Looking for some expert opinions on fuel system failure - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by f419sr1, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 3923 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Looking for some expert opinions on fuel system failure

I know this isn't a Ford but any help would be appreciated.
As the title says I'm looking for some opinions on my fuel system failure. I turned it into my insurance and they are saying it is normal wear and tear. If I could get some replies from some experts on what you think happened and why. Have you ever herd of a entire fuel system going bad all at once. Could this be wear and tear? I don't need names but if you could qualify yourself that would be great.
Here is the scenario

4/1/2011 I got fuel at the Delta Gas Station on Railroad Ave., Patterson around 7-7:30am. Exhibit 01 - Approximately 40-50 miles later, the truck started running poorly and finally got to the point that it needed to be towed.
Exhibit 02 - It was taken to Salerno GMC Dealership, Randolph, they diagnosed the problem, the #5 injector and the fuel pressure sensor were bad.
Exhibit 03 - The truck was then taken too J&J Diesel Repair for the work to be completed. Upon completion of that repair, the truck was still not running right and J&J did not have the computer program to continue working on the truck. Exhibit 04 & 05 -

So the truck was then sent to Gearhart Chevrolet where it was diagnosed as fuel contamination. The tank was dropped and cleaned, cleaned fuel lines, replace fuel filter, start vehicle; runs poorly. #5 and #6 injectors reading +12 out of range, replace #5 and #6 injectors. Start vehicle, still runs poorly, #3 and #7 injectors now reading +12, out of range, replace those. Vehicle ran better but has immediate miss fires, suggested to replace all other injectors. Injectors were programmed each time injectors were replaced. Exhibit 06

Truck still runs poorly, now loosing power going up hills. Replace fuel filter housing and sending unit. Exhibit 07

Truck still runs poorly so replaced and installed new pressure relief valve. Exhibit 08

Truck is still running poorly and loosing power, fuel system unable to reach correct operating pressure, engine fuel pump not putting enough P.S.I. probably related to prior water contaminated fuel, checked system injectors tested good, needs fuel injection pump. Exhibit 09

The Service Manager suggested that I turn this into my insurance due to water contaminated fuel caused all the damage to the system.

Please tell me what you think and why.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 05:12 PM
SLAPS President

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by f419sr1 View Post
Exhibit 02 - It was taken to Salerno GMC Dealership, Randolph, they diagnosed the problem, the #5 injector and the fuel pressure sensor were bad.
First off, there is no fuel pressure sensor on these trucks... Not sure where the GMC dealer came up with that.

Secondly, you don't give any information on your particular truck and did not say how many miles are on the truck but fuel pumps do go bad over time and the fuel pressure regulator spring does go weak over time. Both can be replaced.

Third (and I don't mean to sound condescending here) are you sure you didn't put gas in it instead of diesel? That is a more common thing that many would care to admit..

2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155's from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); Di-Pricol gauges; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7;Tunes by Tony Wildman & IDP; B&W hitch; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT radio; JL Audio 275w amp w/ 12" sub; Alpine door and rear seat speakers. pics
Dually club member #76

SLAPS President and Webmaster

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. - quote by Samuel Adams

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Last edited by teamroper60; 06-27-2011 at 05:17 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yes it was the regulator not a sensor poor choice of words on my part. The truck has 108,000. I have had diesels going back to 1988 and no I did not put gas in the truck. It also went through 9 injectors all at once. In the letter it shows that the # 5 was replaced and on just test time it wiped the new #5 out too. Yes parts go bad but why ot what caused the entire fuel systen to go all at once. Is it normal wear or cause and effect?
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 07:53 PM

so why have you not yet given any details as to what engine? ? ? assuming its a chevy do they not also have some sort of water in fuel indicator. did you get the "contaminated"fuel sampled. then you might have a claim against the fuel supplier. the onus on you would be to prove that your fuel system had been maintained to factory specs and that no part of the condition was preexisting to the fill up. i wish you well

Canadian Club #31
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogen View Post
so why have you not yet given any details as to what engine? ? ? assuming its a chevy do they not also have some sort of water in fuel indicator. did you get the "contaminated"fuel sampled. then you might have a claim against the fuel supplier. the onus on you would be to prove that your fuel system had been maintained to factory specs and that no part of the condition was preexisting to the fill up. i wish you well
Its a 06 GMC lbz. The dealer pulled the tank and said it was loaded with water which I have on the repair order. The tank was cleaned as stated in the letter to them. The fuel was dumped into a dump tank at the dealer contaminating my fuel samples. The insurance co came out and I'm guessing 1week to 1 1/2 week later and took a sample off the top of the tank which we all know water doesn't float in fuel. They sent the sample out and it comes back clean. I'm trying to find out is it common for a entire fuel system 9 injectors fuel regulator and injection pump to go all at on time. Is this a common occurrence (wear and tear) like the insurance co. is saying or is this cause and effect? I maintain my truck and there were no pre existing problems before fueling that morning. I had a amsoil bypass for the extra filtration and an air dog on for the fuel filtration. Unfortunately for me I never kept records of the maintenance I did never thought I would need to prove I service my truck. Lesson learned I now have a file for every penny spent on it.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 09:14 PM
SLAPS President

Garage
I didn't even notice this was not about a Ford 6.0. This needs to be in the GM section, not this one.

2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155's from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); Di-Pricol gauges; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7;Tunes by Tony Wildman & IDP; B&W hitch; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT radio; JL Audio 275w amp w/ 12" sub; Alpine door and rear seat speakers. pics
Dually club member #76

SLAPS President and Webmaster

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. - quote by Samuel Adams

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60 View Post
I didn't even notice this was not about a Ford 6.0. This needs to be in the GM section, not this one.
Why would it matter which section its in. The basic question is it common to lose an entire fuel system all at once under normal conditions. Has any one ever herd of this happening under normal conditions or to lose the entire system all at once does some thing have to happen to it? I'm looking to try and back up what I believe that its not common place for this kind of failure to happen with out a cause.
To clarify each exhibit is a dealer receipt
I was hoping that people would read the sequence of events and give an opinion on what they think happened.

Last edited by f419sr1; 06-27-2011 at 10:31 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 PM
ADMIN/MAFIA

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by f419sr1 View Post
Why would it matter which section its in. The basic question is it common to lose an entire fuel system all at once under normal conditions. Has any one ever herd of this happening under normal conditions or to lose the entire system all at once does some thing have to happen to it? I'm looking to try and back up what I believe that its not common place for this kind of failure to happen with out a cause.
To clarify each exhibit is a dealer receipt
I was hoping that people would read the sequence of events and give an opinion on what they think happened.
This ensures members to be able to give you the best answer. While most newer model diesel engines fuel systems are similar the 6.0L PSD is quite different than any of the GM Duramax fuel systems. It is possible for something such as water to damage an injection pump and injectors, the Dmax using the CP3 to pull fuel from the tank then send it to the fuel rails. While the 6.0L does not have an injection type pump and is a HEUI system that uses the HPOP to build pressure.

Thread also moved to LBZ DMax forum.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting" -Townsend Whelen

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Big Horn
6.7L 68RFE 4wd
Yeah its stock.
Edge Insight CTS / Line-X / Access Bed Cover
B&W Turnover Ball / Companion Hitch
Pac Brake Air Bags
On Board Air
Optima Redtop 34Rs

2010 John Deere 2305
2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Rubicon/ Tuned with some toys.
2016 Keystone Impact 311 Toyhauler

9-11-2001 NEVER FORGET
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Pardue the Traveler

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to New 0mega
The Air Dog should have taken the water out of the fuel, unless the Water separator was never changed, emptied or there was so much water in the fuel that it over whelmed the Air Dog. Did the WIF sensor on the stock filter detect water?

Smoke!!! Smoke!!!! Are you Smoking yet?
2007.5 Sierra 2500HD SLE 6.6L Duramax Extended Cab Long Box Z71 Fass 150/95, Rare Parts G2 hd tie rods, EFi Live, DSP5 a tune from Duramaxtuner.com, MBRP 4" Downpipe back, Edge CTS Insight, Cognito Idler/Pitman Arm Braces, PPE Deep Transmission pan, deep pan filter, Transgo Jr kit
Canadian Club member #2 https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...light=Canadian
Singles Club member #250
https://thedieselgarage.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=23125&dateline=124580  0528
For those whom are looking at a Duramax check this thread out.https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...ad.php?t=92868
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New 0mega View Post
The Air Dog should have taken the water out of the fuel, unless the Water separator was never changed, emptied or there was so much water in the fuel that it over whelmed the Air Dog. Did the WIF sensor on the stock filter detect water?
The filters on the air dog were only a couple of weeks old and if I remember right the stock had around 60% on the evic. I also ask the dealer why the light never came on and if the other truck in for the same if the light came on. He didn't know why and the same for the other truck. They showed my a container with the water in the fuel. I'm positive on what happened. I posted the scenario to find out what conclusions others would have by reading it. To find out if others have had complete system failures for no apparent reason meaning good fuel and maintained. Its my guess the answer is no

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode