The Diesel Garage banner

04 F-350 12v

27K views 51 replies 6 participants last post by  04_6.0 
#1 · (Edited)
So i started pulling the motor about a week ago and i just about finished it up today. Here are some pics.

Starting to pull it out.

out

New to me 12v with 143k

Then i cleaned the motor did away with the stock lifter pump and other things. Built the alt and a/c mounts.

Next i was thinking about taking my power steering lines apart and bringing them to a shop to have new ones made. But after looking at them i didn't need to get new ones made after all. The factory dodge has the same fitting as the ford line at the hydro boost.

I took that line off and put thedodge one in its place.

I just had to straighten out the line a lil bit and it fit great.

Next i got the flywheel from a friend and got the bearing put in by a machine shop. I called south bend clutch and the man that handles all the engine swap stuff told me this is exactly what they do. It is a 6205 bearing and just about any bearing shop or oreilly's has it. At oreilly's its more expensive and the part# number is a 205FF.

Finally my adapter plate came in from destroked and i was able to drop the motor in place.

Ill get more pics and update tommorrow im tired and ready for bed!!! Let me know what yall think.

See less See more
#3 ·
It really was not as bad as i thought. It took me about a week from start to finish all i did prior was pull the wiring harness and build it up. The only thing i have left to do is the down pipe waiting on mine to show up.

#5 ·
Very Nice! Chris

Reactions: 04_6.0
#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the words guys. I was kinda going for the look if someone pops the hood i want them to say man it looks like that thing came like this from the factory? I didn't paint it i left it paint chipping but its clean. I wanted to look like an older truck.

Here are some pics of the engine mounts they were really easy to make. I used the mounts from a 89-93 12v they were like $16 a pop and have a lifetime waranty. i made everything out of 5/16" plate. First i drilled out the plate that bolts to the engine. Four holes for that. Then i cut my plate out for the top of the mount 3.5"x4"; then drilled a hole for the center stud of the motor mount. Next i drilled a hole in the factory cross member. Bolted the engine plate in place then the motor mount in place. I leveled the motor and got it perfect in the truck. then i layed a piece of cardboard with a flat side against the plate bolted to the engine and traced the angle and outline of the cross pieces. Super simple. Then i tacked em in place took them off welded them fully and bolted back in.

passenger side

Drivers side

Next i made the throttle linkage, hooked up the power steering pressure and return, and connected the stock 6.0 fuel lines to the cummins fuel lines. Im using the stock ford fuel pump.

after that i got rained out so i built my harness and found some hot wires with the key on for the elec. fans, FSS, And grid heater relay.

#9 ·
Yeah those mounts are super easy i dont see what the fuss is over making your own? I guess if you don't have a welder it would suck. I can't wait to drive it! i am waiting on my downpipe and exhaust elbow to come in and it feels like forever.

#10 ·
So i was finishing up my elec. stuff today got the fans all wired in and fss done. What about cruise control has anyone actually put it on the 12v? Ive been looking through tons of forums and such trying to figure it out. I went to the dealer to see if they could help me out nada. Ive got a CC unit out of an 03 f-150 and wiring connector. I found out that the superduty and f-150, ex's and others all use the same factory 10 pin connector. any help would be awesome.

#12 ·
Dang the main reason why i am asking is because i have about a 18 hours trip ahead of me in 2 weeks or so. It would be a pain to drive the whole way with no cruise. ecspecially if the wife has to drive a little bit of the way.

#14 ·
Its cool man i just wish i could this this thing finished and get it ready for the trip. Does anyone have access to alldata or anything?

#17 ·
So i tried to tie my cruise in this morning. Turns out its pretty much impossible without taking the harness apart and out of the truck i guess the buttons ground and there is about 7 grounds on the pcm plug in!! great!!

#19 ·
Yeah i called destroked and they were pretty much no help at all. I did find the pcm pin out for the first connection. i know i use 9, 24, 31, 35, what other do yall think. Anyone have a clue what 33 is?

#21 ·
How did the older Fords with the Mechanical diesels run cruise control or did they not have it? Chris

#24 · (Edited)
Actually i think figured it out. I finally found the pin out for the ford cruise control connector.

The first number is going to be the CC pin number and the second is the ECM pin number. So that means 1-9, 3-35, 4-18 (& 36 because its a 6 speed), 5-31, 6-??? 24??? possibly a ground , 7-H.I.R., 9-28, 10-Grnd

#25 ·
Ok so i put my downpipe together this morning and drove the thing around. I cant get any more boost than 2 psi. And when it hit about 2.5 psi it bogs down and blows white smoke?? The only mod is the afc housing is slide and that was by accident. Also i am not running a wastegate actuator. mine was broke so i took it off and wired the little arm that comes off the housing in the up position? My turbo is flipped. I really dont know to much about these motors. Any help or pointers. ive read the tech. articles but that really doesnt help me to much sorry.

#26 ·
you wired the wastegate open? NO! wire it shut for now. its probably not spooling up the turbo AT ALL. im sure if you close down the wastegate you will get some boost and it will start to run like it should. it should only take you a few minutes to do and you should get more then 2lbs on a neutral rev.

Garrett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.