DAM YOU T-STAT??? help with wierd coolant temps - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by germantoy, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 2740 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

DAM YOU T-STAT??? help with wierd coolant temps

Ok my truck is doing some wierd ****.
Its a 06 lbz gmc and it has 40k on it.
The temp gauge in the dash started fluctuating the other day it never usually goes above the 180? mark (the next mark up from 160) . I was towing so i considered it normal even though its never happened before.

So i unhook the trailer and go out for a bit and again the temp gauge is reading in the 12 o clock position with no load in the bed and trailer unhooked it will go from the 180 mark then to 12 oclock then back down then up again then back etc etc. So I check the coolant level its perfect check coolant color again perfect.

I then realized i can monitor coolant temp through my six gun so i put that on the gauge will read in the 12 o clock position but the six gun will show a temp at 180-186 max this on the highway with 38-50 degree ambient temps.

I dont know where the hell to start because normally if its a tstat it gets stuck open not shut??? Could it be the sender?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 11:37 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantoy
Ok my truck is doing some wierd ****.
Its a 06 lbz gmc and it has 40k on it.
The temp gauge in the dash started fluctuating the other day it never usually goes above the 180? mark (the next mark up from 160) . I was towing so i considered it normal even though its never happened before.

So i unhook the trailer and go out for a bit and again the temp gauge is reading in the 12 o clock position with no load in the bed and trailer unhooked it will go from the 180 mark then to 12 oclock then back down then up again then back etc etc. So I check the coolant level its perfect check coolant color again perfect.

I then realized i can monitor coolant temp through my six gun so i put that on the gauge will read in the 12 o clock position but the six gun will show a temp at 180-186 max this on the highway with 38-50 degree ambient temps.

I dont know where the hell to start because normally if its a tstat it gets stuck open not shut??? Could it be the sender?
Are you still under warranty?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Unfortunately im over my warranty so the dealer said since the truck has 40k on it
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 12:49 PM
BUG JUICER and

It is normal. The needle is fairly sensitive in a narrow ECT range from 170-190. There is a 5 degree segment where the needle will move more than it should. You are just straddling that area.

Michael
Vehicle Systems Engineer/Professional Tuner
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

Learn about INDUCTION OVERHEATING

ECM's FOR SALE
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Is it strange that this is happening now with 30-40F degree temps outside?? What can I do to remedy this?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

also my gauge will read a couple ticks over 160 but yet the coolant temp from my gauge will be reading 120-140 this is from a cold start to warm up.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:46 PM
BUG JUICER and

It happens when cold because your thermostat is staying closed most of the time, as it was designed to do. When it cracks, there is a cold surge, due to the radiator being supercooled in that time. You are watching the stat open and close. It is not a bad thing, but admittedly GM should have deadened the gauge in that range.

Michael
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

ECM's FOR SALE
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Bee as always you have been super helpful yourr a gentleman and a scholar thanks
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 03:15 PM
BUG JUICER and

There is something you can do. If you drill a 1/16" hole in one of the thermostat flanges, you will keep a slight amount of coolant moving through the radiator. That would reduce the cold surge when the stat cracks open.

If you had the scan gauge you could see the actual ECT that is causing the oem gauge swing, it would likely be reading between 175-180 IIRC. It is an odd latency that a lot of manufacturers fix by designing a small bypass hole into the thermostat.

Be careful not to drill a larger hole, because then you will run cold.

The other solution is to don a winter front.

Michael
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

ECM's FOR SALE
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ya i just thought it was odd that it was running the warmest ive seen it, in the coldest season that ive owned it (bought in june)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode