Fuel Additives - Page 2 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by phantom phixer, this thread has received 326 replies and been viewed 54637 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 327 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 12:11 PM

I've ran powerservice (white Bottle) since the day I bought mine. Has anyone ran the Amzoil additive?? I have a sponsor with those guys and I bought a few bottles of the winter stuff they sell and a few for the summer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 327 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19

I would not use trans fluid, two stroke oil, mystery oil, chocolate, peanut butter or anything that is not made specfically for the fuel system by a reputable company. You start getting into viscosity problems and coking on the tips of the injectors. The older injectors that had huge holes in the tips and were mechanically operated could tolerate some of the oils and fluids that somebody heard that Billy Jo Bob used and it worked good, but todays injectors are a much different story. I would suggest you "just say no" to anything but a true diesel fuel additive, and read the label on those.

LargeCar :mafia

LargeCar

Mafia # 19 The Dually Club # 19

If a country does not remember and honor its fallen heroes of the past, in the future that country will not be honored or remembered.

G.R. Wemmer

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
post #13 of 327 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeCar
I would not use trans fluid, two stroke oil, mystery oil, chocolate, peanut butter or anything that is not made specfically for the fuel system by a reputable company. You start getting into viscosity problems and coking on the tips of the injectors. The older injectors that had huge holes in the tips and were mechanically operated could tolerate some of the oils and fluids that somebody heard that Billy Jo Bob used and it worked good, but todays injectors are a much different story. I would suggest you "just say no" to anything but a true diesel fuel additive, and read the label on those.

:agreed:
post #14 of 327 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 03:39 PM

:umno:

Like LargeCar said, stick to the stuff that is designed to go into ULSD, and follow the instructions from the additive manufacturer.

I personally use RedLine's 85+ additive, I use the regular in the summer, and the winter formula in the winter. It has worked for me, and on their website, they actually have documentation with Scientific data to backup their claims.

:2cents

2006 F250 CC SB 4x4
4.5 Icon 4-Link, TEI Spacers, and 5 Inch rear Springs.
Farmboy Fabrication Traction Bars.
SCT XCalII tuned by GoGoDiesel, DJ's, and Spartan...
post #15 of 327 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19

Got to thinking about my post and thought I might need to clarify my comments about Marvel Mystery Oil as an additive to the diesel fuel. I went to their website and collected the following.

Notice for Diesel Fuel Users: This diesel fuel additive does not comply with federal ultra low sulfur content requirements for use in model 2007 and newer diesel motor vehicles.

So I am not sure if it is a good idea for the pre 2007 MY or not. But I think I would opt to error on the safe side and not use it.

LargeCar

If a country does not remember and honor its fallen heroes of the past, in the future that country will not be honored or remembered.

G.R. Wemmer

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
post #16 of 327 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 07:58 PM

I second what Mike uses. Ford can not say anything if I have engine problems. Are we all sure we need to add anything?
post #17 of 327 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by f250diesel
Are we all sure we need to add anything?
Some are concerned about the lubricitors being stripped away in the process of making ULSD, so some feel it is a good idea to use a good conditioner to replaced some of the stripped lubrictors. I use an additive for that purpose and the anti gel propreties in the winter. Some may be looking to the additive as a cetain (sp) adder.

LargeCar

G.R. Wemmer

post #18 of 327 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 12:19 AM

I use Power Service white bottle in the winter months and then use the Power Service grey bottle once the weather stays above freezing temps.
post #19 of 327 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 09:26 PM

Garage
There are several good additives out there. I did my homework about a year ago. The Ford stuff and Stanadyne is good stuff. I didn't check up on the others mentioned. I buy Stanadyne online in a 5 gallon can. It adds about a dollar per full tank.

I know of a few 7.3 guys adding about a quart of 2 cycle per tank, but the 7.3 is a different animal. I would not do it for the 6.0. :Thumbup:
post #20 of 327 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 10:25 PM

we have 2 work trucks 6.0"s runing 16 0z 2-cycle oil and 16oz diesel kleen in gray bottle on every fill up. when these trucks have 10,000 miles on them i will take an injector out of them for inspection on the plunger and barrel.
i have ran this same mix on my 6.0 for 4,000 miles with no problems to date. when the 2 trucks have the miles on them ill post my findings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode