The Diesel Garage banner

custom fuel system

20K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  PowerstrokePower55 
#1 ·
i did my fuel system completely custom. there isnt one part of the stock fuel system still on the truck.

i first removed all the stock fuel lines and HFCM. the front passenger fuel line from the filter housing to the head had to be cut for me to get it out easily. the driver side came out easy. i also had to remove the plugs in the back of the head. since i was doing it all i pulled the uppipe and y-pipe out to give me more room.

for the install, i used Earls 90* o-ring fittings on the front and and back of the heads. http://www.jegs.com/i/Earl's/361/949092/10002/-1
i then ran -6AN stainless braided fuel lines from the fittings on the front and back of the heads to the front to -6/-6 Ys. then from the -6 Ys to a -6/-8 Y. at the back of the -8/-6 Y i put a male/female -8AN fuel pressure fitting. then from the fitting i ran -8AN stainless braided down along the path of the stock system to the Airdog FP-150.

i mounted the Airdog using the brackets that came with the airdog kit. the Airdog kit came with -8 push connect fuel line and fittings, larger fuel pickup, the bracket to mount, and the electrical to hook it up. the directions that came with my kit were good.

in order to install the larger fuel pickup i had to drop the tank. i drained the tank first and then it was rather simple to drop it. i believe it was a 1 1/8" hole that needed to be drilled. i was going to put my pickup near the back but i do more than just drag race so instead i put it near the stock pickup.

after the pickup was installed i hooked up the fuel line that will go to the Airdog. this is also the time to cut the fill tube to install the return line. after the pipe was installed i hooked up the return line as well. then i put the fuel tank back in and ran the feed and return line to the Airdog.

as far as the electrical part goes, all i really needed to do was hook it up. i ran the wire harness up along the frame and mounted the relay near the battery. instead of having the trigger hooked up to the stock fuel pump(HFCM) power wire i ran it to a seperate fused switch.

that pretty much completes the install. so it goes like this. 1/2" ID pickup tube, -8AN push to connect fuel line from the pickup to the Airdog. from the airdog a -8AN push to connect line goes back to the fuel fill tube for the return. from the Airdog is a -8AN stainless braided line that goes up to a -8/-8 male/female fuel pressure port fitting. the fitting is attached to a -8/-6 Y to (2) -6AN fuel lines. those lines then go to (2) -6/-6 Ys. now there are a total for (4) -6AN lines. they then go to the front and back of the heads where they end with Earls o-ring 90* fittings.

Garrett

See less See more
#3 ·
HFCM and fuel lines compared to airdog and fuel lines

stock fuel line from HFCM to filter housing compared to -8 feed line

here's some of the parts i used that i got from Jegs

-8/-6Y and fuel pressure port fitting

with autometer sending unit

Garrett

#5 ·
here is the airdog mounted

here's the FREE stainless braided and fittings that i used. i believe it is aeroquip

here is the -8/-6Y with (i believe)30* fittings and -6/-6 Y with same -6AN fittings

here are the -6AN lines wrapped with heat wrap for the back of the heads

-6 line and fitting connected to the passenger side rear of head

driver side front of head with line and fitting

passenger side of head with line and fitting

roughly where i was planning on putting the lines

Garrett

#6 ·
havent read through all of it yet, but im sure its a great writeup buddy!! good job! now hopefully when all the newbs ask us about our fully custom fuel systems we can just paste this link!!

#7 ·
here is where i put the fitting for my fuel pick up

pickup installed

and while i was in there i harpooned the tank(it really do work good :thumbsup)

here's the airdog with the feed and return lines

the return line in the fuel fill line

the fuel feed from the pickup

here's the fuel pressure port fitting with -8/-6 Y

the -6 lines from the first Y to the (2) -6/-6 Ys

here it is completed

Garrett

#10 ·
No but now the heads have EQUAL pressure front to back and the rears will never starve :thumbsup

#11 ·
I found out the leak is somewhere on the fuel filter. I am not 100% sure its the led. It looks like it might be leaking around the plate on the front side of the filter bowl under inter cooler tube.

#12 · (Edited)
ok, with all the requests for a build total on this i decided to put some part totals together. remember, i got all my stainless braided line and fittings for free. these are just estimates as they can be found for different prices at different places. i got all the prices from Jegs.

say you use an airdog and get all your own line from the pump forward.

feeding just the front of the heads using all jegs parts will be-

(2) -8AN straight fuel fittings 7.49 x 2 = 14.98
#555-100002
(1) -8AN stainless braided Pro-Flo 200 fuel line 10' 46.99
#555-100922
(1) -8/-8AN fuel pressure port male/female fitting 10.99
#555-110527
(1) -8/-6 Y - 34.99
#555-15185
(1) -6AN stainless braided Pro-Flo 200 fuel line 10' 39.99
#555-100912
(2) 45* -6AN fuel fittings 13.99 x 2 = 27.98
#555-100011
(2) -6AN straight fuel fittings 5.49 x 2 = 10.98
#555-100001
(2) -6AN/12mmx1.5 90* o-ring fittings 20.99 x 2 = 41.98
#361-949092

total -------------------------------------------228.88

now if you want to go to the back as well you will need more -6AN fuel line($43), 2 -6/-6 Ys($69.98), 2 more 45* -6 fuel line fittings($27.98), 2 more straight -6AN fuel line fittings($10.98), and 2 more 90* -6/12mmx1.5 o-ring fittings($41.98).

this will add approximately $193.92 for a total of $422.80 before taxes and shipping using all Jegs parts except for the Earls 90* o-ring fittings. mind you, if you use more expensive parts like say russel fuel line and fittings it would go up. fittings add $.50 a piece, fuel line is $44.99 compared to $34.99 for a 10' piece.

so, that should give you a pretty accurate estimate on how much it would cost to do this. hope this helps.

Garrett

#25 ·
that price for ss braided line is cheap the shop by me wants like $30 a foot, i bet all those fittings wernt cheap tho, did u get all that stuff from jegs ?

#19 ·
:nopics

#23 ·
hmm garrett that fuel shure does have a red tint to it:wedgie

#27 ·
not sure if i'm seeing it right but to me it looks like just behind the powerstoke emblem the 4 lines are held together with a zip tie. stainless braid is very abrasive and will eat through itself in no time at all.i find that if you done want trouble it needs to be secured with "P" clamps or covered with rubber hose any place it can touch anything else

#28 ·
this could be a stupid question, or im not thinkin straight but would this eliminate the need for a regulated return, because it allows same fuel pressure front to back. could be wrong but ive heard all a regulated retrun does is keep the injectors from starving. sorry if this is a noob question but im new at this whole powerstroke thing lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.