How-to Install: Short Throw Shifter - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Big Stroker, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 4463 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

How-to Install: Short Throw Shifter

First off I would like to say we recently started carrying these kits from Mid-West Trans. So I ordered one for my truck because I hate the long shift between gears.

Tools:
Rachet
10mm shallow socket
13mm deep socket
6" extension
5mm allen wrench
dead blow hammer
blunt punch
Phillips screwdriver
stick magnet
magnetic tray

Supplies:
2 - Cans of Brake Cleaner
1 - tube black sylicone
1 - tube red thread lock

Time:
Allow 2hrs from start to finish(this is being generous) it shoulding take long at all.

Disclaimer: I was kind of in a hurry and didn't set my camera for closeups.

First start by removing the four screws holding the dust boot to the floor

Once that is up use the 10mm and rachet to remove the two bolts holding the shifter to the tranny

Once that is pulled use the 13mm deep socket, 6" extension and the rachet to remove the 8 bolts that hold the top of the shifter to the tranny.

Be easy when removing the cover from the tranny because the Reverse lockout spring(located in upper right corner in pic below) will pop out and fall down in the tranny. So be VERY careful

Once out of the truck take your 5mm allen wrench and remove the four bolts holding the tin cover to aluminum housing

Once removed take your brake cleaner and clean up the parts real good.(makes for better reinstall)

When you take it apart remove the plastic clips that hold the shift rod in the aluminum housing.(Yellow thing in pic below)

Once you have done that reinstall plasic clips on the new shifter rod. So you remember what how they came off and where they go.

In the alumimun housing there is a detent. Take your punch and put it on the tin ring(DO NOT put it in the center hole or hit the aluminum) hammer until the detent pops out of the bottom. You may have to hit it hard and it will bend a little but once it starts it will come on out.

(sorry no pics they didn't turn out)

Once its all disassembled apply silicon to bottom side of aluminum spacer and stick to the aluminum housing from the shifter. Install aluminum plug(supplied with kit) into the aluminum housing and the detent into the aluminum spacer. (little dab of silicon helps to hold it all in place)

Take to truck and run another bead of silicon on the bottom of the aluminum spacer. Place it on the transmission and use the new bolts supplied with the kit to bolt it all down to the truck.(Using the 13mm and rachet)

Once installed in the truck run another bead of silicone on top the aluminum housing. Take your shifter handle and gently place it into the tranny. Align the ball with the socket in the tranny.

Apply a dab of thread lock to the 4 allen screws and reinstall then in the aluminum housing.

Should look like this when your through(except cleaner:doh

Once that is installed add another dab of threadlock to the 2 10mm bolts holding the shifter to tranny. Tighten down

Push rubber boot down to floor and tighten all 4 screws back down.

And your done.

By far one the best mods I have done to the truck. Well worth the time and money invested.

If anyone would be interested please feel free to PM me for more details and availability.

Note: Two hardest parts were getting the detent out of the original housing and making sure the parts realigned back in the tranny.

[CENTER]1995 PowerStroke 4x4 - 1968 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 03:36 AM
********* and Mafia #90

Thanked 1,333 Times in 985 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bcarriveau Send a message via Yahoo to Bcarriveau
Thanks for the addition. I moved it to the Tech article Section .

Bill Carriveau OFFICIAL POO HAULER

100K miles on 4/7/2010
2005 F250 FX4 Supercab Shortbed
ARP studs, sct, Leveling kit,Airdog set at 62psi with no factory pump, leveling kit,5" stacks, under cab lights, Large in the way Fan shroud Removed, bed Lights being Re-did. Large Alternator(250amps)(130 amps was so 2003). On 3rd set of Hgs(soon to be 4th), 2nd set of heads, 2nd tubro, egr cooler, FICM and more. When i Turn the Key it does return a Favor, not always in MY Favor.
Da Rules..Here

Windows 7 Takes the WIN!
Windows 8 might take that Win
http://www.bcarriveau.com/
Dear Tequila:
We had a deal. You were supposed to make me sexier, smarter and a better dancer. But I saw the video. And I think we need to talk..

How you name your Thread is Important. Read Here

The TDG TOTQ

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:22 PM

I am assuming that this is a zf-5? That doesn't look like my zf-6... Great write up though. FWIW the zf-6 swap is even easier as there isn't a reverse lock out. It is a simple 8 bolts (If I remember correctly) off the transmission, and install dan's supplied longer bolts through the provided spacer with some RTV in between and you are off and running. Dan is a great guy with a great product and customer service. It feels weird to shift a normal zf-6 after my swap. You will love it.

early '99 converted to late '99 F-350 dually, 4x4, 4 door, long bed, 6 speed. Midwest transmissions 05+ zf-6 transmission with their short throw shifter and SB clutch. Rosewood 180cc with 80% nozzles, Termy modded 17* HPOP, International bellowed up pipes, fs-2500, DP Tunes. A few other things here and there...
dually club member.. Why replace 5 tires when you can replace seven? I like my training wheels...
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yup that is the ZF5 spd and we also have them for the 6 spd

[CENTER]1995 PowerStroke 4x4 - 1968 Bronco

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode