Transmission servicing - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by HeavyAssault, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 1345 times.

View Poll Results: Motor best for MPG
Cummins 21 52.50%
Powerstroke 8 20.00%
Duramax 11 27.50%
Voters: 40. This poll is closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Pursuit Interceptor

Transmission servicing

Okay what's the thought process........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 07:29 PM

got 365000km out of my 96 and never serviced the trany or changed oil in the trany.The thing is parked and still shifts like new{with 365000km on it].
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 08:41 PM

Flushed mine at 30k still smelt new. Went 80k more miles flushed and it smelt a little sour. Now 150k on the tuck and I'm about to do it again. If it wouldn't have smelt sour the second time I would have left it.

Now my good friend at work had a 99 with 380k on the tranny never changed his once until T/c started slipping at 380k But this truck was tough for some reason, 400+k miles and still on the original CPS
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 05:39 AM

I operate my vehicle on steep, rough, slow climbing terain that can be very dusty at times. A standard tranny would shine in this enviroment but i'm stuck with an automatic. It doesn't take very long to get the temps up there especially if you are traveling at slow speed with any sort of load.

I make a consistant mountain climb every week and monitor my transmission temps to avoid overheating.

It is interesting to see how the temps drop after a service or how they respond differently using various oil products.

I have had other ford pu's and substituted synthetic fluid over the standard mercon using the same mountain climb - sythetics outperform.

I service my fluid on a regular basis and have had no tranny problems. The temp gauge is a definate assett. ( after market real one, not the stock idot gauge)

04 f350, 6.0l psd
banks intercooler, afe intake, zoodad, egr block, fuel x over line, fluidamper , gutter mod, coolant filter, amsoil bypass filter, quad gauge pod with autometer guages, bilsteins
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:57 PM

I did a dealer flush at 30k - what was I thinking - they couldn't get that right. Due to playing with aftermarket pans (and returning to stock), I've sinced drained the pan and replaced that fluid a couple of times. Fluid has always been in good shape. I'll keep on just draining the pan and replacing with fresh fluid every 30k; along with a new external filter. I would suspect that the flush machines and the chemicals used could have an adverse effect on the tranny. Maybe they would be good for one that went alot of miles on old fluid to clean them out, but if you keep the fluid fresh and clean, you're in good shape.

Mark
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:45 PM

We Replace Trannies Monthly At Our Shop Because They Were Not Maintained, Atf Is A Petroleum, It Breaks Down When It Gets Hot And Or Dirty. It Gets Dirty From Internal Transmission Wear. Why Do You Think They Put A Filter In There???? Now Given Better Fluids Are Now Put In Vehicles, Such As Synthetics,, And Aftermarket Additives, And Dual Filters Are Normaly The Case On Diesel Trucks,, In Normal Driving Conditions. Longer Change Intervels Are A Reality. Me,, Under Heavy Towing, Or Loaded Conditions, The Fluid Will Get Hot, Break Down, And If Left Unchanged, Will Eat Up A Transmission.. I Do Mine Every 30 Or 40 K.. I Reccomend The Same To All Of Our Customers.. Synthetics Can Go Much Longer In Transmissions,, 50k To 100k Depending On Driving Habits.. Fact,, Number One Cause Of Transmission Failure Is Heat, Heat Breaks Down The Fluid, When Fluids Shot, The Trans Is Headed South.. I Get My Paycheck Because People Did Not Do Reccomened Maintence, ..
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 12:01 AM

Look at it like this, the oil lubricates the trans bearings, bushings and pumps. The filter strains the clutch material that wears off out of the oil, and also the metal that wears off. If you never change the fluid in the trans, you never put fresh lube in, and never change the filter. Would you do that to your motor? I doubt it, so why do so many think it is a good idea to not change the trans fluid?

The workhorse: 86 F250 6.9 4 speed 4wd 4.10 gears, electric fuel pump
The other workhorse: 92 F350 2wd crew cab, 92 6BT Cummins, NV4500 and GV overdrive unit, 4.10 rear axle
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK-D-TANK
We Replace Trannies Monthly At Our Shop Because They Were Not Maintained, Atf Is A Petroleum, It Breaks Down When It Gets Hot And Or Dirty. It Gets Dirty From Internal Transmission Wear. Why Do You Think They Put A Filter In There???? Now Given Better Fluids Are Now Put In Vehicles, Such As Synthetics,, And Aftermarket Additives, And Dual Filters Are Normaly The Case On Diesel Trucks,, In Normal Driving Conditions. Longer Change Intervels Are A Reality. Me,, Under Heavy Towing, Or Loaded Conditions, The Fluid Will Get Hot, Break Down, And If Left Unchanged, Will Eat Up A Transmission.. I Do Mine Every 30 Or 40 K.. I Reccomend The Same To All Of Our Customers.. Synthetics Can Go Much Longer In Transmissions,, 50k To 100k Depending On Driving Habits.. Fact,, Number One Cause Of Transmission Failure Is Heat, Heat Breaks Down The Fluid, When Fluids Shot, The Trans Is Headed South.. I Get My Paycheck Because People Did Not Do Reccomened Maintence, ..

Dang! That Was Hard To Read. :
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellro86
Look at it like this, the oil lubricates the trans bearings, bushings and pumps. The filter strains the clutch material that wears off out of the oil, and also the metal that wears off. If you never change the fluid in the trans, you never put fresh lube in, and never change the filter. Would you do that to your motor? I doubt it, so why do so many think it is a good idea to not change the trans fluid?
Good point. One other very important point even the other professionals don't get: Clutch lining and metal from locking torque converters doesn't go directly to the pan filter. I make changes in my rebuilds so that doesn't happen.

The flush machine is used as a faster and cheaper way to change fluids. Fluid can still be changed correctly without a torque converter drain plug using the cooler line. I change fluids without a flush machine.

The real advantage a flush machine should only be used for: To clean the tiny passages of the transmission cooler. Then the amount of solvent it leaves behind would be worth the benefit of pressure cleaning the passages. I take the cooler out and hot tank it instead. Just like the radiator shops do. I do pressure flush the cooler lines. :Thumbup:
-
-
-
-
-
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 08:55 PM
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner

When this stock one dies, I'll change the fluid since a better one (tranny that is) will go in :evil: After that prolly every 60K depending on my abuse :sofa

2007 Dodge 3500 MegaCab Laramie CTD 4x4 Patroit Blue Just a bunch of Go fast parts and programing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode