Exhaust Question - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by codyr6, this thread has received 17 replies and been viewed 1633 times.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exhaust Question

Hello to everyone, I just joined the site and had a couple of questions bout exhausts. 1st off my new LB7 diesel is stock and its quiet as hell (my dodge was way louder) and it is pissin me off. What would happen if I just cut the muffler out and had it as a straight pipe (fume issues)? Would it sound loud and awful, or just loud as hell? And would I gain any power or damage anything from a straight pipe? Wouldnt it affect backpressure ? Another question is could I maybe just drill out the muffler? I dont do a hole lot of mechanicin on my truck so I am guessin that a few holes in the muffler would be the easist thing for me to do (a redneck friend of mine told me but his truck is worth 700 bucks mine is worth 20k, so I dont wanna destroy it). Also eventually I wanna get smokestacks (income tax return time) so this straight pipe thing would just be a quick fix for my sound issue, but itd still be a 3 inch pipe, the stacks will be 4 or 5 and they will be professionally installed (by a real mechanic...lol). Thanks for any input you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 08:31 PM

Don't drill out the muffler, that's just dumb. Ive had mine stragiht piped for a few years now and it is just fine. Sounds awesome when you get on it. I would like to upgrade to a larger exhaust so I can install a muffler and not affect my egt's. Think hard about installing stacks, they take up room in the bed, get warm, cost a bunch of $$ and make a mess. Here's what I would do: 1. straight pipe it, if you take it to a muffler shop it shouldn't be anymore than $50. 2. get some gauges (egt, trans temp and boost) 3. Buy a tuner that will give you around 100hp. But that's just what I would do.

Turbocharged engines don't need backpressure.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckey73
Don't drill out the muffler, that's just dumb. Ive had mine stragiht piped for a few years now and it is just fine. Sounds awesome when you get on it. I would like to upgrade to a larger exhaust so I can install a muffler and not affect my egt's. Think hard about installing stacks, they take up room in the bed, get warm, cost a bunch of $$ and make a mess. Here's what I would do: 1. straight pipe it, if you take it to a muffler shop it shouldn't be anymore than $50. 2. get some gauges (egt, trans temp and boost) 3. Buy a tuner that will give you around 100hp. But that's just what I would do.

Turbocharged engines don't need backpressure.
What he said, may want to get a tuner that has more potential down the road when and if you ever have a trans built.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 12:02 PM
TDG Mafia # 81

I just bought my Dmax last night and it has a 5in straight piped exhaust on it and it sounds great :Thumbup: . Not too loud, maybe to the soccer mom driving her mini van, but I dont care about that. I can say that a straight 5in will not wake up my 1yo in the truck when I romp on it, so in my book its good to go.

If your dash already has a trans temp on it, then dont buy another one, just get boost and egt setup, mine are in the overhead console. Looks clean and not in your way. For the moment, cut your cat and muffler, and you will really hear the truck then.

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Thanks for the help guys, If i just cut the muffler out wont I have fume issues inside the truck? I think I may swing ove to the a muffler shop and see how much they'll charge me to straight pipe it out the back (the stock diameter piping), and how much more it would cost me to straight pipe a 5 inch exhaust out the back. I really like smokestacks, and wouldnt miss the bedspace (used to having a tool box there anyways) but If the price is right and he sound is good then I may settle for that, and put the money into a lift kit instead. Do any of you guys reccomend a good chip that would have a setting for "daily driving" (mpg enhancement) then for "Redneck driving" (power) because I cant afford to drive to work and get 10mpg but on the weekends in the mudd id love to hit a switch and get bigger BALLZ. Thanks again guys your a huge help!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
what do i need the other two gauges for (EGT and boost), or is that just for when I get it chipped up? Id definatly like to straight pipe it this weekend if money allows but if the gauges are nescessary too, it may have to wait.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 05:02 PM
diesel idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyr6
Thanks for the help guys, If i just cut the muffler out wont I have fume issues inside the truck? I think I may swing ove to the a muffler shop and see how much they'll charge me to straight pipe it out the back (the stock diameter piping), and how much more it would cost me to straight pipe a 5 inch exhaust out the back. I really like smokestacks, and wouldnt miss the bedspace (used to having a tool box there anyways) but If the price is right and he sound is good then I may settle for that, and put the money into a lift kit instead. Do any of you guys reccomend a good chip that would have a setting for "daily driving" (mpg enhancement) then for "Redneck driving" (power) because I cant afford to drive to work and get 10mpg but on the weekends in the mudd id love to hit a switch and get bigger BALLZ. Thanks again guys your a huge help!
EFIlive with a DSP2 or DSP5 switch. Will let you switch custom tunes on the fly. Take your money for a lift and save it for a transmission build, its the first weak link! As far as your muffler goes, just go buy some 3.5" pipes and two band clamps for it and bam your done.

2004 Chevy CC/SB LB7 LT3
EFILive, SC Trans w/ 1058 by me, Traction bars and centerlink braces built by me, Custom adjustable stock wastegate, 6 inch custom exhaust, 1792 Lift Pump, Belltech 3" drop shackles, Black H2's w/ Falken 285/60/17s for summer, BFG 315/70/17s for winter, SD sleeves, DiPricol EGT and Boost gauges on the pillar along with an Aeroforce for rail PSI and trans temp, 2 Kicker Comp CVT 10's w/ memphis amp, t-rex full face billet grille,limo tint, .Oh yeah I'm 20 and I built and tuned it myself.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 05:04 PM
diesel idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehaulin
I just bought my Dmax last night and it has a 5in straight piped exhaust on it and it sounds great :Thumbup: . Not too loud, maybe to the soccer mom driving her mini van, but I dont care about that. I can say that a straight 5in will not wake up my 1yo in the truck when I romp on it, so in my book its good to go.

If your dash already has a trans temp on it, then dont buy another one, just get boost and egt setup, mine are in the overhead console. Looks clean and not in your way. For the moment, cut your cat and muffler, and you will really hear the truck then.

Tony
you got a dmax now!?? hell yeah brother

2004 Chevy CC/SB LB7 LT3
EFILive, SC Trans w/ 1058 by me, Traction bars and centerlink braces built by me, Custom adjustable stock wastegate, 6 inch custom exhaust, 1792 Lift Pump, Belltech 3" drop shackles, Black H2's w/ Falken 285/60/17s for summer, BFG 315/70/17s for winter, SD sleeves, DiPricol EGT and Boost gauges on the pillar along with an Aeroforce for rail PSI and trans temp, 2 Kicker Comp CVT 10's w/ memphis amp, t-rex full face billet grille,limo tint, .Oh yeah I'm 20 and I built and tuned it myself.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Nasty Girl

Send a message via MSN to Nasty Girl
EFI live might be a bit excessive for what your doing. I would go with a switchable box tuner if you don't plan on being in the "Big" horsepower game eventually. EFI live is a software program you can purchase but if your not a "tuner" you will need to either buy or find some freebee tunes that are available.

2003/2500HD CREW CAB SILVERADO
Maximized Performance Big Bad Twins, Dual CP3's and 5" dual exhaust with 5"downpipe.
1036 RWHP Dunbar Dyno Approved!
Worlds Most Powerful Duramax
Maximized Performance SoCal Diesel Stuff Ridge Runner Diesel Performance Inglewood Transmission Service DPR
Nasty Shine....1000 proof!
Member #1 of the 1000 RWHP Duramax club on #2 only!
TDG TOTM Winner for March/07 https://www.thedieselgarage.com/TOTM/mar07.htm

Smoked Goat It's Whats For Dinner!!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:31 PM
diesel idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Girl
EFI live might be a bit excessive for what your doing. I would go with a switchable box tuner if you don't plan on being in the "Big" horsepower game eventually. EFI live is a software program you can purchase but if your not a "tuner" you will need to either buy or find some freebee tunes that are available.
Theres tons of tunes available. When i got mine I just asked people to share tunes with me. I have over 60 tunes that people were eager to share.

2004 Chevy CC/SB LB7 LT3

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode