Dynatrac installation article - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by jvencius, this thread has received 25 replies and been viewed 6023 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Dynatrac installation article

Here's an article I wrote up about the installation process for my Dynatrac Free-Spin hub conversion kit. If you're thinking about doing the conversion, maybe this will help you get an idea of how much work is involved. Since the disassembly for the Dynatrac kit is 90% of the disassembly to R/R the ball joints the friend I had helping and I replaced them too and with the two of us working, we were able to install the conversion kit, put in new ball joints, and get my truck back on the road in a tick under 9 hours including the time for lunch and breaks. I did pre-assemble the wheel studs into the hubs and the spindle mounting studs into the spindles but that work didn't take very long and I made enough mistakes during the big install so the total time required probably would be the same w/o having done the preassembly. For 3 days prior to the install day I soaked the ball joints, u-joints, and any hardware I could reach with PB-Blaster to make removal easier. The install is the same on the driver's- and passenger's sides so the pictures alternate between the two.

Step 1: Inventory the parts. The kit includes (more-or-less clockwise from 12 o'clock):
* New hubs with the ABS tone rings and bearing races pre-installed (2)
* New forged fixed spindles with needle bearing housing and ABS sensor mounting blocks pre-installed (2)
* Timken inner/outer bearings (4 total--2 for each side)
* Inner hub seals (2)
* Inner axleshaft seals (2)
* Spanner nuts (4)
* Dana 60 lock washers (2)
* 35-spline outer stub axleshafts (2)
* Brake caliper spacers (8--4 each of thin and thick)
* Wheel mounting studs (16)
* Warn heavy-duty hub locks (2)

2K2 F350 PSD/ZF6, Fluidampr/Melling LPOP, AirDog/ITP RR, DP F5, Tymar/high-flow outlet/MBRP 4", Dynatrac Free-Spin hub conversion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Step 2: Not included but very highly recommended are:
* New axleshaft u-joints since you can pre-assemble the u-joints into the outer stub shafts vs. trying to re-use the old ones
* New spindle mounting studs and nuts--the hassles involved in trying to re-use the old ones just isn't worth the $25 or so new ones cost.

2K2 F350 PSD/ZF6, Fluidampr/Melling LPOP, AirDog/ITP RR, DP F5, Tymar/high-flow outlet/MBRP 4", Dynatrac Free-Spin hub conversion
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Step 3: Once you have the front end of the truck supported on jack stands, use a pair of needlenose pliers to squeeze the inner snap ring, remove it, then pull straight out on the hub lock to remove it. Once the hub lock is out of the way, remove the lug nuts and the wheel.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Step 4: Remove the ABS sensors, brake calipers and rotors, securing the calipers to the springs so as to not stress the brake lines. I used ratcheting tiedown straps (forgot the bungee cords at home) but coat hangers or the aforementioned bungee cords will also work. The mounting bolts are very tight so air tools + penetrating lube are worth every penny for this step.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Step 5: Remove the tie rod-end nuts, then using a pitman arm puller pop the tie rod end out of the knuckle on each side. I used more ratcheting tiedown straps to hang the tie rod from the spring pack. This needs to be done so you can turn the knuckle for bettter clearance to the hub bearing nuts. Once that's done, remove the 3 thrust washers around the outer axleshaft then remove the four nuts holding each unit hub bearing to the knuckle. When the unit bearings are removed, using a long prybar between the u-joint yoke and the axle tube, pry the axles outwards and remove them.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Step 6: Using a u-joint press, a 1/2" impact gun, a BFH, and appropriate punches, press/beat the u-joints out of the stock inner axleshafts. At this step, penetrating lube is your friend since the u-joints are very very snug. Leave the u-joints in the outer stub shafts since they won't be re-used. Once the old u-joints are out, press the new ones + outer stub shafts into the inner axleshafts. The outer stubs are identical so it doesn't matter which inner shaft they get attached to.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Step 7: I forgot to do this (as you can see in subsequent pictures) and that required quite a bit of disassembly to fix, but make sure to press new seals on the flange right next to the u-joint yoke on each outer stub axleshaft. A thin film of RTV will help hold the seal in place during reassembly.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Step 8: If you're going to R/R the ball joints, this is the point at which you would do that but this article (and my pictures) is about the Dynatrac install so I'll skip how to do the ball joints.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Step 9: Reinstall the axleshafts (should be obvious which shaft assembly goes in which side of the axle tube), making sure to clean the inner axle tube so that you don't force dirt/rust/debris into the axletube and differential.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Step 10: Using one nut spun down against a second nut, install the new mounting studs into the spindles. I used blue Loctite but the new studs have some sort of yellowish-green goo on them from the factory that probably works to do the same thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode