cool down - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by jduramax, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 1072 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

cool down

here's probably a stupid question: i know that with these turbo charged trucks you have to let the turbo cool down after having driven for awhile. how long is long enough?? i would imagine that its common sense. longer cooldown after coming from a highway drive towing a trailer. just thought i'd get other's inputs...... cheers!:smoke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Supporting Vendor

Usually as soon as I get her parked in the garage she is cool enough to turn off. :Thumbup:

Diane
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:17 AM

do you have an egt guage? if you do then most people say you gotta let it get down to like 300 degrees, not sure how strict that is but that's what i'd do.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:07 AM

Usually when my pyro hits 300ish... doesn't take very long if I'm not on it beforehand....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:40 AM
BUG JUICER and

EGT represents the temperature of exhaust before it has even arrived at the turbo. How does that help gauge anything? Not trying to be argumentative here, just factual, so consider what I am saying for a moment. I can raise or lower my egt 50-75 degrees just by switching the AC on and off. Is AC affecting the temperature of my turbo?

I know this has been used as conventional wisdom for a long time, but somebody please find the guy who started this EGT thing, and shoot him.

Michael
Vehicle Systems Engineer/Professional Tuner
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

Learn about INDUCTION OVERHEATING

ECM's FOR SALE
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 01:27 PM
SRW Cartell #27

What is your method Killerbee or do you have one?

Personally on a normally daily drive when you get home if you wait for the EGT to drop to 300deg that will take anywhere from 30 seconds or more depending on your truck setup. Factory trucks may take longer. But it is not a reference of the degrees but the time it takes to drop too 300 Deg. After I have been pulling a load for a while it can take up to 5 min to get it to 300deg . Usually it will set on 400-500 for about 3+ min. So it is not in reference to the actual EGT TEMP but to give a delay before shutting it off. It is an easy reference.

Now personally I will let my truck set and idle for long periods of time after a good haul it is not uncommon for me to leave it running for 30 min before I shut down. Do you have to .. NO I know guys that never run thought cool down and their trucks are running just fine. Personally i think it is a good idea ...

1999.5 F250 4x4 super cab 7.3L With edge attituede.
Converter lockup mod and EBPV exaust brake mod.
Air Hog cold air intake. Muffler delete, 35s on centerlines.
New F650 dash upgrade..

1995 F250 Single cab long bed 2wd.

2001 LB7 2500HD SOLD
AEM Brute Force intake, 5 1/2 stack exaust, Diablo Sport Predator Programmer. PPE boost valve, Autolite gauges. Built Allison (Alto steels, Red eagle clutches, Transgo shift kit, transgo lockup valve, and Personal Mods : ) edelbrock 1792 lift pump.

Singles Club Member #27
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

i've never let my truck idle for half an hour but i know where you're coming from. i don't currently have an egt gauge but i think i'll get one. i tow a fifth wheel in the summer months here. i don't abuse or push the truck hard but i can still imagine how hot that turbo must be getting. usually when we get to a campground i let the truck idle the time it takes for me to position the trailer in the site and unhook truck from trailer(10-15 minutes) now while driving without towing anything i usually only let the truck idle a minute or so, especially intown driving. and i'm really very easy on my vehicles. no abuse...........:smoke
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 08:13 PM
BUG JUICER and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacked6600
What is your method Killerbee or do you have one?

Personally on a normally daily drive when you get home if you wait for the EGT to drop to 300deg that will take anywhere from 30 seconds or more depending on your truck setup. Factory trucks may take longer. But it is not a reference of the degrees but the time it takes to drop too 300 Deg. After I have been pulling a load for a while it can take up to 5 min to get it to 300deg . Usually it will set on 400-500 for about 3+ min. So it is not in reference to the actual EGT TEMP but to give a delay before shutting it off. It is an easy reference.

Now personally I will let my truck set and idle for long periods of time after a good haul it is not uncommon for me to leave it running for 30 min before I shut down. Do you have to .. NO I know guys that never run thought cool down and their trucks are running just fine. Personally i think it is a good idea ...
FWIW, I don't use a method, but common sense, like you have shared in your post. Though I have an idea that 30 minutes is a 29 minute waste of the ozone layer. But your point is well stated, and the most important thing is having some situational awareness that the charger is hot, like you say, after sustained high load boost.

What is really an improvement these days, over the oil cooled designs of yesteryear, is that the water jacket will liberate an enormous amount of heat vaporizing the coolant locally. This act keeps the turbo oil well below the 450 degree coking temps, as the evaporation occurs under 300 F.

But if I were going to suggest a better method, for the older turbos that are not jacketed, it would be oil pan temps. Even that has some debate, but at least you are measuring the properties of the medium that is the applicable concern, oil, and oil coking.

I don't remember ever hearing about a coking issue with these turbos, so this whole thread, and the countless others like it, might be mute discussions.

In my own venture, I did find that it is very difficult to get EGT to reduce, and in a big part of that was the rise in airbox IAT as it sits idling, compounded with no flow over the CAC. It is physically impossible to get EGT below 350 degrees here, as others will report from time to time. IAT will rise as high as 190 sitting in the drive, and post CAC temps have gone to 240. That is because of the AC condenser heat load, and the ever rising IAT. So I guess the "300 or whatever" rule is arbitrary.

Michael
Vehicle Systems Engineer/Professional Tuner
04.5 GMC 2500HD SRW LLY

Learn about INDUCTION OVERHEATING

ECM's FOR SALE
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 PM
SRW Cartell #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jduramax
i've never let my truck idle for half an hour but i know where you're coming from. i don't currently have an egt gauge but i think i'll get one. i tow a fifth wheel in the summer months here. i don't abuse or push the truck hard but i can still imagine how hot that turbo must be getting. usually when we get to a campground i let the truck idle the time it takes for me to position the trailer in the site and unhook truck from trailer(10-15 minutes) now while driving without towing anything i usually only let the truck idle a minute or so, especially intown driving. and i'm really very easy on my vehicles. no abuse...........:smoke

Jduramax You are doing fine just like most people here and like KillerBee said just use common sence.. If it is hot it doesnt take a long time to lower the temps on the turbo but yes it is a good idea. In the 10-15 min it takes to park your trailer that is more than enough time to cool down after a long load.:Thumbup: and as far as in town driving your temps are not sustained long enough to really heat the turbo up .. The time it takes to pull in the drive way and park is probibly good. :Thumbup:

1999.5 F250 4x4 super cab 7.3L With edge attituede.
Converter lockup mod and EBPV exaust brake mod.
Air Hog cold air intake. Muffler delete, 35s on centerlines.
New F650 dash upgrade..

1995 F250 Single cab long bed 2wd.

2001 LB7 2500HD SOLD
AEM Brute Force intake, 5 1/2 stack exaust, Diablo Sport Predator Programmer. PPE boost valve, Autolite gauges. Built Allison (Alto steels, Red eagle clutches, Transgo shift kit, transgo lockup valve, and Personal Mods : ) edelbrock 1792 lift pump.

Singles Club Member #27
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thanks for all the input guys. this is why i like this site so much....cheers!:thanks:
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode