John Woods Trans. kit - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by BigBlue, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1154 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Window Licker

John Woods Trans. kit

How much hp and torque will it handle up to? I know I'll never reach it but it is a little bit info that I would like to know.

1997 Dodge 2500 CUMMINS 5 spd 4x4, 16* timing, #10 plate, pump mods that make it go real hard, 3gsk, South Bend Con FE, studded and o-ringed, AEM Workhorse intake, Straight 4 inch exhaust into 6" Aussie tip Black powder coated stacks, modified turbo non wastegated now and the two big cowbells are now residing on my Goat. Smokes like a freight train and "Hey I got a goat finally!!!!!"

Now my wife's:2006 F-150 Crewcab XLT 4.6L V8 with every option available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue
How much hp and torque will it handle up to? I know I'll never reach it but it is a little bit info that I would like to know.
It is yet to be seen... In all of John's trans kit's we've installed and all of the ones we have sold, no one has to re-build one yet.... Stroked Lightning, DJ, & myself(04 truck) all ran one... There's a good amount of guys on here running them too... I fyou have any questions give me a shout.
Thanks,
Jason
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 05:55 PM

We just took the trans apart on Stroked Lightning and it looked new inside and that is with 639 RWHP

GENE

99 F450 CC, AT, XLT LB Shortened Frame 3.5 , John Wood Tranny & TC , H2 Turbo , DI 6 Pos Custom Chip , Mini-me's , Custom Intake , Idle Speed Control, Turbo Temp Monitor , 4 Down Pipe, 5 Exhaust , Isspro Gauges , Power Pedal Mod. Fuel Regulator System , Dual Stock Fuel Tanks. White Ext , Grey Int , Alcoa 19.5 Rims Factory Center Caps , Cowl Induction Hood , Dual Highway Products Tool Boxes , 5th , Wheel, Goose Neck, Pintle & Class 5 Hitches.

Builder and Driver of Stroked Lightning 11.519 @ 119.26 mph
Builder and Driver of Blue Thunder
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 06:43 PM

gene- you forgot to mention the hundreds of nitrous launches! i love my john wood trans. it's amazing what having ALL the power to the ground feels like. props to john wood!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 02:04 AM

does it come with a new TQ converter

SOLD!!
2004 F-350 CC Shortbox, SCT, S&B intake, Gauges, Intake elbow, ARP Studs, Stage 1 fuel system, Fass 150/180(took off), titian 52 Gallon fuel tank, b&w turnover ball, Line-x in bed and bottom of truck,
hard tonneau cover(Just for winter use)

2003 F-250 SC Shortbox
Singles Club #30
B.O.M.B. Squad #11
Ridin' Dirty Club #14
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 06:58 PM

No it doesn't come w/ a new converter. There is NO need for a converter for any street application unless you want to change the stall. Stroked Lightning has been running the STOCK converter this whole time. He seems to make it down the track pretty good:shrug: :snipersmilie:
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 07:03 PM

But should you get a new stock converter

2003 f-350 cc lb dually fx4 TQshift lariat true blue and gray mbrp turbo back,afe stage1,sct
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Texas XC Quad Racer

Jason, my only issue with the JW trans so far is the very harsh 2-3 shift I haven't been able to get rid of. I just about have it tuned out but it's still there under hard/WOT dead stop and 10-15mph punches. Any other JW guys experienced this?

Black 03 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Shortbed Lariat - studded 6.0, sunroof, MBRP muff-less exhaust, SCT tuning, JW trans, Cobalts, lifted, ProComp Xtreme ATs, 4.56 gears, High-Angle CV Driveline, Warn 15k, AmpSteps, stainless brake lines, Powerslots /Hawk, AGR pump/gearbox/ram, projector headlamps and one heavy foot....

Audio: Kenwood DDX-8017 in-dash TV/DVD/GPS, kickpanel pods, MB Quart 1" tweets/5.25"mids in kicks, 6.5" midbass in doors, rear MB Quart 6x8, Fosgate amps / 3000 watts, 3 - JL 10w6's. Fully Dynamatted and foamed interior.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sredish
Jason, my only issue with the JW trans so far is the very harsh 2-3 shift I haven't been able to get rid of. I just about have it tuned out but it's still there under hard/WOT dead stop and 10-15mph punches. Any other JW guys experienced this?
My 03 with the JW trans is great in every shift. No Problems here
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sredish
I have noticed several others who like or dislike shift characteristics with every brand. Whether it's a certain brand name accumulator or shift kit or build. So I think it's a personal preference thing.

sredish, I can tell you how to change yours to a fully adjustable accumulator that will allow you to adjust shift feel individually for each shift. Whether it's just the one shift you want to adjust or all. And if you don't like the change, you'll be able to go back, possibly even to total stock depending on if they tossed your stock springs. If they used a Factory tech Accum, they have. Send me a PM. The big tranny vendors won't list most specs if any. Some have little info on their websites other than contact, customer trucks etc. I will play by their standards in an open forum, but will help fellow members by pm.

If that much HP is on a non billet cover Torque Converter--I think it's a ticking time bomb.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode