Dealer no help LBZ smoking oddly - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by germantoy, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 1271 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Dealer no help LBZ smoking oddly

OK, my truck has always smoked black intermittently at idle since i bought it with 20k on it. Doesnt smoke when on it. Now i dont know if im seeing **** or im worrying but now that its colder out i saw something that concerned me blueish smoke!

Now this smoke only occurs on a dead cold start in the morning and its about 3 -5 minutes after ive started it and let it idle then it goes away. The truck still has its cat etc so im getting a little concerned.

Ok, now for maintenence the owner before me was super anal and did the fuel filter with every oil change every 5k to be exact (have dealer paper work to prove)

Now for the dealer pissing me off... I have told them since ive had the truck that i believe something is leaking right infront of the silicone charge pipe ontop of the intake manifold because ive cleaned the silicone charge pipe connector numerous times and it always ends up covered with **** again. Its frustrating me.

I smell a little exhaust in cab and my fuel mileage is down so something is up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 11:59 AM
fordt

I am not sure how much blue smoke you are seeing, but my truck will smoke a little at idle after startup.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 12:10 PM

1) I always heard LBZs smoked a little more than LB7/LLYs on cold startup. May be in the programming GM used to get the 360hp. IMO, its normal.

2) Could be that your area had already switched to winter fuel. That could explain the smell change and fuel mileage drop.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 01:31 PM
fordt

Good call Tom, I got a solid 20mpg coming to Merchants in the spring, I got 17mpg the other day, same trip, nothing changed except for the winter blend fuel.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac
1) I always heard LBZs smoked a little more than LB7/LLYs on cold startup. May be in the programming GM used to get the 360hp. IMO, its normal.

2) Could be that your area had already switched to winter fuel. That could explain the smell change and fuel mileage drop.

ya im betting they did switch over to winter fuel im in new england. i gotta figure out waht that pipe/vavle is im wondering if its pcv or egr stuff thats leaking.

and thanks everyone!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 03:15 PM
fordt

That's oil coming from the PCV.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantoy
ya im betting they did switch over to winter fuel im in new england. i gotta figure out waht that pipe/vavle is im wondering if its pcv or egr stuff thats leaking.

and thanks everyone!
More than likely its exhaust soot coming from the EGR system. THAT is something I'd have the dealer check out.....make sure the EGR system is working properly.

If you get a second, maybe post a pic of what you're worried about.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 07:04 PM
fordt

Is it oily, or sooty?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

its more oily than soot the last time i looked ill get a pic for you guys
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Supporting Vendor

Thats going to be pretty normal unfortunatly. The PCV setup is the biggest culprit of that. Take the pipes and boots off and give them a good cleaning, then re-route the pcv so that is vents to the atmosphere ( another tactic at overcoming emissions ) and you should find less oil build up. Its not really going to hurt anything, but I would rather not have all that in there myself.

Eric Merchant
www.Merchant-Automotive.com
Zeeland, MI
1-866-399-7169
ASE/GM Master Certified
AC Delco Independent Repair Center
Authorized Suncoast dealer/installer
State of Michigan Licensed Repair Facility
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode