New Opinions. - Page 2 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by southern-stroke, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 4414 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 01:44 PM
496 Cubic Inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin5577 View Post
Tell you what bud. You take your truck as it sits, with its 8.1L and EFI Live and all the other mods, and i'll take my truck as it sits, with a hypertech and a K&N intake and we will do three tests. Fuel economy, 0-60mph unloaded & 0-60mph loaded (10Klbs).

If you beat me (best of three), I will give you $100 AND my hypertech programmer as well as never use any hypertech products again. If I beat you, I keep my hypertech, and you give me $100, and you can never speak badly of hypertech products again. What do you say?
I would take that test. Thing is your forgetting something. YOU HAVE A MORE EFFICIENT MOTOR TO BEGIN WITH There is no way I would win the mileage and the 0-60 loaded would be up in the air also. You cannot compare gas to diesel. Diesel will win everyday in efficiency and loaded power since it has a turbo. Im not here to debate a gas/diesel engine. I know what makes more power. All Im saying is I HAD a Hypertech in a GAS motor such as what the OP is asking and I hated it. For me it sucked and I could tell from the minute I loaded my first tune in from EFI Live. Im sure in a diesel where you can get more power just by adding fuel and few other things a Hypertech would feel great. Im sure it feels fast. Its different on a gasser. Main things on gassers are advancing the timing and removing some (or all) torque management which appears in the form of timing retard from various systems in the program. Then you have to contend with KR which often takes out up to 5* timing. If you buy a handheld you wont know any of this nor can you do anything about. PLUS they formulate the tunes for every single motor/driver out there for that year. You think its going to be aggressive maybe even in the littlest bit? Nope. They dont want people calling in saying their motors blew up or melted so they keep it conservative. Maybe a SBC LS motor will be different since the platforms are different but I didnt get any difference in mileage with mine. EFI Live I did however but only on highway. Your not going to get mileage with a 496 ci motor anyways. Wont happen.

Im not trying to crap on anyones favorite product. Im just giving a review based on previous experience from a gasser. The OP can do as he pleases and thats fine but I just wanted to make sure all options were left out on the table for him. It was in my honest opinion from my experiences in gassers and tuning that a mail order tune in a spare PCM would be the best bet. But what do I know

And Robert.....any time your around we can test the middle and third scenarios

2001 HD 8.1L 4x4 Crew SB LT

EFI Live, K&N CAI, MSD, Plug mod (in testing), 160* T-Stat, Flomaster 40 Series SS (Duals)(No tails), Custom H-Pipe, (2) RF P2410's in custom down fire box, Rockford Old Skool 250aii amp, AirLift bags, On board compressor, Custom mount gauges, Body colored trim, 285 Revo ATV's, 16x10 Ions, 6K HID Lows & Fogs, Blue LED Dash, Blue LED Switches, Blue LED Footwell Lights, Blue LED Interior Lighting, and so much more....

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Gone Fishin...

Send a message via AIM to merlin5577 Send a message via Yahoo to merlin5577
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496 BB View Post
I would take that test. Thing is your forgetting something. YOU HAVE A MORE EFFICIENT MOTOR TO BEGIN WITH There is no way I would win the mileage and the 0-60 loaded would be up in the air also. You cannot compare gas to diesel. Diesel will win everyday in efficiency and loaded power since it has a turbo. Im not here to debate a gas/diesel engine. I know what makes more power. All Im saying is I HAD a Hypertech in a GAS motor such as what the OP is asking and I hated it. For me it sucked and I could tell from the minute I loaded my first tune in from EFI Live. Im sure in a diesel where you can get more power just by adding fuel and few other things a Hypertech would feel great. Im sure it feels fast. Its different on a gasser. Main things on gassers are advancing the timing and removing some (or all) torque management which appears in the form of timing retard from various systems in the program. Then you have to contend with KR which often takes out up to 5* timing. If you buy a handheld you wont know any of this nor can you do anything about. PLUS they formulate the tunes for every single motor/driver out there for that year. You think its going to be aggressive maybe even in the littlest bit? Nope. They dont want people calling in saying their motors blew up or melted so they keep it conservative. Maybe a SBC LS motor will be different since the platforms are different but I didnt get any difference in mileage with mine. EFI Live I did however but only on highway. Your not going to get mileage with a 496 ci motor anyways. Wont happen.

Im not trying to crap on anyones favorite product. Im just giving a review based on previous experience from a gasser. The OP can do as he pleases and thats fine but I just wanted to make sure all options were left out on the table for him. It was in my honest opinion from my experiences in gassers and tuning that a mail order tune in a spare PCM would be the best bet. But what do I know

And Robert.....any time your around we can test the middle and third scenarios

Well stated Chris. In case you were questioning it, I was messing with you about the brand 'hypertech vs. efilive, etc...'
But, my other point, as you picked up on, was the diesel and gas programmers are different. Does hypertech suck on gas engines? I really dont know. I have friends with trucks similar to what the OP is looking at that say they love their hypertechs, and I have friends that hated them. Either way, its all opinion as far as brand preference. EFI Live will give more for performance simply because it has more tuning options.

But, next time I head to Kentucky, I will have to take a side trip up your way... I'm always up for embarassing a big block.

-Robert.

My Fleet;

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 2.0L 6A
2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT 2.4L 6A
2003 Chevrolet Silverado LS 6.6L 5A
1997 GMC Suburban SLT 5.7L 4A

TDG MAFIA
Quote:
If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.
Thinking of buying a Duramax? You need to click this link;

Reading material

I am an old Fart;

Toot-Toot

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:40 PM
496 Cubic Inches

Yea penis. It was early and you bout had me fired up. Was thinking "Seriously? What a poser". Lol.

Stick to diesels. This is MY section damnit!

EFI Live, K&N CAI, MSD, Plug mod (in testing), 160* T-Stat, Flomaster 40 Series SS (Duals)(No tails), Custom H-Pipe, (2) RF P2410's in custom down fire box, Rockford Old Skool 250aii amp, AirLift bags, On board compressor, Custom mount gauges, Body colored trim, 285 Revo ATV's, 16x10 Ions, 6K HID Lows & Fogs, Blue LED Dash, Blue LED Switches, Blue LED Footwell Lights, Blue LED Interior Lighting, and so much more....

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Gone Fishin...

Quote:
Yea penis. It was early and you bout had me fired up. Was thinking "Seriously? What a poser". Lol.

-Robert.

My Fleet;

TDG MAFIA
Quote:

Reading material

I am an old Fart;

Toot-Toot

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 10:00 PM
496 Cubic Inches

Get back on topic funny guy!

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Gone Fishin...

-Robert.

My Fleet;

TDG MAFIA
Quote:

Reading material

I am an old Fart;

Toot-Toot

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 10:16 PM
TDG Mafia Goon

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BombDocDiesel
Quote:

Your section? You had better stick with lights and decorating!! There is a reason I avoid your alternate lifestyle section.

-Josh-
"SLICK" 2008 Chevrolet 2500HD LT 4X4 Z71 CC/SB D/A Silver Birch Metallic

My Gassers
1956 Clipper Deluxe project, and 1999 Subaru Legacy "beateroo"

Are you thinking about a Duramax? You need Duramax Info! The Duramax Index

TDG MAFIA!! MAFIA Application
American Club #38
B.O.M.B. Squad #55
Singles Club #248

Army Bomb Squad!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 11:18 PM
496 Cubic Inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDocDiesel View Post
Your section? You had better stick with lights and decorating!! There is a reason I avoid your alternate lifestyle section.
And who called me last night asking about what colors to decorate your bathroom in?

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
southern-stroke
Threadstarter

Send a message via MSN to southern-stroke
Okay, update time..I'd actually forgot about this thread. Anyway, the deal didn't go through. They only wanted to give me $2k for my '98 Dodge 1500 that was pretty much mint and had all paperwork on it. And they also didn't want to finance me without a cosigner because I had only been at my job like four months. So;; I've waited a few months and I'm still looking. But the problem now is I'm torn between whether or not to get a gas or diesel. I'd really like to get a Dmax but I'm getting married in the next year or so and will be looking for a house. As much as I want a Dmax, I may have to settle for a 1500 gasser. No matter how much I want it, my wife and family will come before a fancy new truck.

''Can You Keep Up?'' while I'm ''In The Passing Lane!''
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:26 PM
496 Cubic Inches

How long you plan on having this new truck? If long and you plan on working it or hauling with it go diesel for sure. Last longer. If you plan on selling before its payed for...go diesel again as it retains its value alot more. If you want gas mileage....go diesel again...lol.

If money is only primary concern then yes a gas fits the bill. Dont get me wrong I love gas motors but I also think diesel is a more efficient choice when you add up all the pros and cons.

Choices choices

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode