what truck should i buy - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by naftel, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 925 times.

Poll: How old are you???
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
How old are you???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
what truck should i buy

blew the engine on my 96 gm 6.5 on friday. 7500 quoted to put a rebuilt engine in.

so probably better to buy a used truck. looking at spending less than 20K
drive 200+km's (120m) per day to and from work so thinking i should stay with diesel but what kind?

other things to consider - need 4wd as its nasty here in the winter and extended or crew cab would be preferred

vote for your choice and post why i should choose a certain truck

ford
chev
dodge
put in the rebuilt engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 07:24 PM

I could be wrong, but I think the new Dodge is posting the best mileage empty right now for your commuting- If it's gonna be a used truck, all bets are off...........Like Forrest Gump said, ".......You never know what you're gonna get"

Whatever you do, just make sure you're happy with what you've bought.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:25 AM

I have had both a Duramax and two f250s. IMO if u want a truck that is pretty and to just tow around your boat go with the Chevy if you want a good looking truck that is a real heavy duty than get the Ford. Either way if your burning diesel your goin the right way!!!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:30 AM

I've had both Fords and Dodges. I personally like the Dodges better as they get better MPG than the Fords did, and they seem more reliable in the long term. (beyond 100k miles) I've had Dodges w/ 290k, and 213k. My Pwerstroke was pretty worn out at 184k. Good luck with your decision. They are all good trucks.

2003, 2wd, quad cab, long bed, automatic, AEM intake, Striker II, Isspro guages, 275k miles
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:44 AM

I have a powerstroke with headstuds in it for sale ill even deliver it to north of north dakota :

The beast- 2005, F250, EXT Cab, Long box, 4x4

Performance- AFE air-intake, 5" exhaust, SCT, Casserly 225 sticks, ATS fuel system, ATS Trany, ATS Aurora 5000 turbo, oh and a Banks inter-cooler (I wanted a spearco but got a good deal)

Exterior-aka the stuff that slows it down
BDS 6" lift, 35" tires sittin on the stock rims
Interior- Cobalt Gauges, Pyro, boost, tranny and fuel pressure, 13% window tint, oh and cant forget those floor mats...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesie
I could be wrong, but I think the new Dodge is posting the best mileage empty right now for your commuting- If it's gonna be a used truck, all bets are off...........Like Forrest Gump said, ".......You never know what you're gonna get"

Whatever you do, just make sure you're happy with what you've bought.

unfortunately i think i will have to be used cause as i say budget tops out at 20K and i don't know of any dealer who's gonna give me a diesel truck thats 4wd with extended or crew cab for that amount.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshaw638
I have had both a Duramax and two f250s. IMO if u want a truck that is pretty and to just tow around your boat go with the Chevy if you want a good looking truck that is a real heavy duty than get the Ford. Either way if your burning diesel your goin the right way!!!
between your duramax and the f250's which gets better fuel economy empty? as i don't tow and only load it for short distances to and from the lumber yard.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naftel
between your duramax and the f250's which gets better fuel economy empty? as i don't tow and only load it for short distances to and from the lumber yard.
Well I ran Efi Live tuning on my Duramax and got pretty decent fuel eco unless I was heavy in the throttle a lot. I cant remember exact numbers but I know definatley got better fuel milage w the tune. On my Ford im not getting real good fuel mileage cuz im running it stock and I havent recieved my new SCT tune for it quite yet. IMO if you are going to get a used diesel for around 20k i would go with the 7.3 f250, those motors are tanks. My good friend just bought an 01 f250 crew cab 4x4 7.3L diesel for 18k i believe. It was immaculate inside and out. Just make sure to shop around a lot cuz with fuel prices right now there is a lot of good deals to be had! Good luck and let us know what you end up with!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 06:32 PM

ive got a cummins for sale i can deliver it too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode