The Diesel Garage banner

Early 99 People; You must upgrade your PCM

9K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  SICKS-O 
#1 ·
Installed an NVK5 PCM which I got from DP Tuner this week in preparation for getting my injectors rebuilt. HOLY &#@%!!! It feels like I have a new truck even with my ailing and weak injectors. The shifting is SOOOO much better; more solid and timed better with speed. The XLE4 shifting always felt like it was never engaging the TC enough and shifting too soon between 3 and 4. I swear I have a whole new gearbox with this PCM. Oh, and I now have black smoke. Feels like I have a fuel box on it now; there's so much more power. Taking the ponies riding tomorrow; can't wait to see what it feel like hauling the gooseneck. Can't even imagine what this truck will feel like when I get the Stage 1 single shots and DP Tuner F5 installed. I also cut out the PCM case for easier install of my future F5 chip:sly:

If you have an early 99 and have not done this upgrade, call DP Tuner and get a PCM before they sell out this batch they just got. Best $200 I've spent yet on this truck.

Tim

#2 ·
I did that up grade about 5 years ago and with a good chip is runs great.

#3 ·
im looking forward to upgrading mine, my early 99 runs like poop compared to every other super duty ive been in, its such a dog stock.

#4 ·
LoL...

You guys should drive a '94 E-350 service van loaded to 13,700# for power then.... talk about slow.

#5 ·
ndrorydr said:
The shifting is SOOOO much better; more solid and timed better with speed. The XLE4 shifting always felt like it was never engaging the TC enough and shifting too soon between 3 and 4. I swear I have a whole new gearbox with this PCM. Oh, and I now have black smoke. Feels like I have a fuel box on it now;

Tim
does the torque converter unlock when you touch the brakes? and what speed does it unlock on its own?

Oh and is black smoke nessasarly a good thing?

Steve

G
#6 ·
Stircrazy said:
does the torque converter unlock when you touch the brakes? and what speed does it unlock on its own?

Oh and is black smoke nessasarly a good thing?

Steve
I did this upgrade and yes..what a difference a new PCM makes.

To answer your question...the NVK family I believe does unlock the TC when the brakes are applied. I wanted to keep the TC locked to help with slowing down when the camper is in tow...so went with the PMT family. I believe they are basically the same with the exception of the TC lock/unlock thing with the brakes.

As for smoke...some people are really into it. Some not.

#7 ·
4cstr said:
I did this upgrade and yes..what a difference a new PCM makes.

To answer your question...the NVK family I believe does unlock the TC when the brakes are applied. I wanted to keep the TC locked to help with slowing down when the camper is in tow...so went with the PMT family. I believe they are basically the same with the exception of the TC lock/unlock thing with the brakes.

As for smoke...some people are really into it. Some not.
ok couple more questions as I am still learning all theis junk for our trucks, I noticed on the DP page that Jody can do stock tweeks, is the torque converter lock/unlock up speed, and the brake unlock something he could tweek in the PMC programming its self? I do a lot of mountian towing and I would realy like the torque converter to stay locked down to say 28mph on coast for extra braking.

Steve

#8 ·
Yes he can... Or you can go with a kit from SP diesel that will work as a TC controler and a exhaust brake!!! I have it and love it!

#10 ·
Stircrazy said:
I thought about the exhaust break thing but I am rarely over 2000 rpm so from what I have read it would be useless to me.

Steve

You may be cruising down the road at that RPM but when you need the extra breaking power just initiate the exhaust brake and downshift.

#11 ·
Everyone keeps talking about the improved shifting. That wouldnt do much for my early 99 6spd. If upgrading will help regardless, I should probably go ahead and ante-up. Sam :grd

#12 ·
i just put an NVK3 computer in my early 99 automatic 7.3, theres definitly a big improvement in drivability and power, i like it alot better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.