member.. Why replace 5 tires when you can replace seven? I like my training wheels...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 02:27 AM

I had this mod leave a soft code but went away in a 2002 F-350
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 05:37 AM
********* and Mafia #90

Thanked 1,333 Times in 985 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bcarriveau Send a message via Yahoo to Bcarriveau
Worked great for me!! Thanks man

Bill Carriveau OFFICIAL POO HAULER

ARP studs, sct, Leveling kit,Airdog set at 62psi with no factory pump, leveling kit,5" stacks, under cab lights, Large in the way Fan shroud Removed, bed Lights being Re-did. Large Alternator(250amps)(130 amps was so 2003). On 3rd set of Hgs(soon to be 4th), 2nd set of heads, 2nd tubro, egr cooler, FICM and more. When i Turn the Key it does return a Favor, not always in MY Favor.
Da Rules..Here
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1249694332
Windows 7 Takes the WIN!
Windows 8 might take that Win
http://www.bcarriveau.com/
Dear Tequila:
We had a deal. You were supposed to make me sexier, smarter and a better dancer. But I saw the video. And I think we need to talk..

How you name your Thread is Important. Read Here

The TDG TOTQ

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 06:12 PM

Great write up but the door dinger can be done in easier. In order to remove the tumbler there is a hole in the plastic cover to depress the spring loaded ball. When you get this out it will look like the 6th pic. then just remove the steel piece from the orange plastic and put the tumbler back in.

2001 F-250 7.3L Ext. Cab, SB 4X4, MBRP 4in, DIY intake, autometer pillar gauges, DP F5 tuner (40,80 and 120), ride-rite air springs, 08 Diff. cover.

1977 F-250 5.9L Cummins Nv4500 Dana 80
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 05:53 PM

it easer to just get a clip depress the door button
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 06:42 PM
********* and Mafia #90

Thanked 1,333 Times in 985 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bcarriveau Send a message via Yahoo to Bcarriveau
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog98
it easer to just get a clip depress the door button
I disagree strongly. this took less then 2 min.

Bill Carriveau OFFICIAL POO HAULER

ARP studs, sct, Leveling kit,Airdog set at 62psi with no factory pump, leveling kit,5" stacks, under cab lights, Large in the way Fan shroud Removed, bed Lights being Re-did. Large Alternator(250amps)(130 amps was so 2003). On 3rd set of Hgs(soon to be 4th), 2nd set of heads, 2nd tubro, egr cooler, FICM and more. When i Turn the Key it does return a Favor, not always in MY Favor.
Da Rules..Here
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1249694332
Windows 7 Takes the WIN!
Windows 8 might take that Win
http://www.bcarriveau.com/
Dear Tequila:
We had a deal. You were supposed to make me sexier, smarter and a better dancer. But I saw the video. And I think we need to talk..

How you name your Thread is Important. Read Here

The TDG TOTQ

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 12:58 AM

does this affect the feature when the keys are left in the ignition and the doors wont lock till they are removed.. for those forgetful people.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Still kickin
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestoffroad
does this affect the feature when the keys are left in the ignition and the doors wont lock till they are removed.. for those forgetful people.
It didn't have any effect on my truck. The wire removed was for the dinger only. But we all know how they change things from month to month on the assembly line............

John
08 6.7 QC SB 4x4 "hand-shaker" edition, De-Badged, EGR Delete, TTT Mirrors, Auto Exhaust Brake, etc.
All details and instructions --> www.CarboniteCummins.com

Successfully blew up three 6.0s before moving up in the food chain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode