turbo time - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by powersmoke18, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 1187 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to powersmoke18
turbo time

ok guys so I have a bone to pick with Elite diesel, I purchased a turbo with the intention to drive my truck everyday. I was told the turbo i purchased had this capability which in all actuallity is a fallacy. first off you can't put a turbo that is cooled by coolant on a 6.0 we already have problems with puking what do you think a turbo running 1200 egts is doing to the coolant you use to cool it? its not circulating thats for sure, its actually going to boil or in other words cause coolant to puke. secondly the 6.0 camshaft profile is designed for a vgt not for a conventional turbo. in order to run a convetional turbo you ether change your camshaft to work with it, or run twin turbos. In most cases i see people complaing about lipd, about how parts take to long and not being able to contact them I have nothing but great things to say about jeremy and his company they worked with me all weekend to get my truck running right and they are trying very hard to fix elites mistake. elite made me wait 3 months for parts that are not even the correct parts. I was told when i purchased these parts that they would be at my door in 3 weeks. I spent $15,000 on parts from Elite diesel and they never made an effort to get my truck to run right and when i called them i never recived a call back and once i finally got them on the phone they always told me it was in the mail when in all actuallity they never even had the parts in their possesion yet. I am convince that elite diesel has never tested their products that they sell to us. because if they did they would know how poorley and misadvertized their "performance parts" are. dElite diesel is a poorley run organization that needs to do a little more research befor calling themselves a diesel performance parts company. just figured I would warn you guys befor you spent alot of money and got ripped off. like the rest of us Elite customers

thanks for reading, Bart:Thumbup:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 12:20 AM

wow!!!: this should be interesting

'04 6.0, 4.5" lift, straight piped, SCT tunes by Innovative Diesel, studded, coolant filter, EGR delete Tru track in the rear, sounds by JL audio some other odds and ends
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 01:26 AM

Not trying to defend $$$$$ Elite diesel at all! But as for the turbo, I do believe it has the CHRA (center housing) which is a Dual ball bearing turbo do need coolant to keep the Teflon housing for the ball bearing in place. ( I burn one up not using coolant lines on it ) It will not how ever make the truck puke at all. If the truck is pukin then you have other problems, and a pukin truck is not going to hurt the turbo at all. You are not boiling the whole radiator over just the reservoir. You will however choose your coolant line carefully that go the the turbo.
As for the cam shaft, run of thumb is bigger the turbo more duration and more lift. Then retard the intake side a few degrees to pick up the spool up.
How you going to charge $2000 for a upgrade TO4 E compressor housing with surge ports with a GTXX wheel in it and then ceramic coat it? Please tell me what cost so much?:shrug:

2006 PSD 4X4
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

your not boiling the radiator your boiling the coolant around the turbo thus creating excess pressure in the coolant system which is creating expantion. try and tell me a turbo that is glowing at 1200 egt is going to be cooled by a liquid that boils at 260. the reason why parts cost so much is because unlike Elite diesel some people actually like to test their products. so their not selling a peace of junk. testing requires money its not free so the customer must incure some of the testing cost its not just throwing parts together theres alot more to it. try if you could to imagine the time it takes to change the way an engine functions because thats what your doing, jeremy dosn't just modify something and not check to see how it effects the engine. also you can't just adjust the timing the camshaft profile has to be changed in order to make the turbo perform as exspected. by change from vgt to conventional it totally changes the way the whole engine functions the 6.0 was designed for a vgt not a convetional.

Bart
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 01:47 AM
Too much into it now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersmoke18
ok guys so I have a bone to pick with Elite diesel, I purchased a turbo with the intention to drive my truck everyday. I was told the turbo i purchased had this capability which in all actuallity is a fallacy. first off you can't put a turbo that is cooled by coolant on a 6.0 we already have problems with puking what do you think a turbo running 1200 egts is doing to the coolant you use to cool it? its not circulating thats for sure, its actually going to boil or in other words cause coolant to puke. secondly the 6.0 camshaft profile is designed for a vgt not for a conventional turbo. in order to run a convetional turbo you ether change your camshaft to work with it, or run twin turbos. In most cases i see people complaing about lipd, about how parts take to long and not being able to contact them I have nothing but great things to say about jeremy and his company they worked with me all weekend to get my truck running right and they are trying very hard to fix elites mistake. elite made me wait 3 months for parts that are not even the correct parts. I was told when i purchased these parts that they would be at my door in 3 weeks. I spent $15,000 on parts from Elite diesel and they never made an effort to get my truck to run right and when i called them i never recived a call back and once i finally got them on the phone they always told me it was in the mail when in all actuallity they never even had the parts in their possesion yet. I am convince that elite diesel has never tested their products that they sell to us. because if they did they would know how poorley and misadvertized their "performance parts" are. dElite diesel is a poorley run organization that needs to do a little more research befor calling themselves a diesel performance parts company. just figured I would warn you guys befor you spent alot of money and got ripped off. like the rest of us Elite customers

thanks for reading, Bart:Thumbup:

Jeezuuz...should have called it: "Hammer Time"

For those that have no clue here...MC Hammer was a "rapper" in the '80's with a song called: "Hammer Time" (1 hit wonder):sofa
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extended Power
Jeezuuz...should have called it: "Hammer Time"

For those that have no clue here...MC Hammer was a "rapper" in the '80's with a song called: "Hammer Time" (1 hit wonder):sofa

"Can't Touch This" also!

As for the EGT being 1200 degrees, The center bearing in not 1200 degrees. We and argue the fact the whole time if you want but those turbo have been out since early 2001, I know many cars that run them and they have 1450 degree temps at the end of the 1/4 or any hard pull and they work just fine.Also if your truck is going around at 1200 degrees at all time you have other issues.
I personally have ran these CHRA center housing in my race car with on ill effects. I have also logged over 20000 miles on the same type of CHRA before with no problems. Yes my EGT's were also 600-850 depending on speed and grade of the road while driving. And at WOT I would see 1450 and even 1600 some times. So the turbo is not Junk maybe the compressor and exhaust housing and wheels are just the wrong size for your truck. The center housing is made my Garrett Ballistic turbo AKA Honeywell. Not Elite them self.

2006 PSD 4X4
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

what were they run in again a car? Ya i would suspect that if the turbo was place in a gas car it would run fine but those egts are over a short duration plus your getting coolant flow to the turbo unlike the way elite sets up thier turbo. also there is no comparison that can be made between the way a turbo works on a car compared to diesel. Diesel have a totally diffrent principel of operation than any type of other engine. "you cannot compare a car turbo to a diesel turbo" but good point.also the way elite setup my truck the turbo crusies at 1200 egt because apparently elite sucks at testing thats at 50mph. so i can garentee that it cooks the coolant.

Bart.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 03:03 AM

As i said on the other page. I feel ya and hear ya! Loud and clear. I hope it gets worked out for you!

2006 PSD 4X4
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 01:43 PM

I must be old; I knew exactly about Hammer Time.
$15,000.00 is a bunch of bucks mg , I would sure be hammering
Guess it won't be long now :CHITFAN:
Good Luck.:Thumbup:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 03:46 PM

In response,

I have spoke never spoke with Bart. The originally order was sold and taken by someone who is no longer here. I have spoken with Bart's mother over these concerns and I expressed that he was sold the parts to make 600hp, the problem arrised after I was told this vehicle is used for transportation to college. I then expressed that this combination is too hot of an application for a daily driver. I also told Bart's mother to call once she knew what was wrong with the truck (apparently it quit running).

That being said this combination has been run on other trucks and tested. I have ran a larger turbo (than the one on Bart's turck) on multiple trucks long before this one and none of them had a camshaft change. We do offer a cam but do not feel it is always needed (I did not make any of the parts recommendations so I do not know why a cam was not recommended). Back in 2006 I made 708hp at the Diesel Power challenge with a larger turbo and stock cam.

Unfortunately Bart is upset, that is very understandable. His original sales contact has been gone for two months, so we can't go back and ask him why he suggested this level of parts. Yes, the parts he did receive took a long time to get there, this was not that we put him on the back-burner, we didn't have the parts. I can't answer why he was given the time-frame that he was, only that multiple customers have had the same complaint, which we feel has been corrected lately. I can only apologize for the long delay and extend the offer that was extended to his mother, that I will help out once I know what is needed. We have been hard to reach ever since this business was started. Unfortunately we can only do so much in one day. We have two phone people along with new help to better catch all phone calls. Our highest priority is to improve our customer service and especially our ability to take all phone calls.

Last thing I would like to point out, the combination that Bart has received will make somewhere in the 550hp range on #2. 600+ on NOS. I know how to make power and have proven it time and time again. The main issue is that Bart is upset. I have made the offer to help. Since LIPD is helping him I am sure they will figure out what is needed.

Tadd Layton - Elite Diesel Engineering SCT Tuner for 6.0L/7.3L Ford using cylinder pressure measurements for peak power and engine reliability. www.elitedieseleng.com

Powering some of the most powerful 6.0s & 6.4s

VGT-SSThe originator, since January 2005.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode