Plowing with crew cab 3500 longbox - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Duke, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 2574 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy

Plowing with crew cab 3500 longbox

I KNOW it's not recommended. The Ford guys have told me over & over my truck will "break in half". No need for Ford guys to comment. I know your answer

All that aside, anyone plow with a crewcab longbox?

I may have to force the situation because of a lot of extra plowing contracts coming in. Just don't have 10 grand for another somewhat reliable plow truck right now......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned

Being perceived as a ford guy I'll still comment... We have an 06 crew long box with a 8" Pro plow on it. The first time I used it, it broke in 1/2... Just kidding...It does pretty well. But we load the rear down heavy (2500lbs) . Also has a fiberglass topper. The only thing I noticed is that the front seems to pound hard on the front bump stops. Especially when I had a good snow roll going and the drive way had many little dips. Where the truck kind of got a suspension oscillation going. It also squats the front bad. To the point you really have to watch your approaches and departures into and out of parking lots. I have busted open some long country drives and it does fine. Our parking lot at the plant is large enough that maneuverability has never been an issue. The plow has only been on for three seasons. So far nothing has broke, the rest of the year it goes into the service fleet. But for plowing their are only three people that operate it. Me, the Owner and an old retired heavy equipment operator that works P/T. My philosophy on plowing is always push, no ramming, back up from the pile a bit before you raise the blade. Once your stuck give up and shovel your truck will thank you. Always worked well for me and I have been plowing for over 30 years..

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Toyaholic

Have you ever met a bright Ford guy? It just affects the GVW. Its alot of weight on front suspension. I have a CCSWB that hasn't broke yet.

01 Chevy CC/SB 4WD. Not Quite Stock.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabel View Post
Have you ever met a bright Ford guy? It just affects the GVW. Its alot of weight on front suspension. I have a CCSWB that hasn't broke yet.
So you plow with yours? Any pics with plow mounted? I thought CCSB was kosher with a plow, but long box wasn't.....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedwagesracing View Post
Being perceived as a ford guy I'll still comment... We have an 06 crew long box with a 8" Pro plow on it. The first time I used it, it broke in 1/2... Just kidding...It does pretty well. But we load the rear down heavy (2500lbs) . Also has a fiberglass topper. The only thing I noticed is that the front seems to pound hard on the front bump stops. Especially when I had a good snow roll going and the drive way had many little dips. Where the truck kind of got a suspension oscillation going. It also squats the front bad. To the point you really have to watch your approaches and departures into and out of parking lots. I have busted open some long country drives and it does fine. Our parking lot at the plant is large enough that maneuverability has never been an issue. The plow has only been on for three seasons. So far nothing has broke, the rest of the year it goes into the service fleet. But for plowing their are only three people that operate it. Me, the Owner and an old retired heavy equipment operator that works P/T. My philosophy on plowing is always push, no ramming, back up from the pile a bit before you raise the blade. Once your stuck give up and shovel your truck will thank you. Always worked well for me and I have been plowing for over 30 years..

"PERCEIVED" as a Ford guy??????

Buwahahahahaha. You ARE the biggest Ford cheerleader on the website!!

But thanks for sharing the experiences anyway.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 01:13 AM
Toyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
So you plow with yours? Any pics with plow mounted? I thought CCSB was kosher with a plow, but long box wasn't.....
I dont have any pics. cant take any soon because I cant find controller. The weight is carried from suspension foward. If anything, a control arm would crack or a torsion bar would snap. frame break in half? I dont think so. Maybe a ford would. Then again, they have so many issues nothing would surprise me.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 01:22 AM
Banned

We had to sign a ''Hold Harmless" or the truck shop would not install the plow on our truck.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Toyaholic

Alot of shops wont even install on extra cabs. My wife almost bought me an 03 gasser new. She asked the sales person if my plow from my older truck would fit. They told her the warranty would be voided if I put a plow on truck. She asked how it could be called "HD", put her check book away, and walked out. Sucks I didnt get a "new" truck, but I'm glad I held out for a diesel.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy
Threadstarter

Plows are getting ridiculous. $4,700??? I can buy a used 4x4 truck & plow for $8,000.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Plows are getting ridiculous. $4,700??? I can buy a used 4x4 truck & plow for $8,000.
Duke keep an eye out at the local Chevy dealers. Lots of times they will take a truck in on trade, strip the plow and it will be sitting around. Most of the time they are happy to sell at a reasonable price. You might not end up with the exact mount for the truck you need. But if the price is right you can still come out better even if you need to purchase a new truck mount.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode