Modified Gutter Guard Radiator protector - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by drgriff, this thread has received 0 replies and been viewed 1222 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Modified Gutter Guard Radiator protector

First I removed the grille and set it aside. I had previously done the zoodad and felt comfortable drilling the radiator support. I placed 4 holes in the radiator support on each side (see picture 1). The holes have to pass through the full thickness of the support (so that you see the holes beside the radiator and beside the headlights). Then using gutter guard bought at Lowes I wrapped the end of the gutter guard around the top half of the left support so that it "sandwiched" both sides. Then I attached the end with an 8" zip tie through the top two holes I drilled. I then passed the gutter guard behind the two center supports of the radiator support and sandwiched the right support, attaching the other end with another zip tie. Doing it this way, the gutter guard is wide enough the do just one strip at the top and a second at the bottom to completely fill in the space behind the grille. I am a fairly anal- retentive person and did not like the small gap in the center so I added a third strip splitting the difference between the first two. Then it was just a matter of reinstalling the grille. Others have glued the gutter guard on the grille but I wanted something that I would only have to install once and not redo if I decide to replace the grille.
This took a total of about 45 minutes but most of that time was spent chasing the dog to get the gutter guard roll or passifying the 4 year old who really wanted to help. The hardest part was feeding the zip ties through the holes because the support is hollow in the middle and when you drill the "fibers" of the composite partially block the holes. And if I ever want to remove or replace I just cut the ties and can have it back to stock in minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6027.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	12691   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6028.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	12692   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6029.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	12693   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6032.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	12694   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6034.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	12695  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode