Nitrogen In Tires - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Roach, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 1594 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Roach

Nitrogen In Tires

I have heard about replacing the air in the tires with nitrogen. Anyone done this, or anyone know of pro's and con's? Thanks.

2008 F-350 Lariat Dually, 4X4, Long Bed, Sirus Radio, Prestige Remote Start/Turbo Timer, Retrax Bed Cover, Power Tailgate Lock, Pillar Guages, Pyro, Boost, Trans Temp., chrome door handles, chrome fuel filler door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I have heard about replacing the air in the tires with nitrogen. Anyone done this, or anyone know of pro's and con's? Thanks.
Mostly bunk and BS. The only real advantage is the nitrogen will slow down the oxidation of the rubber material. Useless unless you keep the tires 10 years. All the rest is just hype to sell you something that is already 79% of the atmosphere. GOOGLE it..
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 05:16 PM
is here and there.

Thanked 1,110 Times in 665 Posts
I was reading this the other day.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the...with-nitrogen/

I guess you really need to make up your own mind on what to believe.

Life changes, so roll with it, not against it.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 05:23 PM
yup and another one

Send a message via AIM to Angel Bunnie
I just put Nitrogen in my tires about 6 months ago, as did my boyfriend, and so far the tires have maintained their pressure a lot better (a lot less of loss) so less air fill ups. I haven't noticed a real change in gas mileage yet, but my boyfriend says he gets better mileage from it.

Ultimately its up to you
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 AM
Ford F250 Dude

Got nitrogen in my 37's and they don't loose pressure like they did with "air". It can't hurt and it is done for free at my Ford dealer.

2008 Ford F250 4X4 Lariat Crew Cab Short Box 37x13.5x22 Toyos, KMC XD wheels, BDS 6" lift, tuned up.
Other toys:
2008 Roush 428R Mustang - Supercharged
2008 Corvette convertible
2009 Harley Davidson FLTRSE3 Road Glide
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Whipersnapper

Time gone from Iraq!
Send a message via AIM to battle cattle Send a message via MSN to battle cattle Send a message via Skype™ to battle cattle
its not as effected by heat... thats why race cars use it.... so will it help you... maybe necessary.... no

2008 F350 DRW SB Black/Black (Spartan Tuned) SOLD
2006 BMW M3 Black/Black (Stock)

Quote:
Angel Bunnie: though Russifer is a pretty little guy
Dually Club #60
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle cattle View Post
its not as effected by heat...
Ummm--yes it is. Nitrogen is not immune to any of the laws regarding behavior of gases, the main one being pV=nRT. N2 WILL expand and contract under temperature changes, just like any other gas will.

2K2 F350 PSD/ZF6, Fluidampr/Melling LPOP, AirDog/ITP RR, DP F5, Tymar/high-flow outlet/MBRP 4", Dynatrac Free-Spin hub conversion
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Whipersnapper

Time gone from Iraq!
Send a message via AIM to battle cattle Send a message via MSN to battle cattle Send a message via Skype™ to battle cattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by battle cattle View Post
its not as effected by heat... thats why race cars use it.... so will it help you... maybe necessary.... no
please read before you call BS

Quote:
Dually Club #60
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

No, jvencius was 100% correct, nitrogen and air respond to heat in EXACTLY the same way, there is no difference at all.

What no one has mentioned was the REAL reason race teams and aircraft use N2 as opposed to compressed air, you know the answer, but just never thought of it....

When you compress "air" and inflate a tire with it, what else is in there? (hint, you need to drain it every so often)
WATER vapor!

N2 is VERY low in moisture, and THAT is what causes the difference in heat response between N2 and "air" filled tires. With a GOOD moisture capture system, you get exactly the same results with N2 as with DRY air.

"Air" is 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen, both molecules are effectively the same size, so your tires won't show leakage rates different with N2 than with air. In fact, it's the oxygen that leaks out because it's ever so slightly smaller. So if you lose 21% of your air (78% remaining) and you refill with 78/21 you are end up with 78% + 15% = 93% N2.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Whipersnapper

Time gone from Iraq!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_G View Post
No, jvencius was 100% correct, nitrogen and air respond to heat in EXACTLY the same way, there is no difference at all.

What no one has mentioned was the REAL reason race teams and aircraft use N2 as opposed to compressed air, you know the answer, but just never thought of it....

When you compress "air" and inflate a tire with it, what else is in there? (hint, you need to drain it every so often)
WATER vapor!

N2 is VERY low in moisture, and THAT is what causes the difference in heat response between N2 and "air" filled tires. With a GOOD moisture capture system, you get exactly the same results with N2 as with DRY air.

"Air" is 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen, both molecules are effectively the same size, so your tires won't show leakage rates different with N2 than with air. In fact, it's the oxygen that leaks out because it's ever so slightly smaller. So if you lose 21% of your air (78% remaining) and you refill with 78/21 you are end up with 78% + 15% = 93% N2.
If that is the case... As you are saying the most technology advanced form of motorsports still requires the use of N2.....and I think they know how to change a dryer system.

It all comes down to thermal expansion for Nitrogen vs (Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Oxygen and Argon) common name Air http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...formula_of_air

I wonder which would be more linear for expansion...

Quote:
Dually Club #60

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode