94-97 Powerstroke Chip install - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 4cstr, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 7322 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
4cstr

94-97 Powerstroke Chip install

The first time you install a chip it is easiest if you remove the PCM from the truck since from the factory ford coated the conactor with a thick protective grease, which you will need to clean before your truck will recognize the new power chip.

The engine computer is located in the firewall on the drivers side about halfway down see 1st picture with the plug attached. You will need a 10mm socket to remove the plug. remove the plug and move aside. (2nd pic) You will need a 13mm deep well to remove the weather barrier bolts (2) one above and 1 below the pcm. By this time you've noticed that there is not much room down there so before you can slide the PCM out you will have to partially remove the inner wheel well by removing a handful of 5.5mm bolts, note arrows in 3rd picture for location of some. Once you get the inner fender loose you can slide the PCM out (3rd pic).

Once you get it removed it you will have a box like the 4th picture in your hand. The chip is going to go onto a series of conatcts hidden by a cover on the back side of the PCM (pic 5)

As you can see in the 6th picture there is a narrow opening for the chip to go into and you have to clean the protective "stuff" off of the contacts, so to me it was easier to take the covers off to give me room to get my fat fingers in there easier.

To remove the cover simply remove the 6- 5.5mm bolts holding the cover on when you lift the midsection out the lower cover will be loose and will either fall off or easily be pulled apart. The 7nd picture will show you the pieces of the PCM. You can also see how easily you can access the bottom side of the board to clean the contacts. The 8rd picture is the accessability of the top contact and it's accessability.

To clean the "stuff" off of the contacts you will need to rub what you can off with a paper towel, then wash the contacts with acetone (nail polish remover) and to ensure all is removed I buffed lightly with a 000 steel wool. If you do not get all contacts clean you will get a Check Engine light and your truck will not start. Slide your chip (9th pic) onto the connector and install in the truck. I recommend plugging your pcm in and letting it sit in the engine bay before bolting it back in place so you can ensure that you got the contacts clean. Since I removed a dust cover I wanted to replace it with something and the first thing that came to mind was Duct tape. though I wanted to make sure I would be able to access it without problem from the interior and since I did not now what kind of space I had on the inside I decided I would put the tape on once it is insalled in the truck.

You can access the chip location of the PCM from inside the truck by removing the emergency brake pedal mechanism this is a very tight space and cleaning the contacts would be extremely difficult in this space though possible if you wanted to avoid the inner fender. The 10th picture shows the location with the brake assembly removed. When installing chip it is recommended to use a piece of tape to ensure that the truck's vibrations don't work the connector loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1077
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	2752   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	2753   Click image for larger version

Name:	innerfender.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	2754   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	2755   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	2756  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	2757   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	2758   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	2759   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	2760   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	2761  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 12:42 AM

good article. what chip did u end up going with:shrug:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode