2002 duramax puffing smoke from exhaust and oil filler cap - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by bridre, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 7872 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

2002 duramax puffing smoke from exhaust and oil filler cap

I have a new problem. I have only recently noticed that my truck is smoking from the exhaust at idle and acceleration, and it also blows smoke out of the oil filler cap, enough so, that it will blow the cap of once it has been unscrewed. The smoke is a bluish/grey/purple from the exhaust, and the oil in the motor has been changed several times and is very clean. The oil level seems to stay steady. At first, I figured bad injectors, then pcv valve(but then discovered there were none), so now, I wonder, is it rings, fuel filter(never changed by myself yet). I have changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, and that's it. GM said they changed the injectors, but who really knows? Any ideas on what this problem may be? Any help will be appreciated. I'd like to know what I may be up against here. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridre View Post
I have a new problem. I have only recently noticed that my truck is smoking from the exhaust at idle and acceleration, and it also blows smoke out of the oil filler cap, enough so, that it will blow the cap of once it has been unscrewed. The smoke is a bluish/grey/purple from the exhaust, and the oil in the motor has been changed several times and is very clean. The oil level seems to stay steady. At first, I figured bad injectors, then pcv valve(but then discovered there were none), so now, I wonder, is it rings, fuel filter(never changed by myself yet). I have changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, and that's it. GM said they changed the injectors, but who really knows? Any ideas on what this problem may be? Any help will be appreciated. I'd like to know what I may be up against here. Thanks
Just called another GM service department, they said that the injectors have never been changed by them, and that there are no recalls for my vehicle, ecept for the door cable. Could it be the injectors????
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 02:59 AM
CRAZY CANUCK

Garage
what does the exhaust smell like? is it really sweet like diesel fuel? or does it smell like regular diesel exhaust?

Aaron the Crazy Canuck
2006 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500: LBZ - Allison, Greystone Metallic, 4x4,PPE airbox mod, missing muffler/cat, EFILive tuned by Nick at duramaxtuner, MA tie-rod sleeves and Grade C headgaskets
Totalled!! May 2nd 2008-2005 Dodge Ram 3500 laramie: Cummins auto, plain white, rebuilt tranny
1986 Mercury Capri - 5.0L, AOD, shorty headers, acell ignition, Holly street dominator intake, Holly 625 vacuum secondaries carb, Dual glass packs "my little yellow terror"

DURAMAX INDEX; You want a Duramax? you want to click on this >>The Duramax Index

Canadian Club Member #1
Singles Club member #186
Ridin Dirty Club #5

TDG MAFIA

Check out the NEW and IMPROVED TDG Truck Poll!
TDG TOTQ
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

It smells like regular exhaust, but this is the first diesel I've owned. Usualy, there is only a faint bit of exhaust smoke while the engine is cold, but after driving for a while, it gets darker, and more noticable, to the point where people give me the finger. It seems to be at idle and acceleration only, but maybe I just can't see it once the truck is moving and the wind gets the smoke away. My main concern is the crank case pressure coming from the oil filler cap, because on all gas engines I've ever owned, this is BAD news, and always means a new engine.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 05:06 AM
CRAZY CANUCK

Garage
got me on this one bud, never heard of crank case pressure on these things before

Aaron the Crazy Canuck
2006 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500: LBZ - Allison, Greystone Metallic, 4x4,PPE airbox mod, missing muffler/cat, EFILive tuned by Nick at duramaxtuner, MA tie-rod sleeves and Grade C headgaskets
Totalled!! May 2nd 2008-2005 Dodge Ram 3500 laramie: Cummins auto, plain white, rebuilt tranny
1986 Mercury Capri - 5.0L, AOD, shorty headers, acell ignition, Holly street dominator intake, Holly 625 vacuum secondaries carb, Dual glass packs "my little yellow terror"

DURAMAX INDEX; You want a Duramax? you want to click on this >>The Duramax Index

Canadian Club Member #1
Singles Club member #186
Ridin Dirty Club #5

TDG MAFIA

Check out the NEW and IMPROVED TDG Truck Poll!
TDG TOTQ

Tags
crankcase pressure, exhaust smoke, oil filler, smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode