DPP Moving... Decisions?? Need Advice... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by DppPower, this thread has received 23 replies and been viewed 1512 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

DPP Moving... Decisions?? Need Advice...

I know I just got settled into the new shop and I really hate to even think about moving all my stuff again but I have a offer on the table and I have got to make a decision.

My buddy Harvey owns a large wrecker business and wanted to expand into Marshfield which is about 15 miles from his main location in Conway. He rented a building in Marshfield that is rite on the main drag directly across from the Ford and Chevy dealerships and rite next door to Wal-Mart Supercenter. So this building is in the most heavily traveled part of town that everyone drives by.

The building is a 40'x60' with 2 bathrooms, a very large office and carpeted showroom and a nice open shop area with plenty of room for a lift and atleast 3 trucks at a time. It has a paved front lot and graveled rear lot with a big enuff overhead door to pull a semi in.

All Harvey needs for his wrecker business is a place for a desk, a place to park a wrecker and store front to put his sign up so he can be seen. What he has offered is for us to split all utilities and shop rent down the middle and I move in and do whatever I want with the building and just leave him a spot to keep his desk in the office. This would meen my part of the rent would $350.00 plus half the utilities. Harvey is also hiring a full time driver that will be at the shop all day every day for wrecker calls and walk-ins. He said I can work him all I want when he is just sitting there as he will be getting paid already and mite as well be doing something.

The bulding in Lebanon I am currently in has about half the space of the building in Marshfield I am considering. It is so shallow that if I pull a crew cab in and shut the door you have to crawl over or threw it to get out out of the shop. I am paying $1000.00 per month rent on the current building plus all the utilities.

Now I know the new building really sounds alot better then what I currently have but there is more to think about then just rent and building size and that is why I have come to you all for advice.

Here are some things to compare.

Lebanon Location - Current Location
Population around 14,139
Located on main drag in middle of town
About 2 miles off interstate 44
About 45 minutes from Ft. Leonard Wood population of 12,739
About 45 minutes from Lake Ozarks
About 55 minutes from Springfield with Population of 154,777
Drive from my house is 15 minutes
The dragstrip is about 55 minutes away
closest performance shop is 60+ minutes away

Marshfield Location - Possible new location
Population around 7,118
Located on main drag in across from and next too largest businesses in town
About 200 feet off interstate 44 and can been seen well from I-44
About 1 hour 15 minutes from Ft. Leonard Wood population of 12,739
About 1 hour 15 minutes from Lake Ozarks
About 25 minutes from Springfield with Population of 154,777
Drive from my house is 15 minutes
The dragstrip is about 30 minutes away
closest performance shop is 30 minutes away

I have personally always liked the Marshfield area more then Lebanon as the people all seem alot friendlier. In Lebanon you have to be someone special or know someone special before they really seem to acknowledge you and Marshfield has never seemed that way.

My internet business is my main source of revenue and anything I do locally is just added on top of that. I am just really not sure what the best move will be?? I would love to be closer to Springfield for sure as there is alot bigger popultion there than any where else around. But I would also be moving into a city half the size of the one I am currently located in. So my delima is Will being 30 miles closer to Spriongfield gain me alot more business from there that will make up for moving to a city half the size of my current location??

I just do not have an answer and I guess I am wanting some advice from some other people that may look at this from a different point of view.

What do you all think??

2008 F350 6.4L Crew Cab Short Bed - Few basic mods.
1999 F250 Reg. Cab - Twin Parallel Turbo Pulling Truck

"A woman who demands further gun control is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders"

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved” Romans 10:12-13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:09 PM
TDG Mafia Member#67

sounds like you will be saving money at the new location and have a larger shop to work on stuff and if you ever need a wrecker to haul a broke down vehicle to your shop you got the hookup...id say do it! how far are you from henderson, KY? maybe if distance is within reason i and maybe some friends could come up and help move stuff for ya...

1st murdered out 2011 F250 CC SB Fx4 lariat
2008 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat dark stone, s&b intake, 5" flo pro straight pipe, 7" flo pro tip, sct livewire custom tuned by Eric @ IDP
Previous Rides:
2003 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat centinneal black on black modded up
2001 F250 CC LB 4x4 xlt maroon lifted up
1997 F150 EC SB 4x2 xlt red
http://www.youtube.com/user/6Lstrokin
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Chirpin Tires...

Garage
darrell, are you ever goin to sit still...

the new shop does sound like it would save you some money, and sometimes give you an extra set of hands for free, also larger shop. Hopefully you can create a good relationship with the other performance shop to be able to send business back and forth. You will be closer to a big city so if you advertise there, youll prolly have more business. And from what it sounds like, as long as you dont lose your internet business, you should be fine, and i dont see you losing any of it.

I say go for it, but you wont lose either way.

2008 Ford F-250/4x4/Crew Cab/Short Bed/King Ranch/All Options/Viper 5901 Alarm-Remote Start
Spartan 275 Tuned/AFE Stage II CAI/Spearco Intercooler/RCD Intercooler Pipe/DieselSite Intercooler Boot Kit
Powerstroker67's Downpipe/Cat/DPF Delete/MBRP DPF-Back Exhaust
2.5" Ready Lift/Bilstein 5100 Off-Road Shocks/20x9 XD Ambush Black/35x12.50R20 Toyo M/T
Sto-Rage Underseat Box/Transfer Flow 40G Fuel Tank & Toolbox Combo
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:35 PM
HalfAst Racing

do it,youll be a .5 hr closer to springfield...everything is in your favor.

2004 f250 cc/sb,magnaflow turbo back.rockin rcd tunes 18" harley wheels
2001 excursion 6in 35s
1993 mustang lx,6.0l 5r,project rattlesnake
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:44 PM
is here and there.

Thanked 1,110 Times in 665 Posts
get everything in writing.

Life changes, so roll with it, not against it.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcannon View Post
get everything in writing.

With an emphasis on EVERYTHING

other than that, it sounds like a pretty good deal

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd