The Diesel Garage banner

There Actually Were Fords with Cummins Engines...

38K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  WVDarren 
#1 ·
There actually were Ford trucks with Cummins diesels... but on the Class 8 front (I presume this forum is solely for homegrown conversions?).

This relationship goes back to 1961, when Ford offered what were their first diesel-powered trucks in history. They were the H-series cabovers (replaced in mid-1966 with the W-series, and in 1978 by the CL series), and the Cummins engines were available in models HD-950, HD-1000 and HDT-950 (H-950-D, H-1000-D and HT-950-D in 1963).

These Cummins engines were six-bangers as most of you here should know, but in smaller displacements of 672 (NH-195) and 743 cu. in. (NH-220), rather than the familiar 855 cu. in. mills (NH-250, NTC-290, NTC-350, etc.) that would show up in these rigs in 1963.

In 1963, besides the first appearances of the 855 cu. in. N-series diesels in a Ford application, Ford also cataloged the V6-200 and V8-265 engines. The V6-200 (and the V6E-195 economy model) was for a time the only diesel engine available in their diesel F/T-850-1100 series. The V8-265 was cataloged for the N (short conventional) and the H series. Throughout the '60s, '70s and early '80s, Ford medium and heavy trucks had employed nearly every available Cummins diesel engine from the V-555 (used in the Louisville 8000 mediums) to the gargantuan 19-liter KTA-600 (available in the CL-9000 series).

Sometime in the early '90s, after Ford discontinued their two New Holland diesel sixes (the 6.6L and 7.8L) in their Cargo COE, they called on Cummins to supply them with two diesel engines to fill the void left behind by these Brazilian-sourced mills. The FD1060 is a rebadged B5.9/ISB (an engine also used in Dodge Ram pickups since 1989) while the FD1460 label corresponded to the C8.3/ISC.

~Ben

See less See more
#2 ·
You can still buy an F650 with a CR Cummins and an Allison... however they are the industrial versions and you can't exactly crank big power out of them without converting all of the electronics to a light duty style setup. This forum is for those of us who love our Ford trucks, and the Powerstroke leaves a lot to be desired. Therefore we transplant the Cummins motors into our Fords and drive the baddest trucks on the road.

#4 ·
You can still buy an F650 with a CR Cummins and an Allison... however they are the industrial versions and you can't exactly crank big power out of them without converting all of the electronics to a light duty style setup. This forum is for those of us who love our Ford trucks, and the Powerstroke leaves a lot to be desired. Therefore we transplant the Cummins motors into our Fords and drive the baddest trucks on the road.
:rock

#3 ·
That's what I'm using on my 12V conv. into my '03 F350 is '03 F650 alternator and A/C brackets from 5.9 Cummins so all connectors plug right in and belt can be purchased readily. Steven.

Reactions: Gillig8V71
#5 ·
Hey Bullrack do you have part numbers for the alternator and A/C brackets ?

Thanks

#6 ·
Hey Jakob, I should have said that I used the alternator and A/C compressor from an '03 F650 that had a 5.9. Bolt right up to the stock bracket on my 12V and electrical plugs match up to my '03 harness. That was easiest and most professional for my setup. Give me a couple of days and I'll get the part #'s when I get home. Steven.

Reactions: 04lariatfx4crewcab
#7 ·
Had my son go through some paperwork at home for me for those numbers. He came up with A/C Comp. Ford #XC3Z19703EA or 3AB. Alternator Ford #F6UZ10346SARM1. But I bought mine through DriveWire Auto-alot cheaper than Ford. A/C Comp. #MIYC2492 and Alternator #MIGL498RM. and are still MotorCraft parts. Steven.

Reactions: 04lariatfx4crewcab
#8 ·
Cummins engines in current Ford pickups

I think you'll find Ford also put cummins engines in their pickup trucks. In fact they still do. Just not in the good ole USA. If you go south of the border and I mean way south to South America you'll find cummins engines in the pickups. Guess you could fly down and buy one and drive it back. That'd be an interesting trip. Only have to cross about 20 borders to get back.

#9 ·
Thanks will look into those.

#10 ·
I have some old Motors manuals and they list a lot of engines. I worked at a Detroit dealership in Edmonton and there was a guy that had a bunch of Ford gravel trucks with 8V53's, that had Jake's on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.