P045 code help - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by wastedwagesracing, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1974 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

P045 code help

We have a 06 service truck that has been in the shop for 10 days and the dealer can not figure out what is wrong. It gets a P045 code. Clear the code and it comes right back on. I don't have a lot of info from the dealer. The Service
Manager is obviously very frustrated with this thing. I could not get much info from him. But I know GM told him to replace the computer and that would take care of the issue. Well it did not. This code has to do with the turbo. Little history this truck has a history of dead pedal. It will run fine then occasionally when you stop it takes of like a turd and will only go 25 mph. It's had two turbos in the last year. Truck has about 48,000 miles. Sorry I don't have more detail but I did not want to be a pest with the questions to the Service Manager especially today. The last thing he told me was GM needs to send him some help.
So do any of you guys have any ideas. I know it a tough question with the lack of info I have.

Thanks Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 10:07 PM

There are some digits missing, maybe you can get the exact code from the guy. Here's the general area:

P0450** Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Malfunction
P0451** Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Range/Performance
P0452** Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input
P0453** Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor High Input
P0454** Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Intermittent
P0455** Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

let me do some more checking...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Threadstarter

Crap, I know he said the code has to do with the turbo veins (SP??) if that helps.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 10:23 PM

All of the P045*** codes relate to the Evaporative emissions control system which is making sure the fuel system is airtight. Here is the procedure they would follow on an '02 duramax, pretty much the same fuel delivery system. If you go to PPE's website you can download the xcelerator manual that has all of the DTC's in it. Here is some evap system info for ya.

EVAP System - Monitor Strategy

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 00-06-04-011A

Date: October, 2001

INFORMATION

Subject:
Evaporative Emissions DTC P0440, P0441, P0442, P0446

Models:
1996-2002 Passenger Cars and Trucks
With Enhanced Evaporative Emissions Engines
Except 1998-1999 Chevrolet Prizm

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and diagnostic enhancements.

Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-06-04-011 (Section 6-Engine).

Enhanced Evaporative Emissions testing of 1996 and newer vehicles with enhanced evaporative emissions requires more stringent testing of the fuel system for evaporative emissions leaks. Vehicles with this system use an on-board diagnostic module (i.e. Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Vehicle Control Module (VCM) as the controller. For the balance of this bulletin, we will refer to either of these components as a module.

Enhanced Evaporative Emission tests may be performed by the vehicle's module when specific conditions are met. These conditions are determined by the calibration within the module. These calibrations are vehicle platform and engine family specific. When the key is turned to the start or run position, the module checks the output of various sensors on the vehicle to determine when and if the Evaporative Emissions tests should be run. Refer to Engine Controls sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual for specific DTC information.

Some of the most widely used parameters are listed below:

1. The Barometric Pressure (BARO) is greater than a specified kPa (psi).

2. The system voltage is between 10 and 18 volts.

3. The intake air temperature (IAT) is within specified temperature values.

4. The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is within specified temperature values.

5. The ECT and IAT are within specified temperatures of each other when the vehicle engine was started.

6. The fuel level sensor indicates the fuel level is greater than a specified % of empty and less than a specified % of full. (For a 76 L (20 gal) fuel tank, a fuel level of more than 11 L (3 gal) but less than 64 L (17 gal) or as specified in the calibration).

7. Some platforms such as the Alero and Grand Am, use a miles driven check as well.

For the ECT and IAT to be within the specified temperatures of each other at the time of engine start-up, the engine will have to be in the non-running condition for a long enough period of time for the engine coolant temperature to drop from its normal operating temperature down to roughly 30C (90F). This could take several hours.

When the control module determines that the above conditions are met, the module tests for a leak in the EVAP system by:

^ Electrically closing the vent valve in order to seal the system.

^ Electrically opening the purge valve which allows the running engine to draw a vacuum on the fuel tank.

^ The module then closes the purge valve, resealing the system.

^ The module then monitors the fuel tank pressure sensor and determines:

- If vacuum was achieved.

- If a leak is present, how large the leak is.

- If vacuum was not achieved.

^ If one of the above tests fails, the module remembers that the system failed the test.

^ If the module sees a failure of the EVAP test for two consecutive tests, the module will set a trouble code for EVAP leak (DTCs P0440, P0442, or P0446).

Important : If the PCM is completing the EVAP diagnostic, filling of the fuel tank cannot be completed as the vent valve will be closed and the fuel dispenser nozzle will sense the pressure build-up and shut down. This is the expected result. No parts should be replaced as nothing is faulty To keep from encountering this situation, it is imperative all customers and dealership personnel be advised NOT TO FILL THE FUEL TANK WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. If the condition is encountered, turn the ignition to the OFF position for a minute. This will allow the PGM to go to sleep completely, thereby opening the vent valve.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 PM

here ya go, dtc's for your engine. http://www.pacificp.com/pdf/manuals/...stallGuide.pdf

Request a copy of the comments the tech makes in the database for your own records. If the dealer won't provide this to you you can call GM and request a vin check and they will send it to you. Then post it here and we'll try and help. But a "dead pedal" could be attributed to a screwy fuel delivery system, maybe. Hopefully some more people will be along and help you out.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Threadstarter

OK We got the truck back today. Supposedly they found a wire occasionally shorting to ground for the PMC. I have my doubts. I think they finally just got lucky and when they reset the code this time it did not set again. Time will tell.
As I was questioning the Service Manager. Where was the wire? What color was it? In what harness? His only answer was I'm not sure the Tech did not say. Where is the Tech? He's is not in today. Smells like a hose job to me. I asked him what the code was again and he said a P045 :shrug:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 02:53 PM

Is there another GM dealer in your area? Even a caddy or pontiac dealership should have someone that could look at your truck. Or take it to your nearest Hummer dealer, they have dmax trained techs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode