Urgent Help - those who have/install Rize 8 in -DEATH WOBBLE - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by stunya, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 1755 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Urgent Help - those who have/install Rize 8 in -DEATH WOBBLE

All-after amassing parts for a year, i finally got to install my rize 8 inch lift today. After a smooth installation (following directions exactly) i took the truck for a test ride. After a quarter mile, i hit a small bump and instantly the steering wheel shook violently and the entire truck started shuddering in the famed "death wobble." I had to slow to a near stop to get the truck back on track.

This continued to happen. A quick phone call to a trusted source recommended placing the Castor at -4.0 (says this is used on several newer trucks). Stock recommendations from the alignment machine are +1.4-+3.4. Has anyone else done this on their ride?

Does anyone else have recommendations? Whats interesting is that after removing the 39.5s and putting the stock tires back on, the death wobble decreased significantly. It was still there, but more managable.

Any ideas or input are greatly appreciated. Ill be back at it tomorrow afternoon. I am also going to try to get in touch with a Rize tech rep.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:58 AM

do you have a steering stabilizer installed?

they do help alot

F350 PSD SRW King Ranch

11.8 @ 120mph on 37s
8700 lbs.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 01:10 PM

My post, copy/paste from your thread on another forum, in case you read here first.

Have you had it aligned with with the new tires on? My installers had a small issue of not being able to find the right style tool (for a couple of days) to fit on a rockstar wheel to get the alignment done. They specifically said it had to be done with the new tires on, and not with the old style rim & tire. It makes a difference in the alignment.

I would suspect that your wobble reduces with the stock tires because of the lack of alignment (or it being more-aligned toe-wise to your stock tires). After you get it lined up properly (toe for the tires, caster for the lift, basically), it should decrease quite a bit or ideally, disappear. Solid front axle trucks are VERY sensitive to proper geometry, so lifting it (no matter how good the lift) and not having it checked immediately, will have quirky handling. After you line it up, I would put on a dual stabilizer kit as well, but agree that you should have this straightened out as much as possible before hand.

Good luck... you'll get it straightened out!
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeroOne For this addition to TDG:
stunya (09-01-2009)
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 01:52 PM

I personally don't have alot of experience with death wobble in Fords. I do with other straight axle four link front ends like Jeeps and Dodges. DW cna be caused by many things but assuming that you don't have any worn parts on you truck and everything is installed correctly I wouls look at caster and tires. What kind of tires are you running? Alot of DW can be caused by tires with weak sidewall contruction. Alot of the Dodge guys run it to problems when using BFG's and some Interco's. Also Did adjusted to the caster negative make it worse? Usually you would want you caster positive not negative. I have eliiminated DW in Jeeps and Dodges by putting the caster around 5 degrees positive.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

2010 CCSB Laramie Ram 2500 4x4
Powered By:
H&S/Shibby/Black Ops/Flo Pro

Suspended by:
Carli Suspension/Bilstein

2008 RCLB F250 XLT 6.4 Auto
Powered By:
H&S/Flo Pro/aFE

Suspended by:
Pure Performance/Carli/Bilstein

The Following User Says Thank You to Skyd Ram For this addition to TDG:
stunya (09-01-2009)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram View Post
I personally don't have alot of experience with death wobble in Fords. I do with other straight axle four link front ends like Jeeps and Dodges. DW cna be caused by many things but assuming that you don't have any worn parts on you truck and everything is installed correctly I wouls look at caster and tires. What kind of tires are you running? Alot of DW can be caused by tires with weak sidewall contruction. Alot of the Dodge guys run it to problems when using BFG's and some Interco's. Also Did adjusted to the caster negative make it worse? Usually you would want you caster positive not negative. I have eliiminated DW in Jeeps and Dodges by putting the caster around 5 degrees positive.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Thanks for the response...ive been working with a few "techs" on the other site and they all came to the same conclusion, that i need to be in the +4-5 degree range if my pinion angle can handle it. I am running bias ply 39.5 inch iroks which could certainly be contributing to the problem, but i know a few others with the diesel are running these same tires without problems. Next set will be radial for sure (these were just a good deal). I am going back to the shop today to try to adjust to +4ish and im going to take for another ride. Hopefully it corrects. If not, ill try the other extreme of -4 and see how that does. If neither work, its stock tires back on, back to ford specs on caster then taking it home with the stockers and working on a solution from there.

THanks for the help. BTW-im only about an hour away in MI (if i ever get there!)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:04 PM

????
Where do you live and where are you at now?

2010 CCSB Laramie Ram 2500 4x4