The Diesel Garage banner

This is odd

4K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  dzljon 
#1 ·
today i had the valve cover off to inspect a few things put it back on and the engine, started and leaked checked good, went inside chaged my clothes and went to start it again, but it wont start, fuel pump wont come on so with the being the most apparent problem that is what i started trouble shooting, and it started with checking to see if power was getting to the pump and it was a no go so now i needed to figure out why that is, since i have a painless harness installed on the engine is is pretty straight foward where the relay and fuse is, checked power at the fuse(good) 12v so that is a good sign go to the relay verified 12v constant power, ground is good, but this is where it started getting interesting, the switched power is commanded by the ecm and i was only getting 6 volts (actually 5.66V) and a continuity check also reveiled the swtched power has a path to groun with the relay removed, so i figure i would wire in a differnt relay and get the pump going, got everything connected turn the key on and we have fuel moving so i go to see if it will start and nothing but cranking!!! so now i am thinking my ecm has gone bad, how i have no idea! but this is very odd to me, does anyone else have any ideas?

#2 ·
can you pull any codes off the ecm?

#3 ·
when i initially hook up the scanner it will tell me test passed no codes, but if i try to read codes again there is a commmunication error, i am pretty sure the ecm is bad but i dont understand how it started ran perfect and then wont restart it is odd...

#4 ·
Do you get a CAN-BUS Error? check the relay for your ECM, but sounds like your on the right track.

#5 ·
my engine is SCI so i should not see a CAN error, but just like anyone in this position, I would like to know why it happened so i dont ruin another one, but this one ran perfect for the year i have had it, so maybe it was just its time to go.
Does anyone have a good recomendation for a good spot to get ecm;s repair and flashed? i may go down this road if it is economical?

#6 ·
I would call Aden out as GOS or maybe even Bob Wagner ( US Smarty Guru) and see where they get their ecms from.

#8 ·
putthe new ecm in, engine starts and idles but no throttle input so i need to calibrate it with the correct software, but on the upside it proves my trouble shooting correct.... i wish it would have been a sensor....:roflol:

#10 ·
truck is fixed and back on the road, I learned quite abit about ecms over this ordeal, for any one wanting to install a electronic motor i.e first gen 24 valve or common rail, GET THE VIN NUMBER! it will save you time also you HAVE to use the exact same part number ecm, i learned that there is at least 3 different numbers from 03-04 and to find one with the same part number and EXACT same calibration is freakin rediculous! unless you pay $1700 from the dealer and you can only do that if you have the freakin vin number...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.