The Diesel Garage banner

cummins in fords???

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  sstockton 
#1 ·
i just got back from the bar and some idiots were sayin that ford bought cummins and were goin to use there engines and dodge were goin to use cat diesels. i told them that back in 94' ford owned 10% of cummins and used them in f-550's and above and ended up sellin there stock but they said this was goin to start takin place next year. i also told them that dodge was trying to get a cat auto trans. but i figured i could be wrong so who better to ask then the diesel garage?

#2 ·
I have never heard that before.LOL Your right, Ford used to own 10% of Cummin's stock, then they purchased all withheld stock shares back in the mid 90's. Ford doesn't, never has, and never will own Cummins, and there will never be a Caterpillar motor in a light duty pickup from any manufacturer. If Dodge ever decides to run a different diesel motor in their light duty lineup, it will be a Mercedes. But this won't be anytime soon, Cummins has too good of a repertoire with Dodge to let the contract expire. Sorry, people's stupidity on this matter angers me.

#4 ·
Smokem said:
I have never heard that before.LOL Your right, Ford used to own 10% of Cummin's stock, then they purchased all withheld stock shares back in the mid 90's. Ford doesn't, never has, and never will own Cummins, and there will never be a Caterpillar motor in a light duty pickup from any manufacturer. If Dodge ever decides to run a different diesel motor in their light duty lineup, it will be a Mercedes. But this won't be anytime soon, Cummins has too good of a repertoire with Dodge to let the contract expire. Sorry, people's stupidity on this matter angers me.
:iagree

#5 ·
A Diamler/Chrysler employee posted up some info on the DieselPlace that they let the Cummins contract slide cause of Diamler wanting to run Mercedes motors so bad. He specifically said that it would only be a couple more yrs before Ford would have the Cummins cause they bought a contract with Cummins. I have no idea weather it's true but it came directly from Diamler/Chrysler. It would sure be a change.

#6 ·
Smokem said:

Is that just because CAT can't meet the emissions?

#7 ·
oh if they could.......i could push a lot of dirt and fords and cheys and gmc and anything else..maybeLOL

#10 ·
Man, there are so many variations on this story that when I hear people talk about it know I just let them think what they will. As far as the thing about Diamler/chrysler trying to ditch cummins to run M-B diesels I don't buy it. I was talking with the Head of North American Toyota about 18months ago and at that point the current contract with cummins was running out at the end of 2006 and toyota was actually trying to get the cummins contract to put in a tundra. Diamler/chrysler renewed their contract because the cummins motor is a key selling point for them and toyota delayed the development of a 3/4 or 1ton tundra.

I really don't think that the cummins is going to come in anything other than a dodge for quite some time. you never know though, there is a lot of back stage politics that we never get to see.
Sean

#12 ·
Yeah I would love a superduty with a 24v and an Nv5600 with all the mods, however the check book just won't permit that right now, so I figure the dodge is fine.
Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.