In search of true cold air - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by boobin, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 3686 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

In search of true cold air

Instead of doing the zoodad or installing another air intake that would still reside under the hood sucking hot engine temps through the filter, I decided to take on the challenge a different way......a snorkel. I got the idea from a local off-road shop that specializes in Toyota Land Cruisers and thought maybe I could adapt it to my truck. After some research and some preliminary work I finally got my kit and started this weekend.

The kit I got came from here.......http://www.safarisnorkel.com/docs/snorkel/ford.html

Now....this mod might not be for everyone, but it interested me because of the performance possibilities of true cold air, cleaner intake air and .......just to do something different. The kit is for a 7.3 and the company never had any intention of trying to retrofit for a 6.0 truck because of all of the challenges involved in making it work.

Anyway.....I had already relocated my batteries mentioned in another thread on this forum an therefore accomplished the task of freeing up the space on the driver's side engine compartment.

Next.....I had to move a few things around under the hood to make room along the inner fender. Can you see the difference?

It really was not that bad to move the PCM and the power steering reservoir. The relay bracket that sits on the fenderwell against the firewall , the PCM bracket and the power steering reservoir bracket all required some minor modification. The main harness for the PCM had to be peeled back slightly to allow movement of cable. To mount everything back up I used existing nutted clips. For the reservoir I drilled one hole in the bracket to make use of a battery box mount. I also needed to extend one hose from the brake booster to the reservoir.

While moving all of this I was surprised to see that the inner fender already had a hole to accept the snorkel flange. I would be interested to know the history behind that!

The kit gives you a template to tape up to the outer fender to guide you on drilling holes and cutting the snorkel entery hole.

Even with the template I found I still needed to trim and fit a few times before I got the desired result. The snorkel has five studs that fit through holes in the fender and a fender washer and nylon lock nut for each. I had to pull the fenderwell iner to get up inside. A bracket bolts to the top of the snorkel and you peel the rubber door trim at the top of the A-piller and drill/rivet the bracket in place. Very solid.....minor trim of the rubber is necessary to fit back in place.

Here is the finished product as it is installed now..........

I mentioned earlier that this is meant for a 7.3 and does have parts/pieces in the kit to modify a factory 7.3 airbox to make it work. I didn't get that far this weekend, but will post up with the rest of the install next weekend if all goes well with the schedule.

2004 6.0L F350 Lariat Auto 4x4 CC/LB/DRW - sold

Sumimoto 255/70/22.5 on American Force Classic 22.5 wheels, 4.88 w/Truetrac rear, Mag-Hytec front/rear covers, Mag-Hytec 5R110W trans pan and '08 improved filter, custom front/rear springs from National Spring, Bilstein shocks, Bilstein dual stabilizer shocks, 4" stainless turbo back to a FTE single 6" stack, ARB Snorkel intake, Dfuser coolant filter kit, CFM++ Large Mouth, Doug's custom intake manifold, Powermax turbo w/batmowheel, Warren 175/75 injectors, ARP studded, custom CCV reroute, fan shroud removed, Diehard Platinum PM-1 batteries relocated, permanently installed battery tender with front/rear plug in access, HD250 amp alternator w/remote rectifiers, (9) ISSPRO Performax gauges, Nathan K5s, Warn hidden winch bumper kit, Warn 16.5k winch, Reflexxion steel hood, Jimmijammers, Britebox, Retro Solutions, ATTA 50gal Bed tank/tool box combo, Titan 67gal main tank..Hellman sumped, custom regulated return w/Fuelab pump, 6.4 oil filter canister, AMP steps, F650 lower dash w/nine switch panel , Carling switches, SCT X2 and stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 03:24 AM
TDG Official Poo Flinger

I would love to do it...I looked into it once before...but my cut-out flares also interfere with the snorkel...

nice job though man!

I even hoped I could move it a little one way or the other,...did all the measurements a year ago...nope...won't work...CRAP!

2005 F-250, CC,SB,PSD, MANUAL TRANNY

Icon 4.5" lift, 41" IROKS, and some other stuff

Special thanks to:

TrustedPerformance.com
KLMperformance.com
Black Ops Bumpers
FarmboyFabrications.com

TIRES AND WHEELS- 41" IROK Super Swampers, 20 x 10 AR Mojave Teflon-STEERING UPGRADE- Donahoe Racing Dual Stabilizers -FRONT SUSPENSION- Donahoe Racing 4.5" lift -REAR SUSPENSION- 6" Procomp Springs, Farmboy Fabrications Custom Traction Bars-FRONT AXLE UPGRADES- ARB Air locker/ 4.56 Precision Gears -REAR AXLE UPGRADES- ARB Air Locker/ 4.56 Precision Gears -ENGINE UPGRADES -SCT XCAL II w/ Extreme track file- ARP Headstuds - TRUSTED PERFORMANCE Stage II fuel and Oil system - ACCUFAB Intake Elbow - AFE Stage II Intake - MBRP Turbo back Stainless Steel Exhaust - MERLIN controls SPEED WIZARD-TRANSMISSION UPGRADES- Southbend 550+ HP Clutch -INTERIOR MODS-Gauge Works Quad A-pillar pod - Autometer Cobalt Series Gauges Pyro, Boost, Tranny - Cobra Inverter Remote Switch - Cobra Limited Edition Harley Davidson CB - Python Custom alarm system, wired into train horns - Hi-Lift Extreme jack w/ off road base -10,000 watt inverter - 15 gallons of air - Porter Cable 115 volt, 2.5hp Air Compressor - Rhino....Bed liner - EXTERIOR MODS- Harley Heads & Smoked tails- Crown SS braided Brake Lines -Custom Fabricated Front Bumper/ Brushguard w/ Custom Herculiner - (2) 8" Procomp Spotlights -(2) 5" Procomp Spotlights - (2) 5"Procomp Fluted lights - (2) 12 ton Recovery Shackles - Custom Fabricated Safari Rack w/ Custom Herculiner - (8 ) 3" x 5" Procomp Fluted lights - Grover...Triple Train Horns - Wilson 4' Fiberglass CB antenna - Stealth Bulbs Chrome signal bulbs - Dominator...Cowl Hood - Custom Herculined Rocker panels - AMP Research Powersteps - Bushwacker Cut-out Fender Flares - Ventshades - LEER Bed cap - Recon Line of Fire, rear light bar,...and a couple other things

Last edited by TANK'S 250; 03-22-2010 at 03:33 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

! This would look right at home on your truck Tank.....more than mine. It has you all over it. Maybe it still could work if you did a little surgery on your flares. Kinda blend them together?

Sumimoto 255/70/22.5 on American Force Classic 22.5 wheels, 4.88 w/Truetrac rear, Mag-Hytec front/rear covers, Mag-Hytec 5R110W trans pan and '08 improved filter, custom front/rear springs from National Spring, Bilstein shocks, Bilstein dual stabilizer shocks, 4" stainless turbo back to a FTE single 6" stack, ARB Snorkel intake, Dfuser coolant filter kit, CFM++ Large Mouth, Doug's custom intake manifold, Powermax turbo w/batmowheel, Warren 175/75 injectors, ARP studded, custom CCV reroute, fan shroud removed, Diehard Platinum PM-1 batteries relocated, permanently installed battery tender with front/rear plug in access, HD250 amp alternator w/remote rectifiers, (9) ISSPRO Performax gauges, Nathan K5s, Warn hidden winch bumper kit, Warn 16.5k winch, Reflexxion steel hood, Jimmijammers, Britebox, Retro Solutions, ATTA 50gal Bed tank/tool box combo, Titan 67gal main tank..Hellman sumped, custom regulated return w/Fuelab pump, 6.4 oil filter canister, AMP steps, F650 lower dash w/nine switch panel , Carling switches, SCT X2 and stuff
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 03:29 PM
TDG Official Poo Flinger

it would take some MAJOR blending they take about 2" of the same realestate.

Special thanks to:

TrustedPerformance.com
KLMperformance.com
Black Ops Bumpers
FarmboyFabrications.com

TIRES AND WHEELS- 41" IROK Super Swampers, 20 x 10 AR Mojave Teflon-STEERING UPGRADE- Donahoe Racing Dual Stabilizers -FRONT SUSPENSION- Donahoe Racing 4.5" lift -REAR SUSPENSION- 6" Procomp Springs, Farmboy Fabrications Custom Traction Bars-FRONT AXLE UPGRADES- ARB Air locker/ 4.56 Precision Gears -REAR AXLE UPGRADES- ARB Air Locker/ 4.56 Precision Gears -ENGINE UPGRADES -SCT XCAL II w/ Extreme track file- ARP Headstuds - TRUSTED PERFORMANCE Stage II fuel and Oil system - ACCUFAB Intake Elbow - AFE Stage II Intake - MBRP Turbo back Stainless Steel Exhaust - MERLIN controls SPEED WIZARD-TRANSMISSION UPGRADES- Southbend 550+ HP Clutch -INTERIOR MODS-Gauge Works Quad A-pillar pod - Autometer Cobalt Series Gauges Pyro, Boost, Tranny - Cobra Inverter Remote Switch - Cobra Limited Edition Harley Davidson CB - Python Custom alarm system, wired into train horns - Hi-Lift Extreme jack w/ off road base -10,000 watt inverter - 15 gallons of air - Porter Cable 115 volt, 2.5hp Air Compressor - Rhino....Bed liner - EXTERIOR MODS- Harley Heads & Smoked tails- Crown SS braided Brake Lines -Custom Fabricated Front Bumper/ Brushguard w/ Custom Herculiner - (2) 8" Procomp Spotlights -(2) 5" Procomp Spotlights - (2) 5"Procomp Fluted lights - (2) 12 ton Recovery Shackles - Custom Fabricated Safari Rack w/ Custom Herculiner - (8 ) 3" x 5" Procomp Fluted lights - Grover...Triple Train Horns - Wilson 4' Fiberglass CB antenna - Stealth Bulbs Chrome signal bulbs - Dominator...Cowl Hood - Custom Herculined Rocker panels - AMP Research Powersteps - Bushwacker Cut-out Fender Flares - Ventshades - LEER Bed cap - Recon Line of Fire, rear light bar,...and a couple other things
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Finally finished this project this past weekend. Lots of fabrication and retrofit to make it all work. Along the way I found more changes I needed to make. The kit came with block-off plates and the male funnel for the 7.3 air box. I riveted those in place.

I had to do a lot of surgery to the air box and battery tray to make it usable. On a test fit I found that the coolant reservoir was in the way. I had to improvise and after some comparison decided to use a tank from a Winstar van. Close to the same capacity and pressure rating is the same. I had to modify it a bit and make a bracket to mount it.

I also had to make new coolant lines running from the tank to the water pump and heater core to fit properly. In the process I decided to do a complete coolant flush, pop the block plug and install my coolant temp sensor.

To assemble the air box and get it properly installed I cut my RFI intake to retain the air meter. I used another 6.0 boot to join to the 7.3 airbox. I think it cae together nicely.
I went from this...............

To a fully functional cold air system drawing air from outside the engine compartment.........

I can say that the truck really seems to enjoy the change. Cool nights especially the truck seems to wake up and runs much more smooth. With the summer coming I am sure it is going to make a difference.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:16 PM
TDG Official Poo Flinger

Damn that looks sweeeeeet!!!!!!!!

Special thanks to:

TrustedPerformance.com
KLMperformance.com
Black Ops Bumpers
FarmboyFabrications.com

The Following User Says Thank You to TANK'S 250 For this addition to TDG:
boobin (04-21-2010)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 10:10 PM
TDG MAFIA

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to harleystroker
WOW that is awesome

TDG MAFIA

04 Harley F250 c/c s/b: 06 headlights, 3'' rough county lift, Eagle 20's, 35'' tarragrapplers, 4'' turbo back magnaflow with cat/muffler delete, 6000k HID's, Recon line of fire/ mirror lights/3rd brake/&Tales,Studs/gaskets,Tuned SCT X3,STL strobe kit, Icon shocks,Dfuser Egr/ Egr cooler delete, 03 turbo
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...04/sq_com4.gif
The Following User Says Thank You to harleystroker For this addition to TDG:
boobin (04-21-2010)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks guys! This was a challenging mod that I believe will net some good gains. Especially in the summer when the under hood temp and outside temp can differ by 40 degrees or more. I still need to do some cleanup, but it works nicely.

There is still a kit with your name on it Tank!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 02:37 AM
TDG Official Poo Flinger

I wish...but my fender flares are in the way...and that would take way more fabrication/massaging than i want to tackle.

Special thanks to:

TrustedPerformance.com
KLMperformance.com
Black Ops Bumpers
FarmboyFabrications.com

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 10:32 PM

Talking

WOW very impressive boobin. you should make up a kit put it on e-bay and make some $$$$$$.more money more mods.

2000 f-350 dually 4X4 ais intake,btm,dp-tuner f-5,autometer boost egt trans,ftv valve body.
The Following User Says Thank You to spock For this addition to TDG:
boobin (04-24-2010)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode