wont start? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by moose03lb7crew, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 3892 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
wont start?

hi i am new to the forum and new to the diesel engine. i have an 03 2500hd that doesnt start. had the truck for bout half a year and ever since day one ive had issues with the fuel system. if it sat for a couple days i would have to prime it to start it but i didnt mind too much cuz it was rare that it sat that long... then i put bout 10,000 miles on it n it was losin a little power so i replaced the fuel filter couple weeks ago n it was back to normal. well my girlfriend drove it to work last week and she called n said it died. i knew she always ran vehicles low on fuel so i brought a fuel jug just in case but when i got there it had quarter tank so i ended up priming it and it ran fine. the next day she put fuel in it on her way to work and called me again sayin it died again so i primed it n it was fine for about five minutes and died.it did this 4 more times down the road until it got so bad that i could only keep it runnin if i kept the rpms above 1500. if it dropped below it would die. so i was tryin to baby it back to the house n it died altogether. i tried priming it again but wouldnt prime. so i got some ether (found out later i guess i shouldnt do that) n it ran for a couple seconds off the ether. so i rebuilt the fuel filter head and checked for cracks and now i can prime it, but now it doesnt start. it just cranks and doesnt even try to fire. the prime button goes soft after a couple minutes after pumping it hard. i hooked up my cheap scan tool and theres no codes. theres no air comin out of the bleeder screw when priming and i pushed on the schrader valve and its a steady bubble free stream of fuel. i am completely lost now cuz always worked on gassers. this is my first diesel. i also replaced the plastic bleed screw with a billet one just in case btw. The truck is also bone stock original. Any advice would b greatly appreciated

Last edited by moose03lb7crew; 11-15-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 04:39 AM
CRAZY CANUCK

Garage
If you're losing prime you have an airleak in the fuel system somewhere, it should never lose prime if the fuel system is air tight, may be a loose injector line....

Aaron the Crazy Canuck
2006 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500: LBZ - Allison, Greystone Metallic, 4x4,PPE airbox mod, missing muffler/cat, EFILive tuned by Nick at duramaxtuner, MA tie-rod sleeves and Grade C headgaskets
Totalled!! May 2nd 2008-2005 Dodge Ram 3500 laramie: Cummins auto, plain white, rebuilt tranny
1986 Mercury Capri - 5.0L, AOD, shorty headers, acell ignition, Holly street dominator intake, Holly 625 vacuum secondaries carb, Dual glass packs "my little yellow terror"

DURAMAX INDEX; You want a Duramax? you want to click on this >>The Duramax Index

Canadian Club Member #1
Singles Club member #186
Ridin Dirty Club #5

TDG MAFIA

Check out the NEW and IMPROVED TDG Truck Poll!
TDG TOTQ
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Thanx, that will give me an idea what to start with. Gona put air to tank this weekend n c if i can c a leak.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Put air to the tank tonight n heard massive air whistling from above the tank. Assuming rubber fuel lines need replaced. Check for sure tomorow
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:48 PM

I had a similar problem today. Truck still won't start. The code reader scanned 3 codes. P0335=Crankshaft Position A Circuit Malfunction, P1283 APP Sensor 2 circuit high voltage, P1639 5 volt reference 2 low. Any ideas?

Thanks,
lindy

Lindy02GMC
02 GMC 2500HD CrewCab 4x4
Green Metallic. Some cosmetic upgrades, MBRP 4" exhaust, Edge Juice w/Attitude, 20" Wolverines on 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
The cp3 on my truck to a crap. Garage said wasnt putting out enough pressure to start... Dont know too much bout diesels but i think if theres somethin wrong with the crank or cam sensor the injectors wont fire?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode