Looking to buy/ What to look for ? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by parsons913, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 852 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Looking to buy/ What to look for ?

I'm going to look at a 2006 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually this weekend. I need to know what to look for. I'm confused about what motor is in it (LBZ,LLY,?). I'm new to the Duramax scene so any help would be nice. All I know about it as of now is it has 148K on it. Should I be worried about the trans ? If I do end up with it what are the mods ya'll recommend ( exhaust, intake, programmer,etc..) I will do it in stages as money permits. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 01:49 AM
resident mason

06 is the lbz. 150K miles I'd check all the fluids for color/smell. Are there any service records? Are they hiway miles? Take it to a competant mechanic if in doubt. As for mods a small chip, exaust, and intake are good, but don't get to rough with 150k on tranny as it may have 50K miles left in it or maybe only 1. Also check body panels and general condition.

06 Sierra 2500 4wd lb. Predator, S&B, MBRP duals-no cat, Quadzilla gauges, Allison Jr., Riderite air bags, PPE Tie rod sleeves, egr plate / finger stick. 02 Chevy 3500 8.1L 4wd dump 9' Fisher mm2, sander. 03 Kubota L4630. 80'S or 90's Komatsu pc50. 89 d250 5.9 which may someday go into something.:
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:00 AM

Look at the 8th digit on the VIN. The 06 LLY will be a "2". The LBZ will be a "D".

They are the same engines, just different programming. The early LLY/LBZs had an issue with the glow plug controller. Otherwise, that version of the Dmax has been pretty good, with no other big issues.

I'd take the VIN to a GM dealer and ask them to run a Service history on it. That will give you an idea of whats been done to it.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac
Look at the 8th digit on the VIN. The 06 LLY will be a "2". The LBZ will be a "D".

They are the same engines, just different programming. The early LLY/LBZs had an issue with the glow plug controller. Otherwise, that version of the Dmax has been pretty good, with no other big issues.

I'd take the VIN to a GM dealer and ask them to run a Service history on it. That will give you an idea of whats been done to it.
im looking at an 06 which has a 2 in the 8th digit. The truck has the regular Duramax Diesel emblem. not the one that says Allison Transmission. is this a bad engine to buy? i think the build date is 08/05.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 01:43 AM

A 2006 LLY is an LBZ in sheep's clothing. Its a very good engine, just as all the Dmax's are.

Just do your due-dilligence and get the service history of the truck before you buy. That way you can see if anything is amiss. Ask the service dept if any recalls and/or TSB's have to be done to the truck.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 01:57 AM

ya one is an 06 with glow plug update (fix?), taillight replaced, door hinges replaced. thats whats under the report that my dealer got me. Another is an 07 LBZ same truck with about 2 less features and its a demo truck. 20,000 miles and they want 38,000 for it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thanks for the info. They list the VIN on thier web site and it has a "D" in the 8th digit. I'll know the looks and everything saturday. From pics it does have a goose neck hitch in it so I'm pretty sure it's towed something decent size. The cool thing is it has manual windows and locks ( which is what I'm looking for. Again thanks for the info. I'll let you know what happens this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode