New Opinions. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by southern-stroke, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 4419 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
southern-stroke

Send a message via MSN to southern-stroke
New Opinions.

I know I more than likely won't get many responses on this site, but what the heck why not? I'm about to trade my '98 Dodge for a '08 Chevy 1500. And, being the kinda guy I am, will not be able to keep it stock. I'm always looking for ways to get better fuel economy. So I'm thinking a cold air intake, dual exhaust, and a chip or programmer for the truck. I know I'm going with dual exhaust with a cherry bomb muffler. What kind of cold air intake should I go with? And what kind of chip/programmer should I go with? I'm also considering going with the Edge CS or Edge CTS Insight to keep an eye on things. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

''Can You Keep Up?'' while I'm ''In The Passing Lane!''
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 PM
TDG Mafia Goon

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BombDocDiesel
That 1500 will have enough information for you without adding an Insight. I always ran Hypertech on my GM gassers and we've had a large fleet of them over the years. EFILive is an option. If you can find someone local that does the tuning and get it done for the cost of a VIN License that would be the best.

I would stick with Flowmaster for the exhaust. I've never been a fan of how Cherry Bombs drone. Unless you buy the really expensive CBs, the Flows will be better.

Look at S&B for your intake. I believe they have a dry filter setup for your new rig.

-Josh-
"SLICK" 2008 Chevrolet 2500HD LT 4X4 Z71 CC/SB D/A Silver Birch Metallic

My Gassers
1956 Clipper Deluxe project, and 1999 Subaru Legacy "beateroo"

Are you thinking about a Duramax? You need Duramax Info! The Duramax Index

TDG MAFIA!! MAFIA Application
American Club #38
B.O.M.B. Squad #55
Singles Club #248

Army Bomb Squad!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Gone Fishin...

Send a message via AIM to merlin5577 Send a message via Yahoo to merlin5577
Never had good luck with FlowMasters myself, but a friend has an 08' with a 5.3L and a magnaflow exhaust, sounds and looks great. Hypertech is a good option, as is EFILIVE. In fact, most diesel tuner companies make gas engine tuners as well.

I know i'll catch hell from a few for this, but I do prefer the K&N intakes. Never, ever, had a problem and they perform great.

Good luck, and be sure to post some pictures when you can.

-Robert.

My Fleet;

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 2.0L 6A
2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT 2.4L 6A
2003 Chevrolet Silverado LS 6.6L 5A
1997 GMC Suburban SLT 5.7L 4A

TDG MAFIA
Quote:
If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.
Thinking of buying a Duramax? You need to click this link;

Reading material

I am an old Fart;

Toot-Toot

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 01:51 AM
496 Cubic Inches

DONT GET HYPERTECH. They absolutely suck. I dont care what anyone says they dont do ****. Spend the money once and get a mail order tune from one of several top people being Jesse at Wait4Me or Nelson Tuning or Justin at Blackbear Tuning. IF you have to have a handheld tuner Diablo Sport would be it as it has some TM disabling features. Get stainless steel whatever exhaust. I got Flowmaster 40 series and are dumped at bed. Its loud and I like it. As Josh said the S&B is a good setup. Get the ducting for "ram air scoop" if possible. It will help with the tuning and high AIT's.

2001 HD 8.1L 4x4 Crew SB LT

EFI Live, K&N CAI, MSD, Plug mod (in testing), 160* T-Stat, Flomaster 40 Series SS (Duals)(No tails), Custom H-Pipe, (2) RF P2410's in custom down fire box, Rockford Old Skool 250aii amp, AirLift bags, On board compressor, Custom mount gauges, Body colored trim, 285 Revo ATV's, 16x10 Ions, 6K HID Lows & Fogs, Blue LED Dash, Blue LED Switches, Blue LED Footwell Lights, Blue LED Interior Lighting, and so much more....

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
southern-stroke
Threadstarter

I was really leaning towards the predator or edge has a unit called the evolution that is very similar to the edge juice with attitude but for gas engines. It has has the lil moniter and everything. I also seen a bully dog programmer for it. And I was looking in Jegs and seen a twin ram air intake for the model I'm looking at. The truck still has another 3 years on the warranty, so the mods may have to wait. Since modding gas trucks isn't as common as diesels, if it had to go in for warranty work, what would be chances probably be for them checking the PCM for a tune?

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:20 PM
TDG Mafia Goon

Garage
Do us a favor and review that Edge if you get it. I've never tried their gas products. Obviously I like their diesel products.

I would avoid Bullydog but that is based on experience with their diesel stuff. If you throw a tuner on any newer truck you are probably kissing your warranty goodbye. Rule of thumb here; if you can't pay, don't play. I void my warranties the day I take my trucks home so I don't care. If that's a priority I sadly have to say leave it stock. On that note; GM dealerships are notorious for saying an aftermarket oiled filter element intake voids your warranty.

Don't worry about 496, he has DIESEL envy!!

-Josh-

My Gassers

American Club #38
B.O.M.B. Squad #55
Singles Club #248

Army Bomb Squad!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:21 AM
496 Cubic Inches

^^^^^^^^^^ Look at this dudes avatar! Do you REALLY think he knows anything about gassers?

Get a spare PCM and have it tuned. Its cheap. Keep your OEM one out. Needs warranty work take the tuned one out and swap it with OEM. Trust me if you want the most power (gassers wont even come close to adding power like a diesel) then get a mail order tune. If not I would spend the money somewhere else cause a handheld isnt going to justify the $400 on an extra 15-20HP.

2001 HD 8.1L 4x4 Crew SB LT

EFI Live, K&N CAI, MSD, Plug mod (in testing), 160* T-Stat, Flomaster 40 Series SS (Duals)(No tails), Custom H-Pipe, (2) RF P2410's in custom down fire box, Rockford Old Skool 250aii amp, AirLift bags, On board compressor, Custom mount gauges, Body colored trim, 285 Revo ATV's, 16x10 Ions, 6K HID Lows & Fogs, Blue LED Dash, Blue LED Switches, Blue LED Footwell Lights, Blue LED Interior Lighting, and so much more....

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 AM
Gone Fishin...

Send a message via AIM to merlin5577 Send a message via Yahoo to merlin5577
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496 BB View Post
DONT GET HYPERTECH. They absolutely suck. I dont care what anyone says they dont do ****. Spend the money once and get a mail order tune from one of several top people being Jesse at Wait4Me or Nelson Tuning or Justin at Blackbear Tuning. IF you have to have a handheld tuner Diablo Sport would be it as it has some TM disabling features. Get stainless steel whatever exhaust. I got Flowmaster 40 series and are dumped at bed. Its loud and I like it. As Josh said the S&B is a good setup. Get the ducting for "ram air scoop" if possible. It will help with the tuning and high AIT's.
Tell you what bud. You take your truck as it sits, with its 8.1L and EFI Live and all the other mods, and i'll take my truck as it sits, with a hypertech and a K&N intake and we will do three tests. Fuel economy, 0-60mph unloaded & 0-60mph loaded (10Klbs).

If you beat me (best of three), I will give you $100 AND my hypertech programmer as well as never use any hypertech products again. If I beat you, I keep my hypertech, and you give me $100, and you can never speak badly of hypertech products again. What do you say?

-Robert.

My Fleet;

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 2.0L 6A
2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT 2.4L 6A
2003 Chevrolet Silverado LS 6.6L 5A
1997 GMC Suburban SLT 5.7L 4A

TDG MAFIA
Quote:
If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.
Thinking of buying a Duramax? You need to click this link;

Reading material

I am an old Fart;

Toot-Toot

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
southern-stroke
Threadstarter

I'll be sure to do a review. I have a friend that has the same module on a '04 F150 with a 8 inch lift and 37's and he said he got him up to 15 mpg on the highest setting. I'm gonna go talk to our local GM dealership tomorrow though. Since it's the end of the year and they will be wanting to make room for the 2011's, I'm gonna see if there's any way I can get a 2010 with the same options for around the same price as the 2008. Guess we'll see.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 03:57 AM
TDG Mafia Goon

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern-stroke View Post
I'll be sure to do a review. I have a friend that has the same module on a '04 F150 with a 8 inch lift and 37's and he said he got him up to 15 mpg on the highest setting. I'm gonna go talk to our local GM dealership tomorrow though. Since it's the end of the year and they will be wanting to make room for the 2011's, I'm gonna see if there's any way I can get a 2010 with the same options for around the same price as the 2008. Guess we'll see.
Good luck! Let us know.

-Josh-

My Gassers

American Club #38
B.O.M.B. Squad #55
Singles Club #248

Army Bomb Squad!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode