The Diesel Garage banner

Epoxy primer

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  RacerX 
#1 ·
Is there any protection advantage to using epoxy primer over anything but bare metal?

#2 ·
I always use expoy, it seems to hold up better. And is much thicker so I would imagine it would protect much better too.

#3 ·
I work in a plant where we see a pH of 2.0 to 6.0 and the PPG epoxy seems to hold up pretty good. I also used it on a truck chassis about a year ago and then top coated it with gloss black.

http://www.ppg.com/ppgaf/hpcoat.htm

#5 ·
Smells better TOO!

#6 ·
I usually strip everything down to bare metal, and then once the panels are cleaned thoroughly, I will usually use a self-etching primer (sometimes), and then use an epoxy. IMO, epoxy is the way to go!:Thumbup: You can spend alot of time preping the panels and then shoot them in epoxy, then take a break as long as you need. You can even put the vehicle outside in the weather, as the epoxy is not porous, like conventional primer.

Once the vehicle has epoxy on it, you hen can do your bodywork, and then use high-build primers, or conventional ones, to build up the surface, and then block it down.

But, overall, yes use the epoxy!!! (Even though it is expensive):Thumbup:

#7 ·
I do more reading than painting. Epoxy has a rep for tight bonding. Some have primered bare metal and left it in epoxy outdoors with excellant rust protection. (me too, i mix a dab for spot protection on scratches) Some don't like the self etch primer with epoxy and fear acid bubble up. Their idea is a scratch sanding etch/bond and just epoxy is better. I have an experiment with epoxy over an acid base rust converter and it's holding good.

I'm wondering if the tight bond applies only to bare metal or any previously painted surface? Thanks for weighing in, I haven't checked in here lately. PPG's omni line is the local body shop favorite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.