Questions on Bolt on Mods - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Jettech, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 646 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Questions on Bolt on Mods

Guys I have a couple 6.6 duramax work trucks that are costing me too much money in fuel. My guys are putting around 100 miles a day on these trucks. Fuel is $4.10 here in Nashville, which is killing me by the end of the month. So I need some info on bolt on mods to help with fuel milage and pulling. Let me know what has worked or has not worked for you. Also give me your opinion on a K&N filter for diesel engines. Thanks
Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 04:16 AM

well unfornunately, the biggest influence on fuel mileage is the right foot, and secondly by eccessive idle time. If u want better mileage i would avoid selectable tuners unless the drivers somehow do not have access to change power levels. while most tuners seem to provide the best gains (fuel mileage) in the higher power settings at light acceleration, the added power and excitement about it usually has an adverse effect.

As with any oiled air cleaner care must be taken not to use too much oil, which can lead to MAF sensor failure.

losing the kitty and installing bigger free flowing exhaust can have desirable effects, provided you don't live in an area with emissions inspection requirements.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 11:35 AM

Do they tow trailers?
Are the trucks loaded with tools?
What kind of driving do they do (highway, in town, etc)
Do they let the trucks sit and idle for long periods of time?

Need to know how the trucks are used to figure if anything can be done to help. Biggest issue is how they are driven.

I personally would not run a K&N filter. SPICER's filter study convinced me of that.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac
Do they tow trailers?
Are the trucks loaded with tools?
What kind of driving do they do (highway, in town, etc)
Do they let the trucks sit and idle for long periods of time?

Need to know how the trucks are used to figure if anything can be done to help. Biggest issue is how they are driven.

I personally would not run a K&N filter. SPICER's filter study convinced me of that.
All the trucks are loaded with:
500lbs tools and misc.
100 Gallon water tank
1500lbs hydraulic equipment
The milage is usually highway, to and from job site and there are some days when the truck will idle for 6 hours at a time. The trucks don't pull trailers very much. Once in awhile.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:01 AM

Sorry not really bolt-on

EFI-LIVE sounds like it might be a decent solution for you. Depending on how comfortable you would be trying to have any warranty work done. There are some gray areas there.
I'm not sure if you've heard of efi-live before, it is a handheld device that you use in conjunction with a laptop to tune reflash or reprogram your ecm on your vehicle (also can change your TCM trans shift points and stuff). It's almost infinitely adjustable and works on the 6.6L Duramax and many other different gm vehicles.
I think the cost is 750. They use a license system and each vehicle will need one license to tune the ecm and tcm.
The V2 (name of the device) comes with 2 licenses already. Any extra's you would need would cost ya a 100 a piece. If a guy had a small fleet going this might work out pretty good.
Search around. Maybe check out the diesel place forum (duramax site) lots of efi-live info over there. Also check out there home page of course.
There are alot of possibilities with efi-live. I think you'd be interested in getting some milage tunes installed and maybe implementing your own top speed limiter for your driver's 70MPH?

And lets not forget the plain old fun factor for your personal rig :Thumbup:

I too have heard negative comments about oiled filters on our trucks. The new thing is the dry filters. After they get dirty you remove them and tap them to dislodge large contaminants and then to get them even cleaner you would use compressed air to blow them out from the inside (cleanside)

edit: I was also going to say that to protect your injectors I would also get some extra fuel filtration for your trucks. Stock filtration is pretty good, but I don't think anyone on this board will argue that more filtration is not a bad idea. Having the new filter in a more accessable location doesn't hurt either.

05' 2500 CTD 4X4 QC LB SLT 6" lift 35x12.5x18" Toyo's, edge j/a, airdog 150 and jeep liberty canister mod, magnaflow turboback 5" to 4" duals, banks techni-cooler, airaid, dipricol mech. fuel press. in a-pillar mount
07.5 2500 LMM 4X4 CC SB LTZ 10-12" lift 37x13.5x22" Toyo's, efi-live, magnaflow 5" turboback

04'trx450,04'dvx400, 06'trx250, 06'predator90 ,05'ktm525mxc
05' Fleetwood Gearbox 335FS rev red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode