The Diesel Garage banner

Excursion 12v 47rh swap

16K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  neeltburn 
#1 ·
Hi guys this is my first post I have been reading this forum for some time now. Im getting some money to start my project and i have some questions and I know that there other posts around that talk about excursions swaps but none talk about a12v with a 47rh. Without that said.
What kind of trans mount adaptation I have to do with a 47rh?
What would better to get a v10 or 7.3L diesel excursion?
Its going to be 4x4. Do I have to switch the input on the t case?
If I get the 7.3L would I be able to use intercooler and trans cooler?
With a 12v what kind of electronics im looking to make the ford dash work?

Thanks for all your help all your comments would be really appreciated

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

#2 · (Edited)
getting a diesel powered vs. v10 really dosn't matter, In my experience you can get a really nice v10 pretty cheap vs what people want for a deisel powered.

mounting the engine is easy if you get the mounts from autowold, 12v's are really simple. you will transplant the sensors from the ford engine to the cummins to make the gages work and you will need a tach kit from autoworld or destroked

the trans you want is the bad part, the 47rh is a good boat anchor right next to a 6.0 psd if you tryign to avoid wiring a nv4500 is the best or reuse the 4r100

here is a link of an excursion built using the common rail and a 48re that started as a v10
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ford-excursion-cummins-swap-hpcr-48re-t176490p2.html

#4 ·
Another way to look at things. A built 47rh is a heck of a transmission. The money spent to get the adapter and controller for the 4r100 would pay for half of a built 47rh and if you have to build the 4r100 than you are way ahead with the 47rh. So it is really up to you. The 12v is all mechanical and the 47rh does not need a computer to control it you just need pressure switches and some wiring to get od and TC lock up. For the trans mount I just welded a small plate to my 5R110 mount to change the bolt locations, works great. I had a 47re before (it was a used tranny that had been sitting for 3 years and blew all the seals the first time I drove it) and the drive shaft fits perfect you can get the dodge PCM to control that. The 47rh is about 5" longer than the 47re so you might have to cut your drive shaft. you do have to change out your input shaft in your t-case but getting the two halves of the case apart is the hardest thing with that. I just got my drive shaft cut down, and wont have time for a few weeks to install it but when I do I will let you know how it turns out. I used GOS singles for my motor mounts and their tach kit (Destroked Kit) and just got some adapters from Lowe's for the sending units. And hit my Check engine light with 3v and blew it out. Since I am in the process of doing a 12v/47rh in a SD if you have any questions I will do what I can to help you out. Just know it is the little things that can take the most time.

Reactions: tommyfulano
#5 ·
I appreciate ur post a lot I mention the 47rh because I bought a donor truck from a friend of mine 95 ram2500 12v 47rh 2wd so I figure I just have to get a of housing for it.
Do u know if I could swap housings or do I have to do the of internals also?
Also if I could get my hands on a 2500 tcase would've be better? I figure since I have to modify the drive shaft I would just put a dodge sliding joke.
What u think?
Look forward talking to u about our builds

#6 ·
That is a good combo 95 12v and a 47rh. I would contact Georend or Garmon's and see what they can do for you to get that rh converted into a 4x4. you will probably want to build it up anyway and like I said before you will cover at least half of the cost of the rebuild by not having to buy an adapter plate or a controller. Those rh's are getting harder and harder to find Georend will only rebuild them you can not buy one from them unless you have a rh to return to them. Garmon's hooked me up they took my 47re as a core. If you can find a 4x4 excursion that would be your best bet then all you need to do is replace the input shaft. but if you can find the dodge t-case you could make that work as well. I think it is an np271 same as the ford, the np273 has ESOF. Also might be easier to find a cheap 2003.5-2007 ex with a dead 6.0l and convert that, than find one with the V10 or 7.3l that 7.3l is a motor worth putting money into to keep it going and the 6.8l is a strong motor although a bit thirsty. (I had a 2000 F250 CC 4x4 with the 6.8l and got 13.5 mpgs) Plus with a 6.0l I know you can reuse the CAC, Radiator, and the tranny cooler.

#7 ·
Im a dodge mechanic I will rebuild the trans myself. I just has never converted a 2wd to 4x4 before.
About the ex I have been looking and the cheapest that I could find are 2000-2002 v10 4x4 im going to look im the auction with a friend to see what I find.
Thanks for ur help keep posting

#8 ·
Tommy,
I got the drive shaft hooked up yesterday and filled the tranny. but when I was test driving it, it started to leak right where the t-case and transmission come together do you have any thoughts as what might cause this?

#10 ·
I have a 47rh and the ford NP273 with the dodge input shaft.

I'm thinking rear seal. I hope. But it is a brand new transmission. :bang

#12 ·
Does the input shaft on the t-case hold the rar seal inplace on the tranny?

Now that would make sence to me.

#15 ·
hi guys im back finally got my truck yes a truck i know i started this as an ex in mind but i found this 01 f250 7.3 diesel 4x4 in better conditions and cheaper.
with that said my next question for all u 12v racing experts im trying to build my motor from my 94 2500 donor truck which has 220k miles the motor is in really good contions i got the truck from my buddys dad that he had it since 60k miles.
I want to buy a good rebuild kit and some nice pistons and get like a 4k gsk with the hd valve springs and a lift pump also some injectors and a 66mm turbo.
my goal is to be aroud 500-600 HP i would be super happy
Also behind that im planing on building the 47RH with a full rebuild kit from suncoast and a billet triple clutch tc.
Also where should i buy my conversion parts since im not using ford trans i only want like the ac hoses and motor mounts and the np273 input tach kit alternator etc..
With that said i would like some input and opinions and all of them would be gratefully appreciated.

this is the rebuild kit i found
http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/9498-59l-valve-cummins-series-engine-rebuild-kit-p-28791.html

#16 ·
Here is my advise ( talk to these guys for your build)
Hamilton Cams for Cam, Valve springs and push rods.
Mahle Pistons.
Southern Diesel Extreme for GSK and injectors. and Delivery Valves if your towing stay way from laser cuts.
Get a good turbo like Industrial Injection.
ARP headstuds
Goerend Trans parts

Have your P-Pump bench flowed and build by a good shop.

Haisley Machine is a good source to talk to as well.
Aden at GOS is also a good source.

With these parts your should have no problem hitting 500 hp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.