Sheering of oil and how Amsoil still can protect your engine. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by CrowsSynthetics, this thread has received 40 replies and been viewed 5237 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to CrowsSynthetics
Sheering of oil and how Amsoil still can protect your engine.

I have several pages that address the sheering of oil and how Amsoil holds up. This article is available for down load here. This is in the form of a field study the oil they were using was Rotella T so they used it as base oil.
If you do not like publicized articles then donít reply.
If you want to argue donít reply, I will not argue but I will discuss concerns or comments.

They used our AME 15w40 full synthetic oil they were able to go on one oil change 900 hr = 29,700 miles using 33miles = 1 hr.
This engine is the DT466 which is harder on oil than most 6L & 7.3L International engines. Then you put in how it is being used and you most certainly have a very good example.

Bill

2003 F250 FX4 SUPERCAB SPORT XLT 7.3 PSD
Amsoil 3000 5w 30 ,Amsoil EaAU Air Filter ,Amsoil Pre filter-EaPF13,
Amsoil Dual Remote By-pass BMK-16A, Amsoil ATF & Transfer case, Amsoil 75w-140 fluid front & rear end, Amsoil Antifreeze Fluid
Edge with Attitude, 4" Turbo Back Exhaust,
5" SS Tip
, Transmission Magnefine filter, Sportman Tonneau Cover & Bush Fender Flairs
Now in the stable a new Black 2009 Jetta Sedan TDI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
I am surprised no one has even said thanks this is real world application it does apply to our trucks. Every one can benefit from using Amsoil.
Bill

Amsoil Dual Remote By-pass BMK-16A, Amsoil ATF & Transfer case, Amsoil 75w-140 fluid front & rear end, Amsoil Antifreeze Fluid
5" SS Tip

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 04:22 PM

Garage
Thanks for the info, very interesting! But like any company, weather it be oil,gas, tuners, tires,heck even socks,and dog food. Lay claims of being the best.
You can't go on test done by a one time deal,thier has to be a multipal of test done over many of years.Even then you still have to convince the general public (who have been hearing that product "A" is better than product "B" and vise/versa for years) what is best for them.

Please don't take this the wrong way I'm not here to debate on which oil is the best. Just giving you my point view as one of the general public.
But if your willing to send me 4 gallons of Amsoil for free to try out maybe it will change my prefrance of the type of oil I use.

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Thanks to:JASONS REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE-TELFORD,PA.

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine
The Following User Says Thank You to lilpooh For this addition to TDG:
CrowsSynthetics (09-20-2009)
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 05:36 PM

moved to S/V forum

~Dave~

2012 F350 KR Dually, stock...bone stock.

early 99 PSD CC F250, DP Tuner F-5, Stealth Stage I, Casserly 160cc singles, Monsterbox Tranny, MBRP cool duals, ITP Regulated fuel system, Cobalts and Performax gauges, and way to much else to remember right now. **traded**

2004 Excursion Limited 6.0L, Dipricol gauges on the A-Pillar, Bilsteins and BFG's on the corners, lost EGR (not looking hard for it either), ARP studs, RCD Black Onyx head gaskets, MBRP 4" exhaust, (labor performed by Dan @ Midwest Transmission) **giggled when traded**

Quote:
I'm pretty good at drinkin beer -Billy Currington
The Following User Says Thank You to 4cstr For this addition to TDG:
CrowsSynthetics (09-20-2009)
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cstr View Post
moved to S/V forum
Thanks I was not sure were to post this I was thinking the S/V was for request of products not info on products.

Bill

5" SS Tip

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh View Post
Thanks for the info, very interesting! But like any company, weather it be oil,gas, tuners, tires,heck even socks,and dog food. Lay claims of being the best.
You can't go on test done by a one time deal,thier has to be a multipal of test done over many of years.Even then you still have to convince the general public (who have been hearing that product "A" is better than product "B" and vise/versa for years) what is best for them.

Please don't take this the wrong way I'm not here to debate on which oil is the best. Just giving you my point view as one of the general public.
But if your willing to send me 4 gallons of Amsoil for free to try out maybe it will change my prefrance of the type of oil I use.
The one test one engine is a good point but you have to start some were.
As far as free I did not start with free oil other oil Co. don't give it away ether I would love to be able to do that but can't.

I have a couple more study's Here is on on gas engines this is more than one vehicle and Here & Here is one on over the road trucks.

When I started using Amsoil I to was a skeptic over the years I have come to relies Amsoil is a reputable Co. They stand by their product and quality is always first concerns. They have been saying they are the best for 36 years just like you and myself it is hard to believe they are what they say they are.

I started this post in hope to open the eyes that Amsoil is a product to consider. So much has been argued about our ability to hold up to the sheer I was hoping to dispel this concept.
Thanks for your reply.

Bill

5" SS Tip

The Following User Says Thank You to CrowsSynthetics For this addition to TDG:
lilpooh (09-20-2009)
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 10:53 PM
SLAPS President

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsSynthetics View Post
This engine is the DT466 which is harder on oil than most 6L & 7.3L International engines.
Actually Bill, I appreciate the article. That article actually discussed high ICP's relationship to shearing and thus confirmed my suspicion that high ICP was the correlation between the shearing that occurs in the 6.0 and the shearing that is occurring in the dual hpop 7.3's (both run higher ICP than a single pump 7.3).

However, I would disagree that the DT466 is harder on the oil than a stock 6.0. Your article says the DT466 can get up to 3500psi of ICP. The bone stock 6.0 can actually push 4Kpsi. 500psi may not seem like a lot to you but when you are talking about ICP it can mean a lot (the difference between 3200psi and 3500psi in a 7.3 can mean the difference between injector's dying early or not).

BTW, I see discussion in the article about rings, bearings, etc.. but I don't see any discussion about the injectors.. It is injectors that 6.0 owners are losing from extended drains (confirmed by multiple injector builders), not rings and bearings. Even the article talks about how the injectors were the reason the DT466 was used for the test, yet they were not torn down and inspected.... Wonder why not??

2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155's from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); Di-Pricol gauges; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7;Tunes by Tony Wildman & IDP; B&W hitch; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT radio; JL Audio 275w amp w/ 12" sub; Alpine door and rear seat speakers. pics
Dually club member #76

SLAPS President and Webmaster

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. - quote by Samuel Adams

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Last edited by teamroper60; 09-20-2009 at 11:00 PM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 11:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to M123KT-450 Send a message via Yahoo to M123KT-450
Well that is a good read ! But I have seen a handful of tests ran where amsoil out performed ! ! !

I laughed it off figuring it was creative advertising....

So one day I bought a 2.5 gallon jug of the AMSOIL SAE60W, ran it a while.

Closely watching my oil temps coolant temps and oil pressures.

I couldn't believe what I saw my oil pressure was 15psi higher hot my oil temp was down 27*F and my water tempt dropped 5*F on average.

In my 62' GMC so I then tried it in my 69' AMX I found that same results again...

So then I was like heck its got a CD rating so I dumped it in my 59' Mack Diesel which is a non turbo diesel that had a turbo charger added to it !

The oil again ran colder held high pressure and cooled the water temp down !

I ran all engines 3,000 miles changing the oil filter every 1000 Miles tested it tested good continue use.

I changed the oils again ran them 3000miles on 1 oil filter all 3 samples tested good continue use.

So then I went 9000 miles changing the oil filter every 3000 miles they again tested good continue use.

After that I ran the Mack up to 15K miles then tested oil it. Tested good continue use.

So I set my oil change intervals for 9K miles with fresh filter every 3K miles and use it in every vehicle I got collectors performers workers beaters toys AMSOIL goes in all !

Engine transmissions differentials transfer cases coolant power steering brake fluid if they make it I use it.

Edit:
here is a copy n past from my PM service manual:

Category: Automotive RE: PM service intervals:

Oil filter every 3,000 miles.

Fittings greased every 6,000 Miles.

Oil change every 9,000 miles.

Fuel filter Air filter Coolant filter every 18,000 miles.

Automatic transmissions/AFT T-Cases 36,000 miles.

Gear Lubes changed every spring unless they get wet.

Coolant every other spring.

Every unit is serviced with AMSOIL products, and every vehicle i got gets this weather is car truck ATV Gas or Diesel.

Mike

1953 REO M48 w/w.
1962 GMC C45.
1969 AMC AMX -390.
1971 AMC /Jeep J4K-DRW.
1988 AMC /Jeep Comanche.
1991 Dodge RamCharger.

AMO #9860

B.O.M.B Squad #43

Dually Club #98

Last edited by M123KT-450; 09-20-2009 at 11:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to M123KT-450 For this addition to TDG:
CrowsSynthetics (09-21-2009)
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage

That might be true if they were operating in the same applications the DT466 is running at almost full RPMís and the oil went 983 hrís IMO and the study states on page 13 as well as the owner. You are talking about only 500 psi difference this also is not that big of a difference since both are high 3,500 - 4,000 anyway. In the first paragraph the conditions are stated.

If the DT466 was in an f250 or 350 - 450 daily driver this might apply.

But it is being used in an extreme working environment the sheering does apply and shows the oil can with stand and protect the engine well beyond the OEM oil drain intervals. And the tear down at 80,000 hr = 264,000 miles shows it did its job. It is one engine but I would be looking for more to come now that the refuge knows how well it works. As far as injectors I am surprised it was not mentioned but I will ask and see what is there reply. The injectors loses were not from using Amsoil I am sure.

5" SS Tip

Last edited by CrowsSynthetics; 09-21-2009 at 04:10 PM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsSynthetics View Post

That might be true if they were operating in the same applications the DT466 is running at almost full RPMís and the oil went 983 hrís IMO and the study states on page 13 as well as the owner. You are talking about only 500 psi difference this also is not that big of a difference since both are high 3,500 - 4,000 anyway. In the first paragraph the conditions are stated.

If the DT466 was in an f250 or 350 - 450 daily driver this might apply.

But it is being used in an extreme working environment the sheering does apply and shows the oil can with stand and protect the engine well beyond the OEM oil drain intervals. And the tear down at 80,000 hr = 264,000 miles shows it did its job. It is one engine but I would be looking for more to come now that the refuge knows how well it works. As far as injectors I am surprised it was not mentioned but I will ask and see what is there reply. The injectors loses were not from using Amsoil I am sure.
Here is an example it would not let me add to post.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ambulance Service Action News.pdf (163.5 KB, 43 views)

5" SS Tip

Closed Thread

Tags
ame 15w40, amsoil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode