The Diesel Garage banner

Missing

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jarhead 
#1 ·
My Friend has a 2001 Dodge 3500 6 speed. The lift pump went out of it and we did find out for about a week. We had to use ether to start it every time. Well I put a new lift pump on it and it seems to have a miss now and we are only getting 10 miles to the gallon. It also idles high. Is there anyway it messed the pump up and is there anyway easy to check the pump.

#2 ·
The vp44 is a very susceptible injection pump. Cavitation caused by low fuel pressure can be quite damaging to them, so running 0psi will do a lot of damage to one in very short order. No easy way to test comes to mind, but IMO there is no question, that pump will need to be replaced. My suggestion for next time/ with the new pump is to put an in cab fuel pressure gauge on there and monitor it at all times. These lift pumps are notorious for going out and may go out even with relatively few miles on them so Just because the original one lasted 100k or however long doesn't mean the replacement won't go out after 10k. I would suggest putting in a better lift pump as well at the same time. But a FP gauge is a must.
Sorry to hear about the bad news.
Sean

#3 ·
sstockton said:
The vp44 is a very susceptible injection pump. Cavitation caused by low fuel pressure can be quite damaging to them, so running 0psi will do a lot of damage to one in very short order.
:iagree
I had the same problem, a while back and the dodge dealership said it was the lift pump and replaced it. They said all was ok and the day i picked it up and as soon as I got in the driveway and was idling it was missing or surging. So I had to call them back and take i back to them. Then they said it was the injector pump. They said it don't take long without fuel pressure to burn them up.

#5 ·
:whs
there is real not much you can do once the damage has been done. have you checked for codes yet. scheid diesel sells a really good replacement ip. thats who i went to when i changed my ip. good luck

#7 ·
Hey thanks for all the help. That really stinks those things are out of the roof. Well i guess we will know next time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.