HELP with 2006 Duramax - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by btr12001, this thread has received 18 replies and been viewed 3621 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

HELP with 2006 Duramax

Hi, I am a first time diesel owner and just purchased a used Silverado 2500 HD with Duramax and Alison transmissioin. I took it out last Friday with my boat and it broke down at the gas pump. I turned off the truck to refuel and when I went to start it it took a few attempts to start and then died as I put it in park. It had no problems turning over but semed to not be getting fuel. Long story short, I got it to the dealer but am waiting for the diagnosis. any ideas on what may be the problem and if it's covered under the powertrain warranty or any other warranties? I fell in love with this truck the first time I hooked my boat up to it but I'm feeling a little cold after it stranded me. Any help, suggestions or condolences are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 08:58 PM
truckn'

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sexytrkr
this might be a dumb question, but i'll ask anyways...did you put gasoline in it?

2014 T800W 600hpISX15 18spd yanking a 2003 XL specialized 110HD with the cheater neck.

93 peterbilt 379ex hood. 3046B 18spd (in time out, broken crankshaft)

Lonestar Diesel club #9

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:05 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to DmaxJake
Crank Position Sensor or Cam Position Sensor, Did you try priming the fuel filter to see if there was fuel to that point? No engine light?

07 Classic Duramax LBZ
-EFI Live by [email protected],PPE fuel valve shim kit, Banks Gauges, Intercooler, Bully Dog Shift enhancer, Airaid Intake, Diamond Eye 5" straight pipe, [COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Red"]Snow Performance stage II

410hp/767Lb-ft @ fall brawl 2009
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Not a dumb question at all, I did in fact put diesel in the tank and not gasoline.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I did not prime the feul filter at all and there were no engine lights other than battery after cranking several attempts. Would it be the fuel injector pump or fuel pump? I am hoping that whatever it is is covered under the warranty.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 10:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by btr12001 View Post
I did not prime the feul filter at all and there were no engine lights other than battery after cranking several attempts. Would it be the fuel injector pump or fuel pump? I am hoping that whatever it is is covered under the warranty.
As far as I know it will still run with a bad injector but there is no reason to rule out a bad CP3 or injector out at this point I would say. Both are covered up to 100k or Five years.

07 Classic Duramax LBZ
-EFI Live by [email protected],PPE fuel valve shim kit, Banks Gauges, Intercooler, Bully Dog Shift enhancer, Airaid Intake, Diamond Eye 5" straight pipe, [COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Red"]Snow Performance stage II

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

okay, thanks. How about the fuel injector pump? I am not sure what your refering to with "CP3"? I cannot find out any info on what is covered with the 100k powertrain warranty either. Do you have any info on that by chance?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 12:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by btr12001 View Post
okay, thanks. How about the fuel injector pump? I am not sure what your refering to with "CP3"? I cannot find out any info on what is covered with the 100k powertrain warranty either. Do you have any info on that by chance?
The duramax engines have a common rail fuel system which mean all the injectors are fed by a commom rail. The CP3 on a common rail is technically the injector pump. The cp3 is responsible for maintaining the rail pressure so if it failed there would be no fuel to the injectors. The engine has a five year 100k warrenty so if anything a happens to it GM will fix it as long as they don't see any signs of "abuse" such as a programmer.

07 Classic Duramax LBZ

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 08:46 PM

Garage
Ok...lets go back to what happened at the pump.

1: Did all the dash lights, DIC, Door Chime etc come on as normal..? ( you did mention only "battery" light - pls explain more deeply)
2: Did Engine turn over..?
3: Do you know when was the last time the Fuel filter was changed..?
4: Suggest you put up a Signature file: Yr, make,model, miles, mods etc on your vehicle..it will help all here to help you. ( look in the USERS CP for that)

If one and two are a go...then for sure it is lack of fuel to the rail or air entrained into the fuel stream. That can be caused by a number of things. Its too bad you dont have the truck with you to check. First thing I would likely have done is to check the bleed screw on the top of the fuel filter to see if it is loose..if it was, you might have gotten air into the system and no amount of cranking will start it...if it was tight, then I'd check to see if the filter itself was loose...ya never know.

Who knows if the previous owner started to use BioD..it has a tendancy to clean up the whole fuel system but in doing so will completely plug up the fuel filter.! its happened..lots.

Was your tank bone dry..in other words did you run it out of fuel..?? (ergo the previous question on Priming the pump)..the fuel filter head assy (where the filter screws onto - Passenger side of engine bay - near back wall), has a large "button" on it...push it down and you will manually feed fuel into the cp3. This is something that needs to be done when you change out your fuel filter...hopefully, something you do on a regular basis. When you change said filter, put new one on..then open bleed screw a bit to allow any air entrapped to escape -prime a bunch of times...when you hear/see fuel coming out of the bleed screw opening..tighten it down. Start motor. Drive away happy cause you bought a D'Max.!!

However if you were driving it and all was good...for it to die right there would lead me to think it was something else in the fuel delivery system...could be your cp3. Hmm now I'm curious to know if these trucks have a stock lift pump (brings the fuel from the tank to the cp3), or if those are strictly add-ons and it's the CP3 that pulls the fuel right from the tank to the injectors..? Anyone.?

Anyways, as you note, it's at the dealer. We 're waiting to hear what the issue was.

Be real curious to know.!!

stk

Last edited by Steakman; 07-29-2009 at 08:58 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:17 AM

Garage
Verrrrrry strange. I posted on this thread .. next day go to start truck, put into reverse to pull out of the driveway, get onto the street....and it dies.! Talk about weird.

opened hood, primed the manual filter pump and away I went...but could'nt help thinking about this thread.! Weird s hit that..!

stk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode