The Diesel Garage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PPE GT40R LB7 Testing Results

5K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  killerbee 
#1 ·
I would have to say that the PPE GT40R kit has really worked out. I have been testing it in different conditions for months. This is definetly not a girlie charger, and is definetly comperable to the aurora 2000 and 3000 and one step ahead of the BD kit. Max boost with the dual fueler kit on it was 45 psi.
On a 5% grade, I was going 80 MPH, towing a 13k pound trailer and was at about 1150 egt max. The turbo definetly smokes a lot. Pat was not the first person to get the GT40R, I was the first customer, way back in august. I am waiting on the prototype intake tubes, and some dyno numbers, and 1/4 mile times without the lift kit to complete the testing. It is a good towing charger, especiall ypaired with the dual fueler. The housing is smaller than the one casper ran, for towing. 1/4 mile results with the lift kit and a 30 MPH headwind, and no duramaximizer are 13.99@95.95.

I will post dyno results after this saturday, and that will be an inital dyno.
The nickname is the tow and go charger.

#3 ·
If you are talking about egts, about 1500* at peak boost.

#4 ·
I am referring to efficiency. The temp of the compressor discharge. i edited the post above.

This is a really big factor in being able to sustain a grade in the summer under extreme load. It is the most important number for the towing operator. And I expect it is a whole lot better that the GT37 at those boost levels

IMO

#5 ·
Dieselson

I wonder how much testing "your" doing when you make these statments? I think that it's great you have an interest in diesel trucks but when I was introduced to you at the Redline Dyno day I was shocked to find out you were only 11 years old. So the name is truely Diesel son and you dad's truck was nice.

#8 ·
Diesel Tech said:
Dieselson

I wonder how much testing "your" doing when you make these statments? I think that it's great you have an interest in diesel trucks but when I was introduced to you at the Redline Dyno day I was shocked to find out you were only 11 years old. So the name is truely Diesel son and you dad's truck was nice.
You have said a large single is useless for towing, and that you've tested them all.

I've seen Dieselson's family truck, and it tows a pretty hefty trailer with no problems. It is tuned specifically for towing heavy IIRC.

Sounds like he's done more testing on singles than you. ;)

Not sure what his age has to do with anything. Didn't know there were age requirements for hotrodding.

#10 ·
McRat said:
You have said a large single is useless for towing, and that you've tested them all.
How about something that is 80% efficient at 30 psi, 50+ lb/minute?

I am still waiting for a swappable VVT with larger compressor, and some nice big CAC pipes.

If only someone could design a better VGT that does not encounter so much drive pressure.

Hell, I would be happy if someone would just market a downpipe (and new heat shield) with 50% more flow area. It is hard to suggest a new exhaust to anyone with that restrictive downpipe.

#11 ·
How about 78% efficient at 100lb/min and 30PSIG?

;)

#13 ·
Most of the "modern" blade designs are about 75-85%, but I have never seen a compressor map for the AVNT37.

#14 ·
Here's the map for the IHI (LB7), I imagine the LLY is about 10-20% more airflow and pressure ratio.

Attachments

#15 ·
The IHI actually flows more air the the VNT.

McRat said:
Not sure what his age has to do with anything. Didn't know there were age requirements for hotrodding.
Pat I really wish you would stop putting words in my mouth as I've never said any such thing. What I have said is a properly done set of twin is much better than a large single for Towing.

#16 ·
McRat said:
Most of the "modern" blade designs are about 75-85%, but I have never seen a compressor map for the AVNT37.
I am really just interested in finding out if the compressor sections are similar between the LB7 and LLY. I know the turbine side differences are night and day.

Steve, honest question. What do think the improvement in dyno run would be with an improved, free flowing downpipe?

Has anyone done a before/after?

#17 ·
Diesel Tech said:
The IHI actually flows more air the the VNT.

Really?

What makes you think that?

#18 ·
McRat said:
Really?

What makes you think that?
The compressor maps is the first thing and testing both of them is the other.

Killerbee

A free flow down pipe on a LLY is good for a 50 deg. EGT drop and the spool up time is reduced. Max boost remains the same as the ECM limits it. On a LB7 the results are slightly better as there is no ECM control on boost.

#19 ·
Diesel Tech said:
The compressor maps is the first thing and testing both of them is the other.
Let's see some numbers. You show yours, I'll show mine. Mine say the LLY outflows the LB7 charger.

#20 ·
I didn't think you had the answer. ;)

Yes, the LLY compressor outflows the LB7 compressor.

#21 ·
Diesel Tech said:
A free flow down pipe on a LLY is good for a 50 deg. EGT drop and the spool up time is reduced. .
I phrased my question poorly.

What I should have asked, is if we hypothetically limit egt to 1600, how much more HP can the new downpipe config hit, vs the stocker?

#23 ·
killerbee said:
I phrased my question poorly.

What I should have asked, is if we hypothetically limit egt to 1600, how much more HP can the new downpipe config hit, vs the stocker?
Could not answer that one as I've not done the testing that way. The problem is the LLY ECM will correct the boost pressure thus limiting the effect. On a LB7 we see about a 2 psi boost increase when adding the downpipe but due to the ECM in the LLY you will see it increase for a couple power runs while the ECM adjusts it back into the original setting. So if you flow the same air volume into the motor and the same amount of fuel into the motor you should see very close to the same EGT out of the motor. What it does do is allow the turbo to spool up quicker and we see about a 50 degree drop in EGT's under the same conditions.

#24 ·
killerbee said:
Unpublished

but I thought for some reason, it was the same as the GT37
No, the AVNT has different compressor on it with a 88mm wheel, and all the blades are full length, even though it has a surge groove. It fades starting at about 3100.

The LB7 is about a 84? wheel with a smaller inducer to match. I'm at home, so I don't have the exact numbers. It starts to fade at 2800rpm

G
#25 ·
When you guys have a Ford guy going through and deleting off topic material...things are heading in the wrong direction quickly. LOL

Near as I can tell...this thread is about the new turbocharger. Keep in on track before warnings start getting handed out.

Thanks...and carry on.

Dave

#26 ·
Wheel size does not show much of anything other than one is bigger than the other. Compressor efficiency and the size of the efficiency islands are what counts. BTW what does it fades at 2800 or 3100 have to do with anything, the compressor is running at speeds of 50,000 to 120,000 RPM. How the engine is tuned greatly affects how the turbine responds and since the turbine controls compressor speed you need to bring that into the mix. So when you do you will find that the LB7 turbocharger will outflow a LLY turbocharger. You need to look at the whole package not just one little part of it if you want to know how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.