Tillotson Fuel System: - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Backslap, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 2440 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Aimless Wanderer

Tillotson Fuel System:

I have an antique "Homelite" trash pump that runs well, (two stroke) but the fuel primer bulb has gone bad from age. It uses an MT83A series carburetor.

It's kind of an odd sized bulb and I've found nothing that resembles it so far. Would really like to be able to use this pump again if a primer bulb can be located.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 07:32 PM

Napa has some of them and most power saw repair shops have every posible bulb. You want to take it out as a pattern, to get the right one.
Just a thought!

1988 ford van fresh overhaul, 1991 nissan pick-up 1993 Caprice 2000 GMC S10 Blaser 2007 nbs 3500 GMC 4x4 crew-cab long box 17 inch single wheels Duramax Alison. BW turnover Ball. Furakawa FL35 loader. Retired, HD mechanic, worked on engines all my life. Fabricator welder. electrician. in the process of finishing my new shop. Live in Rock Creek B.C. Wife has a fruit stand.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Aimless Wanderer
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp3 View Post
Napa has some of them and most power saw repair shops have every posible bulb. You want to take it out as a pattern, to get the right one.
Just a thought!
Thanks John, I have a couple of different vendors looking for a bulbl to match up. It's about 7/8ths in diameter, about the same in depth, and uses a retaining band that fits like a wedding band. The original split at the retaining band but I carefully cut that part back and slipped it back on. It is now too shallow to use as a primer but the seal is good and the pump will once again pull fuel to run.

Homelite is another brand John Deere bought up to rebrand as their own and closed them down.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 02:49 AM

Garage
This guy advertises in my gas engine magazine. If he doesn't have it I'm sure he knows where to find it. http://www.bser.com/index.htm

http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/#axzz2W3plxceB

Yeah unfortunately Homelite was another USA company victim of the acquire and sell by big companies like Textron and Deere. It's owned by a company based in Hong Kong now. My dad' super XL is still a great saw we cut a lot of firewood with it until I left home and he put in a new high efficiency furnace and scrapped the wood burner. Weird how that happened.

Deere is the only US Agriculture equipment company left from so many that existed 100+ years ago.

Early 2004 F-250 4x4 CC 6.0

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

Not a diesel mechanic in real life but I play one on the Internet
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Aimless Wanderer
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weld engineer View Post
This guy advertises in my gas engine magazine. If he doesn't have it I'm sure he knows where to find it. http://www.bser.com/index.htm

http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/#axzz2W3plxceB

Yeah unfortunately Homelite was another USA company victim of the acquire and sell by big companies like Textron and Deere. It's owned by a company based in Hong Kong now. My dad' super XL is still a great saw we cut a lot of firewood with it until I left home and he put in a new high efficiency furnace and scrapped the wood burner. Weird how that happened.

Deere is the only US Agriculture equipment company left from so many that existed 100+ years ago.
Thanks a bunch. I still have a couple of Homelite, and Roper saws from many days of old that are still very good units. They aren't throw away types like those produced today. One of the Roper's has a 21" stainless bar with both automatic chain tensioning and sprocket lubrication, being heavy enough to cut with it's own weight, (not a limbing saw).

I'll make contact with the link you posted.

Thanks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 02:46 AM

Garage
Any luck? I need to rebuild the carb on my little homelite chainsaw pretty sure the diaphragm is bad. Only runs if you throttle the choke. Just one more thing on my giant to do list.

2nd owner, ARP studs 1 at a time, Some parts missing in the exhaust path, BD intercooler hoses, Blue spring, MC filters, Sinister coolant filter, Exhaust manifold gaskets, WARN lockouts, Gold coolant, zoodad mod, autometer boost gauge, high idle mod, Scangauge 2, SCT X3 tuned from KEM, autometer fuel pressure gauge, Archoil 6200 in the fuel, FICM by Ed w/ATLAS40, autometer pyro gauge,'08 Alum Rear Diff cover, 5w-40 Rotella T6 w/ Archoil 9100 in it, zert in the slip joint, harpooned fuel tank, 6.4 banjos

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Aimless Wanderer
Threadstarter

Quote:
Any luck? I need to rebuild the carb on my little homelite chainsaw pretty sure the diaphragm is bad. Only runs if you throttle the choke. Just one more thing on my giant to do list.
I was able to match up a primer bulb at one of the local implement dealers. It was close enough in fit that the retaining band was difficult to get on but it seems to work alright.
The Following User Says Thank You to Backslap For this addition to TDG:
Weld engineer (06-23-2013)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 02:30 PM

Garage
hey guys...just a thought...i do a lot of work for the local landscapers and ONE thing is RUN A GAS STABILIZER...the ethenol in the gas is terrible for a small engine...other things r rr gas filter in tank and replace the lines....about the carbs...replace them. this will keep u sane!!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 03:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ck1 View Post
hey guys...just a thought...i do a lot of work for the local landscapers and ONE thing is RUN A GAS STABILIZER...the ethenol in the gas is terrible for a small engine...other things r rr gas filter in tank and replace the lines....about the carbs...replace them. this will keep u sane!!!!
Agreed I try not to fill any of my low use power equipment with summer gas. It is formulated differently in my area and turns to garbage in weeks. Most of the higher quality 2-stroke oils now have a stabilizer in them. I did find a gas station that had a special pump with 100% gasoline for boats and power equipment. Might fill up my cans there next time I go by.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Aimless Wanderer
Threadstarter

Quote:
Agreed I try not to fill any of my low use power equipment with summer gas. It is formulated differently in my area and turns to garbage in weeks. Most of the higher quality 2-stroke oils now have a stabilizer in them. I did find a gas station that had a special pump with 100% gasoline for boats and power equipment. Might fill up my cans there next time I go by.
Until last year we had a station offering "alcohol free" gasoline also. No longer however. I usually run a small engine out of fuel, then add just a bit to the tank being a mixture of gasoline/sta-bil mix to set for the winter. I start the engine, starve it for fuel, then put it in storage. Never have had any problems but the storage area is also heated in the cold months. When the storage area was unheated, I followed the same procedure but filled the tanks full with the blend.

The question I seek an answer for is simply; why, or why not?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode