LIPD...quality control...customer service...you be the judge! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by barry1me, this thread has received 75 replies and been viewed 5192 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
LIPD...quality control...customer service...you be the judge!

Well I finally decided to get a turbo and I decided to get a Stage 2 VGT turbo from LIPD. I ordered it from them on a Friday, couldnt get it shipped out that day cuz it was late in the day. They told me I would have it on wednesday....great! I call monday to get a tracking number, I sent a PM...no answer, I call Tuesday and try and get a tracking number, I sent another PM....still no answer. I finally get a PM on Thursday and got the tracking number, I wouldnt recieve it till Friday. Still not a big deal, I was rather anxious and was told I would get it on wednesday but not a big deal. Well friday comes and I get the turbo. Rob comes over on a friday night(11PM we start the install) what a guy! Were both inspecting the new turbo, and we both notice some very odd things. 1) the clamp that goes around the housing is missing the nut, so the clamp is just sitting there loose! Me not knowing any better, I assume its normal. At this point we are both a bit concerned due to how is the shaft balanced when the turbo is not even together. Then shocker #2...every single nut and bolt on the intake side is loose...I mean I could tighten them with my fingers. At this point we are both scratching our heads! So we tightened the bolts down, took the nut for the clamp off from my OE turbo and started installation of the LIPD stage 2. We then begin noticing that we cant get the turbo to fit in the pedistal. Me and rob struggled with this for over an hour. We then decided to pull the pedistal out, pull the turbo out and try mock it up on the work bench. We then found out that the turbo would not fit in the pedistal. Now Im getting pretty upset, considering how much I just paid for this turbo. We had to grind about an 1/8" of material off from the turbo and also the pedistal to get it to fit in place. Is it normal to recieve a turbo with pedistal and it not being a bolt on setup? I was under the impression that this would bolt up. And I wasnt to happy having to pull out the angle grinder on my new turbo! We get it installed finally at 3:30 in the morning. Since the install I have called over 5 times, and left two voicemails for someone to call me back regarding the issues I have had......still waiting:shrug:

lesson learned

1) inspect every nut and bolt before installing a turbo!

2) from my experience LIPD (or whoever builds there stage 2 VGT) doesnt inspect there turbos before shipping out to customers.

3) Following up with customers concerns or shippment dates is not a high priority at LIPD.

for those that dont know me, Im an easy going guy that would give the shirt off from my back to help someone with an issue (ask Rob about silver lake), but this kind of service that I recieved just bothers me.

06 F250 6.0L ID tuning. RCD EGR delete 03 turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 02:55 PM

Good information Barry.
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 03:21 PM
BLING BLING

Send a message via AIM to Blk350on20s
Guess the only thing I own from LIPD?

The crossover and thats only because it was given to me with the DJs fuel system when I got it from Dan(SoGrand)
Hope someone takes care of you Barry. If not the old SS might be up for Grabs shortly. :evil: Ryan

08 F350 4x4 CCSB 6.4, 6" on 37s and 22s, Spartan DD w/ 310/KEM 345, Elite HPFP, Ported rails, EGR delete w/ wastegate, studs, CFM +, Rudys IC pipe, BD BOV, FASS 150 w/ custom fuel system, S&B intake, Rudys downpipe and DOC/DPF delete, CCV mod, Zex nitrous, Suncoast Trans, 1 piece drive shaft, Recon and tint everywhere. Under Construction
post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 03:25 PM

Wow, not the best customer service at all. Glad you got everything installed though. How do you like the new setup?
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 03:28 PM
TDG Mafia Member#67

i had problems with em to, but mine finally got straightened out so i wont go into details....sorry about your poor experience! and i believe that the turbo should have came to you ready to bolt on. guess its possible it was an 03 style turbo ? but that should have been understood when ordering...and to my knowledge LIPD does build them and i would also think everything "should" be tightened down and ready to roll... sorry to hear about your bad experience!

on a lighter note....hows the turbo perform??

1st murdered out 2011 F250 CC SB Fx4 lariat
2008 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat dark stone, s&b intake, 5" flo pro straight pipe, 7" flo pro tip, sct livewire custom tuned by Eric @ IDP
Previous Rides:
2003 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat centinneal black on black modded up
2001 F250 CC LB 4x4 xlt maroon lifted up
1997 F150 EC SB 4x2 xlt red
http://www.youtube.com/user/6Lstrokin
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
so far I like the turbo. The lag is more then the 05+ turbo from a dead dig if you drop the pedal to the floor. I knew this when I ordered it, but once it spools it goes fast. The most noticable thing for me is the midrange, its much stronger then the stock turbo. One downside is when cruizing at say 50 you have to give it more throttle to get it to spool thus your egts are a bit higher. I towed the trailer with it this weekend (7K lbs) and I was running about 850-950F running a tune. So still pretty good egts.

forgot to mention: I did understand it was an 03 style turbo when I bought it, and it came with a 03 pedistal when purchased, but still didnt fit in there properly.

post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 03:50 PM
TDG Mafia Member#67

ya, it should have fit like a glove then if it was properly matched! thats cool tho! you ever run at the track? so you would know any before/after times? still guna add some pane to er??:Thumbup:

1st murdered out 2011 F250 CC SB Fx4 lariat
2008 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat dark stone, s&b intake, 5" flo pro straight pipe, 7" flo pro tip, sct livewire custom tuned by Eric @ IDP
Previous Rides:
2003 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat centinneal black on black modded up
2001 F250 CC LB 4x4 xlt maroon lifted up
1997 F150 EC SB 4x2 xlt red
http://www.youtube.com/user/6Lstrokin
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L strokin
ya, it should have fit like a glove then if it was properly matched! thats cool tho! you ever run at the track? so you would know any before/after times? still guna add some pane to er??:Thumbup:
havent made it to the track yet...in time. Pane...still not sure what Im going to do yet:Thumbup:

post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 04:59 PM
********* and Mafia #90

Thanked 1,333 Times in 985 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bcarriveau Send a message via Yahoo to Bcarriveau
I cant believe you actually put that in your truck.. i would have sent it back got my money returned and went to BW and got a turbo that comes pre assembeled and has all parts.

Bill Carriveau OFFICIAL POO HAULER

ARP studs, sct, Leveling kit,Airdog set at 62psi with no factory pump, leveling kit,5" stacks, under cab lights, Large in the way Fan shroud Removed, bed Lights being Re-did. Large Alternator(250amps)(130 amps was so 2003). On 3rd set of Hgs(soon to be 4th), 2nd set of heads, 2nd tubro, egr cooler, FICM and more. When i Turn the Key it does return a Favor, not always in MY Favor.
Da Rules..Here
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1249694332
Windows 7 Takes the WIN!
Windows 8 might take that Win
http://www.bcarriveau.com/
Dear Tequila:
We had a deal. You were supposed to make me sexier, smarter and a better dancer. But I saw the video. And I think we need to talk..

How you name your Thread is Important. Read Here

The TDG TOTQ

post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 05:14 PM

I certainly wouldn't take a grinder to a new turbo, it should have been a direct bolt-in especially with the pedistal included.

Did it say "some assembly required" on the box?

07-6.0 4X4 CC Lariat Tow Boss w/36,000 trouble free miles.
CCV-Zoodad-Harpooned, cat delete, otherwise
BONE STOCK
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode