Towing Heavy Cargo - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by daig1983, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 1407 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Towing Heavy Cargo

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this..
I am going to start hauling bottled water long-term come summer with my 2007 2500HD Silverado Diesel 4x4 standard box crew cab that has 205k,

I plan on buying a 14' cargo trailer with a tag hitch, travel on mostly highway, but a bit of grid as well, I plan on hauling the 5 gallon bottles (approx. 43lbs each) and as much as i can without harming the truck.

Problem is, I have no idea how much I can tow without harming the truck or what steps to take to ensure I get the most life out of this truck.

To be honest I don't know much when it comes to GVWR's and all that, so I was wondering what people with experience in this matter have to say,
what weight can this truck handle as far as the weight of a trailer and cargo inside the trailer?, also should i be worried about the trucks capability of this type of work?

Any opinions regarding this post will be GREATLY appreciated?

Also, I "THINK" the trailer capacity is around 12 or 13k, I cant seem to make out what the tag says on the inner door as far as weight capacities go.

Thanks Folks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 01:50 AM

You want to find out for sure what the trailers capacity is even if you have to take it to a repair facility or phone and ask. Measure the pipe diameter of the axles, size of the brake drum, number of wheel lugs size and capacities of the tires.
The first couple of loads you do not want to load it to heavy, and change your oil more often, in the diffs, engine, and transmission. Until you are familiar with the areas you need to go and how it handles. Do you have a bumper pull or a goose neck, what is the rating of your truck and it's tires. Check you hitch that it is large enough for what you want to do.
Be sure you are licenced properly, and have the trailer inspected, bearings and brakes wiring, frame everything.
Just a thought!

1988 ford van fresh overhaul, 1991 nissan pick-up 1993 Caprice 2000 GMC S10 Blaser 2007 nbs 3500 GMC 4x4 crew-cab long box 17 inch single wheels Duramax Alison. BW turnover Ball. Furakawa FL35 loader. Retired, HD mechanic, worked on engines all my life. Fabricator welder. electrician. in the process of finishing my new shop. Live in Rock Creek B.C. Wife has a fruit stand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode