GM Brakes...Yea i know, they suck..! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Steakman, this thread has received 18 replies and been viewed 2812 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question GM Brakes...Yea i know, they suck..!

I have had my truck for 2 years now..in that time I have put 2 sets of rotors and 4 sets of pads..all on the front. The back looks hardly used at all..although i do think I am about ready for a new set of pads. You can see my mileage in my sig. I drive mainly Hwy (95%), and do 'bout 60k annually. Other than an over-the-bed toolbox with a bunch of tools etc and 20-25 Gallons of extra Diesel, the truck is MT.

I recently bought a set of the slotted/drilled rotors and a set of metalic pads..I have been told that these products will reduce the overall temperatures on the rotors and also allow the heat to dissipate more rapidly thereby increasing service life.

What say you guys on that one..?? ( I mean, I guess I'll find out...but I would be interested if some of you have done similar and what might I expect.?)

thanx,

stk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 03:59 AM

I have absolutely no issues with my brakes at all. When I had towed my 28' TT, that weighed 7k dry, I had to replace my front pads at about 55k. Since I have sold it I haven't had the need to replace any pads or rotors yet and I'm at 109k now. When I did the front brakes I took the rotors in to be turned and the machinist said they were flat, no need to turn 'em. He also said he like the GM rotors for the amount of material they have, he could turn 'em more than 50x if they weren't abused. I just have a hard time understanding how you could have gone through two sets of rotors?? Do you do the work yourself?

If you are that hard on your service brakes maybe you should look into a pacbrake? I don't think the slotted/drilled rotors will buy me much as far as brake life goes.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 08:20 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to DmaxJake
It could be just defective set, figure the amount of brakes that come off the line. There is bound to be a bad set or two. As far as getting more then one set of bad ones, it's possible. I purchased two brand new fuel pumps for and old truck of mine in a row and resorted to a dealer to fix the problem which turned out to be the fuel pump. The bill went from being 300 to 800 bucks. Quite frustrating. If I were you I would do the same thing though, I would look at some sort of brake upgrade now that the warranty is out.

07 Classic Duramax LBZ
-EFI Live by [email protected],PPE fuel valve shim kit, Banks Gauges, Intercooler, Bully Dog Shift enhancer, Airaid Intake, Diamond Eye 5" straight pipe, [COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Red"]Snow Performance stage II

410hp/767Lb-ft @ fall brawl 2009
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 12:30 PM
'Ol Builder guy

No brake issues with me after 35,000 miles. Mine are fine.

They do push down closer to the floor than my previous Fords, which took a little while to get used to.

I'd love to do a pacbrake, but the warranty issues scare me too much.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:37 AM
Gone Fishin...

Send a message via AIM to merlin5577 Send a message via Yahoo to merlin5577
I have 95K on my original brakes and they still work great. I checked the pads at 90K and they where at 50%. No complaints at all here.

-Robert.

My Fleet;

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 2.0L 6A
2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT 2.4L 6A
2003 Chevrolet Silverado LS 6.6L 5A
1997 GMC Suburban SLT 5.7L 4A

TDG MAFIA
Quote:
If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.
Thinking of buying a Duramax? You need to click this link;

Reading material

I am an old Fart;

Toot-Toot

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
I had my previous set of rotors turned and they were toast within 35k. (One of the pads disintegrated and I had no choice but to drive some 200 miles with the rotors being chewed up). Gotta keep in mind I drive in Northern Ontario where you can go 250-300 miles without a trace of human inhabitation..let alone a garage.! Literally tons of salt and mixed pea gravel/sand on the roads in the winter..so life is hard on equipment up here. This latest set has gone 20,000 miles since they were put on...I have the slotted rotors/pads sitting in my garage for when I need em..gonna see how long the current set lasts.

One thing I have been doing lately is using my tow/haul button when the need arises to brake going downhill...works like a charm..and definitely eases up on the brake usage. I see no issue doing it either. Its an Allison.!

cheers,

stk

Last edited by Steakman; 06-20-2009 at 05:47 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 02:00 PM
'Ol Builder guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakman View Post
I had my previous set of rotors turned and they were toast within 35k. (One of the pads disintegrated and I had no choice but to drive some 200 miles with the rotors being chewed up). Gotta keep in mind I drive in Northern Ontario where you can go 250-300 miles without a trace of human inhabitation..let alone a garage.! Literally tons of salt and mixed pea gravel/sand on the roads in the winter..so life is hard on equipment up here. This latest set has gone 20,000 miles since they were put on...I have the slotted rotors/pads sitting in my garage for when I need em..gonna see how long the current set lasts.

One thing I have been doing lately is using my tow/haul button when the need arises to brake going downhill...works like a charm..and definitely eases up on the brake usage. I see no issue doing it either. Its an Allison.!

cheers,

stk
Then how can you blame GM for having brakes that suck if you have all those harsh conditions and you drove all those miles on a bad set of pads? That doesn't make your failed brakes GM's fault, my friend.

I use tow/haul on almost every braking situation, too. I love it, too. However, the owners manual suggests you only use it only while towing and that you can expect less than satisfactory performance with tow haul "on" while not towing anything.

What I do now is switch to manual mode and toggle the gears myself. It's great and the Ford boys are jealous of it, too.

Last edited by Duke; 06-20-2009 at 02:11 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 11:40 PM

I would say the oposite, the GM brakes are the best they have ever been. I have almost 85k on my van and they are just about to be replaced. They would have lasted longer I bet but I do a lot of city driving and stop at the last second.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Well. Then I certainly have an isue with mine. One that is going to get looked at this weekend. Plan to take all the calipers apart, clean - lube etc with a complete fluid change .. the works...I will admit to having let other mechanics work on that part of the truck...time I learned and got on to it myself.! dont know why, but I never learned how to do disc brakes. and everyone I know tells me they are easy...dont ask why, I dont have an answer LOl.!

Gotta say I am buoyed by all the positives from you guys..!! tells me I have a real issue with mine and that they definitely need lookin at..!!

Tomorrow...we shall see. If I remember to take my camera, I'll try to get some pics if there is anything really outa whack.

Thanx,

stk
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 03:46 AM
truckn'

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sexytrkr
one of the company trucks at work had almost 300k on it before they replaced the pads...but they do ALOT of highway driving and when they pull a trailer they set the power up on the brake controller.

Mine has almost 80k on it, i bought it with 61k and checked the pads when i got it...they looked brand new. Let us know what you find and goodluck. Disks are easier then drums

2014 T800W 600hpISX15 18spd yanking a 2003 XL specialized 110HD with the cheater neck.

93 peterbilt 379ex hood. 3046B 18spd (in time out, broken crankshaft)

Lonestar Diesel club #9

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode