The Diesel Garage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestone Ride-rite front shocks w/ air?

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  JoeyD 
#1 ·
Anyone run the front air shocks with the rear airbag system?

I think I'm gonna do the rear bags soon. I see they make a Bilstein shock that takes air that you can get with the Ride-rite kit. Does it make sense if the front stock shocks are junk to use these?

I can't help thinking that they would ride REALLY stiff with just a little air in them up front? :shrug:

http://www.fsip.com/riderite/applications/vehiclesearch/chevrolet.shtml#

#2 ·
Duke said:
Anyone run the front air shocks with the rear airbag system?

I think I'm gonna do the rear bags soon. I see they make a Bilstein shock that takes air that you can get with the Ride-rite kit. Does it make sense if the front stock shocks are junk to use these?

I can't help thinking that they would ride REALLY stiff with just a little air in them up front? :shrug:

http://www.fsip.com/riderite/applications/vehiclesearch/chevrolet.shtml#

Man you are good at digging stuff up. I have never seen that front air over before but , I'm very interessted .I'd run new Bils , factory shocks are lowest bidder.
I have very favourable experience with replacing coil overs with the air float shocks on my Artic cats sleds and they perform flawlessly . I've had to run smaller swaybars in the sleds to get the right roll in in corners .

#4 ·
JoeyD said:
There is a guy on the place that has them. He says the ride is good and it gives 2in of lift if you want it to. Bilstien makes a great product so I would say they should last as well as they look

.http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164129
I can't help but think they're like an air shock, they rode like crap on the back of vehicles I rode in that had them. Maybe these are different.

I know I want to do the back, but I figure if I buy the compressor & switch panel to do the front AND back, I could add the fronts later.

#5 ·
Duke said:
I can't help but think they're like an air shock, they rode like crap on the back of vehicles I rode in that had them. Maybe these are different.

I know I want to do the back, but I figure if I buy the compressor & switch panel to do the front AND back, I could add the fronts later.
I want to agree but then again maybe these work better as it is combined with the bilstien shock. I would like to see one cut apart to see how they work.

#7 ·
Duke said:
They'd be the cat's .... for plowing snow, wouldn't they?
Perfect for a snow plow. The more I think of it though how can they lift the front end and be a mono tube gas shock? Maybe if you take a few turns out of the t bars and then aired up to where it was they would ride good.

#8 ·
#9 ·
The thread I linked to says 10-50psi they ride better, over that they are stiffer than stock.
Why are you looking at these Duke? Plowing or just a little lift and better ride?

#10 ·
JoeyD said:
The thread I linked to says 10-50psi they ride better, over that they are stiffer than stock.
Why are you looking at these Duke? Plowing or just a little lift and better ride?
I really want them on the back, but I figured what the heck, maybe I could get rid of the crappy stock front shocks and get another 1-2" at the same time. If I'm gonna have the compressor & tank for the rear bags, might as well do the front.:shrug: Kinda expansive though...$600 would go a long way towards a small front lift & new shocks.

I would like to ride in a truck with them before I decide, too.

#11 ·
In all honesty I would skip them if lifting the truck is what your looking for.
I would just go with a 4in lift and run 285 tires. Do the add a leaf in the rear for the added capacity. The add a leaf will not kill the ride I think as your adding a constant load vs loading an empty truck bed once in a while. In the end it's a truck that will still ride good.
Like I said I went with a full length add a leaf and ride is not much if any different from stock. I just did a small concrete pad last week and had my small mixer, 10 cinder blocks and 20 80lb bags of concrete and it made the truck sag about 2in maybe. I had all the concrete loaded behind the rear tires and up against the tailgate so it made the rear squat more than spreading it out near the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.