I may have made a $60K mistake! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Stone Man, this thread has received 26 replies and been viewed 2787 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

I may have made a $60K mistake!

I have owned fords all my life. It was time for new trucks as my 2000 V-10 4x4 has 200k miles on it. Decided to switch to Chevys and bought three new ones. One 3500 4x4 with a gas engine; one 2500 4x4 with a gas engine and my own personal truck - 3500 4x4 Duramax, leather, etc,etc. Outfitted with service body, lift gate and plow. They delivered the truck to my shop and I made it 10 miles before it overheated and left me stranded for 4 hrs on the side of the road. The dealer cannot figure out why it is overheating and told me they would deliver the plow to my house off the truck. RIGHT! They also said I was driving too fast with the plow on and it is causing the overheating. "So I cannot drive on the freeway or bring my plow to be serviced in the summer????"

I waited 6 months to get this truck and now I will not even accept it untill they figure it out - which I am doubtfull they will. I have put $20K down and signed all the paperwork but I don't have the truck and at this point don't want it. Oh, yea, it is already lettered with my company name on it and Rhino lined bed.

Now what? Any ideas?
Stone Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:33 AM

Sounds to me like a crappy dealer. If they can't get it figured out for you ask them to buy it back. There is a 1800 number to call GM directly and start a formal complaint. If anything at least you will get a case # and have everything documented. I have called the 800 number in the past and you would really be suprised how the dealer suddenly changes their tune. I'll look for the # but it should be in your owners manual, if you have the truck.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:35 AM

http://autopedia.com/html/ChevyCSI.html

Here you go, just follow the instructions. It sounds like you are ready for step 2.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:47 AM
fordt

Is the truck brand new?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 12:48 PM
BUG JUICER and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Man
Any ideas?
Please post some pics of the front end.

How loud was your fan when it overheated?

Michael
Vehicle Systems Engineer/Professional Tuner
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

Learn about INDUCTION OVERHEATING

ECM's FOR SALE
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I actually don't have the truck. It overheated 20 minutes after I got it and I returned it to the dealer. It is brand new. The salesman just got off the phone with me and they are now trying to find a shorter blade for the plow. I talked with Meyer (plow mfg) and they said they run a Duramax with a plow that is on almost all year long and have not had any problems. I am afraid that once I take delivery for good I am stuck. Sucks. I have been waiting so long for this truck that now I don't even want it! Supposedly the GM engineers said there have not been problems before. If that is true then could there be something wrong with this particular truck? They said the temp at the grill is 68 without the plow and shoots to 140 with it. Water temp shot to 265 and that's when I pulled over. Was 210 before. I haven't driven it enough to even know what is normal.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 05:54 PM
BUG JUICER and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Man
They said the temp at the grill is 68 without the plow and shoots to 140 with it. Water temp shot to 265 and that's when I pulled over.
I have heard this before. Recirculation of fan air. No ambient is getting through the cooling stack with some plows.

I doubt there is anything wrong with your truck, if the fan can be heard to run as it gets hot. You may have better luck with a different (smaller) plow.

Michael
Vehicle Systems Engineer/Professional Tuner
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

Learn about INDUCTION OVERHEATING

ECM's FOR SALE
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:45 PM

I have heard of this on some fords. Turned out Ford would not fix the vehicle since the truck did not have the snow plow prep package, once the owner removed the snow plow, the truck ran fine. Dont ask me what a snow plow prep package consists, of but the removal of the blade solved the issue.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:47 PM

For plow pkg equipped trucks, Ford has a TSB which replaces the fan clutch to cure cooling issues. The airflow from the plow was spinning the fan backwards (when the clutch was disengaged) causing the fan to cycle excessively.

As far as the GM issue, I can't help, but gotta ask why anyone would put a plow on a vehicle with IFS? :

07-6.0 4X4 CC Lariat Tow Boss w/36,000 trouble free miles.
CCV-Zoodad-Harpooned, cat delete, otherwise
BONE STOCK
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:27 PM

agree sounds like a crappy dealer, i can vouch though if you raidse the plow all the way up it may overheat it at free way speeds, either try to lower it jsut off the ground or tilt it , if you werent climbing a mounting or towing shoudl have overheated much thoguh

1996 Gmc k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel, with mods Blew the head gasket, put all new heads, valves, injecotrs gaskets etc on the truck only to get it together and find out it had no oil pressure, and sounded horrible (pry a spun bearing). SOLD
2007 chevrolet 2500hd Duramax loaded. GM LEMON BUYBACK
2007 Chevrolet LBZ 1 ton crew cab 8ft box
on star, xm, tow mirrors, 145 amp alt,
#23 Singles Club
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode